• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smoke

• laotsu

• flatcat19

• q-tip

Top Posters In This Topic

I can totally agree with all of that. While nobody is actively trying to kill me at work, the situation is very similar in construction. If the job doesn't get done efficiently and on time, we don't get the next job. If we don't get the next job, we all get laid off. No work means no money. No money means hungry kids. I've never asked an employee to do anything that I haven't done. If I gripe at a guy about safety, it's because he's doing something that could hurt him or worse, me.

I have worked at bigger companies wih th full time safety men who couldn't fathom how to effectively get a job done, and I hate them. Like for real hate. Like I hope their kids are sterile so they won't make more dipshits who are just leaks in my future payroll.

It's just that, I'm now on the other side of the boss coin, and I have a new perspective. I used to be the guy who missed days and said "work to live, don't live to work." These days I have to worry about more than my own ass though.

P.s. I mean no disrespect by claiming similarities. I know it's a whole different thing building oil field structures vs trying not to get killed serving my country. I just meant the respect of my guys is earned the same way.

• Like 1

currently my job is pretty rough....my boss is never here, i have unlimited access, to a full body shop, i can smoke, drink, snort and fuck anything anywhere, my bed is about 35yds away, make as much noise as i want, as long as shit gets done.... 

That sound's like what I imagine James' place to be like.

• Like 3

What Smoke said his last boss was like is my last boss, the service manager, at the Chevy dealer exactly. Didn't know how to treat employees, thought everyone was expendable, and was all "it's my way or the highway. He loved to have meetings based on sales and how we needed to sell more, and he also loved to thrown into every meeting about how if we didn't like it we could go somewhere else, he didn't care, and that was his exact words. He also loved to gouge us on our pay to cut payroll. He had been reported to the labor board a few times. He not only knew nothing about cars, he knew nothing about how to do his job. He literally got the job because his daddy was a partner and loaned the owner money to start up, a silent partner. He used to be a used car sales manger, which his daddy got him the job, but got demoted to one of the owner's golf buddies. The owner was a stuck up yuppie asshole, but whatever on him. This guy constantly kissed his ass along with the guy who replaced him. Final straw for me was him yelling at the whole damn shop on a day when it was 104 degrees with 70% humidity, and no we did not have AC. He stopped everyone from working to hold one of his typical bullshit meetings to bitch at all of us about speeding up and bitching about ones who had "given up" and went home early. The ones who had "given up" and went home early was a 70 year old man, and a guy who was recovering from cancer and currently going through chemotherapy treatment. I interrupted him and told him to shut up and go back to sit in his comfy air conditioned office since he had no idea what it was like to do any real work in his entire life, let alone work on a 200 degree engine in over 100 degree heat. And that we all felt like hell, especially those of us who were on the side of the shop facing the sun. I think what really pissed him off was the applause I got from the entire crew as I walked back to my bay, Everyone else followed suit. About a week later I was told I was "my services were no longer needed."

• Like 2

Sounds very normal, my last employer would come in a pick fights with everyone until finally one of the Latino guys pulled out a steel pipe. Guys from the British isle don't seem to grasp the concept that Americans don't fight as a passing time pleasure. Anyway a few weeks later the employer came in to work with a broken nose and most his grill blown out, he blamed it on a bicycle wreck, everyone had pretty much quit by then. This was ages ago.

What Smoke said his last boss was like is my last boss, the service manager, at the Chevy dealer exactly. Didn't know how to treat employees, thought everyone was expendable, and was all "it's my way or the highway. He loved to have meetings based on sales and how we needed to sell more, and he also loved to thrown into every meeting about how if we didn't like it we could go somewhere else, he didn't care, and that was his exact words. He also loved to gouge us on our pay to cut payroll. He had been reported to the labor board a few times. He not only knew nothing about cars, he knew nothing about how to do his job. He literally got the job because his daddy was a partner and loaned the owner money to start up, a silent partner. He used to be a used car sales manger, which his daddy got him the job, but got demoted to one of the owner's golf buddies. The owner was a stuck up yuppie asshole, but whatever on him. This guy constantly kissed his ass along with the guy who replaced him. Final straw for me was him yelling at the whole damn shop on a day when it was 104 degrees with 70% humidity, and no we did not have AC. He stopped everyone from working to hold one of his typical bullshit meetings to bitch at all of us about speeding up and bitching about ones who had "given up" and went home early. The ones who had "given up" and went home early was a 70 year old man, and a guy who was recovering from cancer and currently going through chemotherapy treatment. I interrupted him and told him to shut up and go back to sit in his comfy air conditioned office since he had no idea what it was like to do any real work in his entire life, let alone work on a 200 degree engine in over 100 degree heat. And that we all felt like hell, especially those of us who were on the side of the shop facing the sun. I think what really pissed him off was the applause I got from the entire crew as I walked back to my bay, Everyone else followed suit. About a week later I was told I was "my services were no longer needed."

I have had too many bosses like this. 

People not in the automotive industry have no clue. I have heard the worst stories from mechanics about treatment from management. 

Then throw in the politics from a dealership standpoint. FML. 

I am waiting for the day a Columbine incident happens in an auto shop. I know it's coming. 

My current boss is actually a pretty cool guy. I work at a huge dealership. We are very busy. Sales and service. 

I will say he has a problem with "his way." He is very set in his conclusion to a problem being the way it is. Period.

When a problem arises-his mind is made up about who, what, when, where, and why. He will never get the full story. Never even looks for it. 

When he has enough information to formulate a scenario-he's done. 

At that time he will go to the root of the problem and chastise. Wait-you're missing critical information. Nope. Plot has been set. Time for the show. 

I have been in that scenario with him a couple of times. Not pretty. Extremely frustrating.

I have learned that if I have a problem that may create a shitstorm I run to the boss as fast as I possibly can to just report that I fucked up and will do my best to remedy what had caused the dilemma at hand.

Sucks because it may not always be the full story behind the situation-but it's so much easier to eat raw egg than to make an omelette out of shit.  

• Like 2

So true, but in England guys go out eat, drink, dance, fight, drink some more fight some more, eat, fuck and then go to bed.

I would say that a dude who came here from Mexico, works two shit jobs, only to send his pissy paychecks to a family of four is not gonna play the same game. Its a death wish to start shit with someone in that situation, especially if money is involved.

The guy who got me fired 15 years ago just emailed me the other day looking for work. Haha, dude was a compulsive liar and for some reason the boss always sided with him. Both can kiss my fuckin ass now.

• Like 1

The guy who got me fired 15 years ago just emailed me the other day looking for work. Haha, dude was a compulsive liar and for some reason the boss always sided with him. Both can kiss my fuckin ass now.

Just send him a link to this post as your reply. 

• Like 1

Thick skin is a must in any of the "skilled trades"

It seems with management the worse they are at the job the more likely they are to become a manager, at least that's how it is at our shop

Yup. Hmm, they suck at their current job. Maybe they'd be better at just telling others to do their job. Promoted!

Not with me though. I got promoted cause I'm super awesome.

• Like 2

Be glad you ain't in my building. They brought a shit manager from Kansas vendor to be my manager. Oh and his boss got brought into production from warehouse thinking he knew his shit. Now we got a shit manager turned managers boss as a temp fill in because the last idiot got ran out like a pox

Thick skin is a must in any of the "skilled trades"

It seems with management the worse they are at the job the more likely they are to become a manager, at least that's how it is at our shop