69 521 Build

earlyvws

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just poking fun at you. This is why I did this build thread, cuz I don't know what all the cool kids are doing. I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel at every stage. So everyone's input is making this better. I just know VWs back words and forward I can do it in my sleep. Know almost every trick, what works, what can be deleted rerouted, improved etc...

where do i look for the month the car was manufactured in? i went to the parts store to get rear drums for my buddys 67 bug but there was two sizes i wasnt sure wich to get...

another question, when you go to take off 80% of the time the car shakes really bad and other times it will be smooth but some guy he bought a fender off of told him something about the tube the clutch cable goes in is broken or some thing? I was told it could be the tranny mounts but I checked them out they seemed to be good. it only happens when you take off I was kinda thinking he just needs to get used to the car but im not sure

Oh adjustment may be putting shims between the tube as it enters the casting of the tranny near the arrow pointing to A. Head stud washers are perfect. But if u don't want to pull the clutch cable out, which can be impossible sometimes, u can make the shims into a u shape and slip them in kind of like camber shims.

ok thanks for this again. he wants to send the car to the buggy house in Hayward but they charge $80 for something we might be able to figure out ourselves just trying to save him a few coins.

and can everything be done in the car or does the tranny have to come out? the guy my friend got the info from said it has to come out or we have to take the rear floor out to get to it?

I can be done installed. But if u need to change the Bowden tube for a new one, then I suggest getting a new clutch cable and just cut the cable and Bowden tube out and reinstall. It is nearly impossible to get the clutch cable out of the old Bowden tube.

If u can still use what is there, and it needs more bend, get some shims like the u shaped camber shims on the front of ur 521 and loosen the wing nut/ nut on the clutch cable. When u have all the tension off the cable u should be able to pull the Bowden tube out a little and slip in the shims where point A is on the diagram. That will give u the desired bend u need. After the bend is there u need it, retighten the wing nut until u have the proper clutch pedal adjustment as in the other page I included. Test drive and maybe need to loosen or tighten wing depending what's going on.