69 521 Build

earlyvws

So I have been working out all the stupid little issue and ran into a new one. Test fut the cab/ motor/tranny/bed.

Cab won't go all the way down. The UCA do not have enough room in the OG opening for the body to clear. The front is about 3" from the mount. So in the pics the cab is tilted up in the front.

The bed is sitting on the arches. It seems that the width underneath is not wider then the frame. Of course I don't have any of the shims. So is this normal, does the bed sit higher then the arch over the rear axle.

After the motor went in it slammed the front end. Is there a sequence to installing the torsions from scratch? I get how to do it when u mark everything before taking apart, but does anyone have recommendations how to start from zero?

D59CEE4B-604D-4603-98D3-84E0F24E8DF5.jpg

173599C0-3B4C-41E5-AC0F-1BA7D8EF97BB.jpg

918746B2-D224-408F-96A1-16CEC8E75070.jpg

So I will be redoing the caster arm things (whatever they are called) the brackets I made are just way to big. Finished the shocks, and took apart the leaf springs. I'm going to use the eyelet spring from the 521 and the other springs from the d21. I will include the overload bar but the center bolt wasn't long enough. Also I can't find any 4" blocks around here. Any suggestions? I don't want to have to order online if I don't have to.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I don't know what the near future holds for me building cars. I have till June to finish everything currently being worked on. After that not sure what will happen next. My in-laws want to retire and sell their warehouse where I have all my shit.

So I have been trying to figure out what next. If I can come up with a solution, I would be in a position to paint ur truck for sure. I am not the greatest painter, but I can pull off decent paint jobs.

Unfortunately/ fortunately I have friends that are some of the best painters and fabricators so I'm the amature compared to them.

• Like 1

I got working on redoing the brackets for the bars that I can't remember what there called no matter how many times I hear the name. So I got a little far into before I remembered to take a pic. I hole sawed and angle cut into a square tube a machined 2 circles out of some drops I had left from another project. I think this will have a clean look for the fastest result. Some of my other ideas were to large scale, and my first attempt was ridiculous.

So here are some pics.

8DCCCE8B-2DF4-4EBD-A249-BB2FE813C078.jpg

A52260B2-9B38-4A41-925D-973FEC7B8177.jpg

0F049B26-020D-4A19-9309-275C109A74DA.jpg

7D976F94-20F3-4D8F-9CE6-B5DADB184AA3.jpg

So this is getting close to the end of the frame work. Have to go back and finish welding a few things and and some more meat to these brackets I made tonight. And relocate the stock sway bar as the d21 will not work.

• Like 1

Well my first attempt was like factory but it is so large to fit the stupid bushings. They were going to stick out like a sore thumb.

These I think will be plenty strong. The circle is machined one pice that is 1/2" think on the perimeter and 1/4" thick in the middle. The square tubing is 3/16" and the circle is recessed into the square tube at an angle cut increasing the welding surface. The gussets are 1/4" and tied into every piece.

Considering the factory ones are roughly 14 gauge sheet metal that is double layered only in the middle and spot welded in the majority of the bracket, I think at the very least I have equalled the factory but have a cleaner look.