Nissan IDx (new 510?)

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the Corvette looks one hell of a lot better than the original.  And it's a lot better vehicle.  And the Ford GT is better aerodynamically than the GT40, not to mention it still looks badass.

• Like 1

Whatever happened to this?

neo510-1_zps3a691ef8.jpg

I really like this.  I think it has a decent stance if it were to come from the factory like that. 

They made a new 510 in 1991:

M6NMGl3.jpg

I've always liked this style of 200sx, just could find one for a DD so I bought the next body style SE-R

Let's face it, Nissan designers have never been strong in the originality department, especially when it comes to sedans. The 510 was taken from the fiat 124 sedan and the BMW 2002 back in the day. Why Nissan would want to copy a different fiat design for the re-release of the "510" brand is truly beyond comprehension though. Why look to an older European designer who's idea of cool is obviously stuck in the 80s, (designer jeans? Hello) to do an updated redesign of a classic Japanese car from the 60s, so it will appeal to a disassociated youth market in 2015? Read the story of Rasputin and Wake up Nissan! Strapping cheap cosmetic design gimmicks like the BRE graphics and Coupe style mirrors to an arbitrary fiat body design is not going to carry the Iconic 510 image. If the body shape of the IDx shares very little continuity with the original, why waste the highly valuable 510 cache by associating it with this Frankenstein? It makes no sense.

What made the new Mustang, Charger, and Camero's appeal so successful is that the designers drew heavily from the classic shape of the original. Look at the new Dodge Dart and you'll see what throwing a manufacturer's heritage brand name onto some arbitrary Fiat design will get you. There has been success with the resurgence of the "Econo-box " design for appealing to the esthetic sensibility of the youth market. This plays into the hand of using more of the original 510's body shape, not less. If Nissan actually wants to compete in todays sport compact market, a 1.5L mounted to a CVT will not accomplish that. As a reintroduction of the Alfa Omega Japanese import tuner car to it's adoring fans, this concept is SERIOUSLY weak sauce.

My fear is that Nissan will squander a golden opportunity to really compete in this market with the legendary 510 name. I understand manufacturers must cast as broad a net as they can with a model like this, and Nissan can accomplish this goal with different drivetrain, suspension, and cosmetic package options. By spreading the body design updates too far and thin, they produced an impotent homogeneous design foundation. If they want to capitalize on the 510s heritage and avid following, so it WILL appeal to the greatest market audience, Nissan must stay true to the original body shape. Dilute it like IDx concept does, and the Nissan design team will fire off yet another weak swing, and a huge missed opportunity.

Please Nissan, show more respect to the classic beautiful of this car. Go back to the drawing board and use the original 510 as your source of inspiration, and don't try to completely reinvent it.

• Like 1

Seriously, cars all look the same these days.  It makes me sad.

Cars have to be economical and one of the best ways is to be aerodynamic. The laws of aerodynamics apply to all car makers so you are limited in what you can do. Basically you will continue to see blunt rounded front ends with nothing sticking out nor any cavities. They also must have resistance to low speed damage and high speed crumple zones so lots and lots of front end covered in plastic, five foot long slanted windshields and three foot deep dashes to protect the occupants.

This sums it up pretty well...

Cars have to be economical and one of the best ways is to be aerodynamic. The laws of aerodynamics apply to all car makers so you are limited in what you can do. Basically you will continue to see blunt rounded front ends with nothing sticking out nor any cavities. They also must have resistance to low speed damage and high speed crumple zones so lots and lots of front end covered in plastic, five foot long slanted windshields and three foot deep dashes to protect the occupants.

This sums it up pretty well...

Maybe so, but that doesn't mean they couldn't build a car that looks more like a 510 than this mashup POS.

By on board I do not mean I like

c'mon... how much fun would this be offroad?

Fuck that noise.

:sneaky:

t I'm sure Frenchy there had his hand in it enoight to make it look like the turd it is. WHY ARE CARS SO THICK!!!!!

....just another reason the french suck.....

Nissan-IDx-FreeFlow-Datsun-510-Concept-0

frenchy smells the thick :poop:

and BMW

BMW-E-30-Car-1_zps3b4a0cac.jpg

Yeah, except one is an overweight piece of shit you can't see out of because of all the blind spots in the driver's way due to massively thick a, b, and c pillars, and the other is a kick-ass driving machine.  Even boxy, it looks nice.

(The Chrysler was supposed to be there too, but no great loss as it's the former, not the latter)

Here's another problem with the IDx:  WHY ARE THE HEADLIGHTS SO FREAKING HIGH?????  Seriously, they might as well be mounted on the roof considering the massive space beneath.  Can I get a roof rack for the box van with some extra bright Hellas?

And yes, Mike, all cars nowadays do look like electric shavers, but they don't have to.  Nissan needs to pull their head out of their French frog ass and build something unique again.  Something that will truly give the BRZ/FRS (Fuck Toyota) a run for it's money.  Lowering the fucking hood is the first way to achieve that!!

• Like 1