• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smoke

• laotsu

• flatcat19

• q-tip

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick-rat

Have you ever thought about just getting a job and doing what you are supposed to do and keeping your lip zipped, or are you one of the  "entitlement generation"  that believe you should start at the top and work your way down

• Like 2

Have you ever thought about just getting a job and doing what you are supposed to do and keeping your lip zipped, or are you one of the  "entitlement generation"  that believe you should start at the top and work your way down

You mean the Baby Boomers? They'll all be gone very soon.

• Like 3

Actually, I have like zero room to make fun of the kid in this area. You would think that 20 years in the Corps would make me good at just doing what I was told and keeping my yap shut...but my research have come back and the answer is no, I can't. However...I will say that if I really NEEDED the job, like to live, I'm pretty sure I could pull my shit together................................pretty sure.

Depends on the pay and how they treat me as to how I act. I am not putting up with an asshole boss and constantly getting screwed over for crappy pay! I am no one's door mat nor am I one to shit on. My work speaks for itself. I am respectable and treat those well who do the same for me. Not kissing anyone's ass. You get respected that way.

That's just it. My last (and probably THE last) boss I had would talk to me as if I was 5 years old or he thought that I had the mental capacity of a bad of wet mice. In just one example...the fucker made it a point to come out and tell me that the dyno room is loud and before I go in it, I should wear ear plugs. That does not sound THAT bad right? I mean, yeah, I can figure out when something is loud without being told it's loud, just like I don't need to be told that I am on fire, I already know. But...the assclown took like 10 minutes of my time telling me about loud noises, hearing damage, where the ear plugs were and how to use them. The best part......I already had in fuckin ear plugs and showed them to him before he started his sermon, he just HAD to finish, because it was clear to him that my Mommy put in my ear plugs before I left the house....after all, How could I possibly be intelligent enough to figure it out on my own due to the fact that I was not wearing a Cosby sweater, khaki pants, shiny shoes, strolling around with a cup of coffee and making six figures a year by doing NOTHING. Shit like that started to eat at me and one day, he was telling me I should not stick my fingers in the fan of a running engine or something. I turned to him, twisted up my face, stuck out my front teeth and went DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH! really loud. The next day, someone told me I was no longer needed.

Soooo, yeah, I'm no good at the job thing.

• Like 1

I've been told about seven times in the past six years that I have an attendance problem. I've yelled at supervisors and leads and fucked up countless times but ain't been fired yet. Even told one supervisor to fuck off multiple times and he just shrugged it off as long as none of the other mechanics were around to hear it

Keep my head down, do the job and ignore all the rules to an extent. I really don't know how I'm still employed when the wrong person overhearing me talk can get me fired. And I echo the building half the time

Bull shit! The only power a boss has is respect. I had to fire a guy Thursday. I woulda fired him Wednesday, but he didn't show up.

He couldn't seem to make it to work 4 days a week. I don't see how that's possible, but he had excuses two or three times a week why he had to leave, or couldn't come in on time.

He didn't respect me. I earn my respect through working with people, not intimidating them, but if you disrespect me openly, you're fired.

I promise you that when you eventually have employees under you, you'll feel the same.

• Like 2

A guy not showing up is not really a lack of respect but rather just a lazy shit head. I was in charge of a lot of men for a lot of years (gy sgt), where their lives mattered, not just whether they would get a paycheck next week. While I did demand they respect me and what I say, I learned really quick that I needed to show them respect first. In example, I would not pull a man aside and explain to him for 10 minutes that a knife is sharp and that he should not stab himself with it. That would be me showing him a lack of respect by suggesting he is a total dipshit. Now, I could and would yell at a guy and call him a dipshit, but apples and oranges really. If I just strutted around talking to them all as if they were beneath me, was never in the shit with them and so on, they would still obey me, but would have zero respect. I will grant you that the work environment of being in charge of a guy who sells water heaters (or whatever) is vastly different, because in that situation, fake respect is good enough, or fear of getting fired. It's a bit different when everyone's life is is in danger, including your own. In that case, you need real respect and the same for you toward them.

I have been called out in a goofy manner more times than I can remember for something I did or said. I found it alright, because I already knew I had his respect and did not feel I needed to prove anything by puffing up and reminding him who was in charge. What it boils down to is that I am not able to fit into office politics where I have to fake respect a person that shows me none, I just can't pull it off, I will crack and get canned.

On the other hand, if it's a boss who was "just a guy" and had not taken a bunch of used car salesman type classes on how to manipulate workers into doing what you say with some kind of phony psychology, that I would find respect for. But....this guy.

This guy I am going have an issue with.

• Like 1

Even ditch diggers have a lead man. Believe it or not, hard work gets noticed.

I have a lead and I refuse to take that position, though the current crew I work with would probably respect me more as a lead than we do the current one, I still refuse that position. There's to much paperwork and politics that my current lead has accepted from the supervisor.

My current lead feels that ridiculing someone and treating every person like shit is going to improve morale and the crews tolerance of him which isn't the case. Very few of my fellow underlings feel respect towards him and are hurt if he doesn't talk to them in a day. I know of at least half of my crew that prefers it when he's not here

There's a few alpha dogs on the crew, and you can tell who they are when it comes down to group jobs but otherwise were generally self managed with our work packages. The lead is just there to procure new parts and make sure everything is running smoothly so that everyone can do their jobs.

I have more respect for my coworkers than I do my leadership, and that's all positions. They take care of their own and help out when they can and where it's required. My leadership sits on their asses all day bullshitting and trying to tell people what to do. Not something I have any interest in doing. I make enough in my current position to support my household