• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smoke

• laotsu

• flatcat19

• q-tip

Top Posters In This Topic

I made an evaporative cooler tonight!  For under $100.  PVC pipe, about 2 feet long, 8-10 holes of very tiny variety.  Cap, adapter to hose fitting.  One green semi-fiberous mat.  Zip-tie tube to mat, hang from window frame that pushes out, put fan on inside next to bed.  Turn on hose, turn on fan, booyah!  Way cheaper than an AC machine.  Does it work as well?  No.  And frankly I could make a better design.  But for 30 minutes of screwing around, I have a functional way to cool my room down.  Winner!  The fan was $60 too, grabbed the wrong one.  Oh well, needed another anyway.

• Like 1

I'm sure he'll find a droll retort for that, as well.... you just can't slip anything past that razor sharp wit.

I got nothin for that one  :rofl: didn't mean to ruffle your feathers if i did was just having a lil fun, haven't had a day off in weeks...

Damn it, I think one of the guys that shares studio space in my building is turning into a hoarder. We had one in here before and it was a bitch to get em out.

this newer guy is now collecting mothr fckin bamboo.

will you please just die and leave me a couple hundred for the dumpster.

back to the work subject 

I am in charge of many people at work different guys different crews etc 

I have earned there respect by working with them suggesting ways to do things and accepting that my way is not always the fastest or the best 

I have worked in construction for the same guy for 20 years 

he pays me well respects my decisions backs my decisions 100% even if his decision would have been different then tells me how he would have done it 

I learned respect is earned you give respect you get respect and if they dont respect you after that they usually dont last to long 

once a guy asked me why I wasn't cleaning footings with the other guys when I was working on something more important that other guys didnt know how to do

I told him I would do his job if he could do mine and if I had to do his job I wouldnt need him anymore for the day  

he said I dont know how to do what you are doing so I asked him if he wanted me to do his job and he could go home he said no 

he learned RESPECT that day 

• Like 3

once a guy asked me why I wasn't cleaning footings with the other guys when I was working on something more important that other guys didnt know how to do

I told him I would do his job if he could do mine and if I had to do his job I wouldnt need him anymore for the day  

he said I dont know how to do what you are doing so I asked him if he wanted me to do his job and he could go home he said no 

he learned RESPECT that day 

many times this analogy breaks down in practice because it depends on the supervised being unqualified for the supervisor's position and the supervisor being qualified for both positions. I have found over the years that it is often the case that both are either qualified to fill either position, complete interchangeability, or neither is qualified to do either.

I made an evaporative cooler tonight!  For under $100.  PVC pipe, about 2 feet long, 8-10 holes of very tiny variety.  Cap, adapter to hose fitting.  One green semi-fiberous mat.  Zip-tie tube to mat, hang from window frame that pushes out, put fan on inside next to bed.  Turn on hose, turn on fan, booyah!  Way cheaper than an AC machine.  Does it work as well?  No.  And frankly I could make a better design.  But for 30 minutes of screwing around, I have a functional way to cool my room down.  Winner!  The fan was $60 too, grabbed the wrong one.  Oh well, needed another anyway.

Let's see pics!

It's pretty rudimentary.  I need to build a better system with a catch basin below and an outlet out the window to drain.  The material isn't that great I've found now.  It doesn't trap the moisture well.  I'm thinking I may be able to sandwich cardboard strips in between another layer to keep them from fragmenting out.  Or maybe some cotton t shirt strips, that might work.  Anyway, simple enough, just need to refine it a bit.

By the way, the air-hose style hose connections are just the bee's knees.  I started using them a few years back and they are ever so nice.

IMG_6645_zpse7adf6b8.jpg

There's no reason not to recycle the water. It's not the water that cools... it's the evaporation. You could have small pump in a catch basin below feeding a top manifold and let it trickle back down. Just check and refill the water every day or so. Perhaps strips of damp denim like vertical blinds but closer together just enough for air has to get through. 

• Like 1