• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smoke

• laotsu

• flatcat19

• q-tip

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, finally some pics in your build thread..

To re seat it, just loosen the adjusting nut on the opposite side until you can wiggle the rocker arm with your fingers. Turn the crank until the cam lobe is pointing straight up(to give you more clearance). When you have enough clearance, via the adjustment nut, simply lift the rocker arm off, turn the little pad 90 degrees and sit it back in. Now's a good time to check/adjust the rest of your valves as well. As long as you don't see any big gouges on the cam, it should be OK.

I am thinking maybe its a sticky valve.

Sticky valve is unlikely unless you starved it of oil at some point,,  Fats 720 had a rattle like that ,, no matter how tight or loose you set valves same tick,,,, probably set them 5-6 times in just a day for at least 2 days straight , ended up the valve seat dropped out. 

so, if I set the lash, hot, and the tap persists do you guys think it can handle 4k RPM for six hours? I am supposed to drive home week after next and I will just leave the truck at home and try to find a $1000 Sentra to drive back.

Uh, no.  All you're going to do is beat the bearing into a pulp and then it will let loose entirely and either hole your block or destroy the head/piston/valves/all of the above.  Best case, you could remove the oil pan and cheat by just replacing the rod bearings and tightening back up.  See this thread for what wafered bearings look like:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/55815-project-chump-truckautocross-truck-d21/

One other thing that could cause this... Does the fuel pump have the plastic spacer between it and the head? Without it, the pump arm sits too fat in and will jump off the eccentric and 'rub' the cam sprocket

All your lash pads are on ??   Yeah oil is definitely going to be flying EVERYWHERE!!, if you run it like that.    My neighbor has a valve cover with just the very top cut off from just past the chain back.,,, and that shit still flys every god damn where.