(INSOMNIACS) balls deep.

Yeah,interesting film indeed.

Liberace sure lived how he wanted to,which I reckon is more than many people can really say. 

except that he denied his sexuality to his death-bed. That's always seemed sad to me. I loved him as a kid on the Muppet Show or Carson, total showman.

• Like 1
  • Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smoke

• laotsu

• flatcat19

• q-tip

Top Posters In This Topic

except that he denied his sexuality to his death-bed. That's always seemed sad to me. I loved him as a kid on the Muppet Show or Carson, total showman.

So true,owing to the period he lived in he was in the "closet" .

It was obvious of course to all that he was one.

A London newspaper lost a law suit Liberace took against them for printing that he was gay.

His reasons for suing were purely commercial as were he to be "out" so many people would not do business with him.

This was the same for Rock Hudson and a lot of Hollywood actors/actresses.

So true,owing to the period he lived in he was in the "closet" .

It was obvious of course to all that he was one.

A London newspaper lost a law suit Liberace took against them for printing that he was gay.

His reasons for suing were purely commercial as were he to be "out" so many people would not do business with him.

This was the same for Rock Hudson and a lot of Hollywood actors/actresses.

yeah a lot of societal censure on that front. That's the big reason it bugs me when somebody uses a homosexual reference in a negative manner. Like if somebody says "That's ghey." I don't care that you are mis-spelling the word to remove it from the sexuality you are still suggesting that somebodies nature is negative. I "get" the sentiment, usually the person is trying to say "That is really effete and I feel threatened by the idea that something like that can exist without need for the macho physicality I find so necessary in life."

• Like 2

yeah a lot of societal censure on that front. That's the big reason it bugs me when somebody uses a homosexual reference in a negative manner. Like if somebody says "That's ghey." I don't care that you are mis-spelling the word to remove it from the sexuality you are still suggesting that somebodies nature is negative. I "get" the sentiment, usually the person is trying to say "That is really effete and I feel threatened by the idea that something like that can exist without the need for the macho physicality I find so necessary in life."

I hear ya.

As a teen we would say "that's so gay" and meant like as if gay or homosexual was lame etc all the while I did not fully realise (or take the time to think on) the negative connotation and where it was coming from.

The wording is still used a lot even in pop culture;

yeah it's a huge civil rights issue. I have evolved to be intensely individualistic and am shocked and dismayed when I see others toeing the line of status quo. That individualism that I hold dear feels threatened when I see others being persecuted for being who they are. I suppose it's a bit of the old  "When the Nazis came for the Communists.." argument, if you are going to ridicule that guy for being the way he is what's to say one day I wont be the subject of ridicule. Unless someone is harming others I don't really have a problem, I might troll them and think they are an asshole but I don't feel righteous about it.

On the gay topic: i was a young teenager when Rock Hudson came out and it was almost as shocking as the death of Elvis had been a few years earlier. So many people just could not accept that such a handsome, rugged man was a lifelong homosexual and now Neil Patrick Harris thrives off that same sexual orientation that kept guys like Caesar Romero and Grampa Walton in fear for their careers.