If you want it done right - do it yourself

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it sounds nice in theory, but most people dont have the funds to pay someone else to do it

and the ones that have the funds learn to do it themselves or pay an actual shop for the swap 

IMO - the guy in the CL ad is one in 100 at best  

• Like 1

I don't believe you can pay someone enough money to take the time and care that you will.  If you love your car do it yourself. Even if you are really bad at it.

But if you cant set the timing on an L16, you shouldn't be putting a twin turbo VG in a 521.

Sometimes I go to craigslist/ cars and trucks, and type in "project". Pretty disturbing how many people completely disassemble a car, then strip it to bare metal, and walk away. No Clue.

Most of my cars have names.( Bob, Nesbitt, ect.) They are just like the dog or cats. When I see someone rip the guts out of a cool car and leave it for dead, it bothers me. When someone comes here and tells us they are about to do it, the first thing that comes to mind is "oh god, not again. Guilty.   

If you google Datsun anything, it brings you here. If you aren't willing to get educated and dirty, it wont happen.  

• Like 3

I saw this CL add too and was compelled to email the guy and give him some advice. Here is what I wrote:

Hey Man,

I'm really sorry to hear your story, because I know all too well what that feeling is like. Something about Santa Rosa and SR swap 510s. I had some wiring and fuel lines work done on my SR 510 by a shop in Santa Rosa called FLI (Fine Line Imports), and I got ripped off royal. I paid 3X the original estimate, it took them over a year to do the work, they totally hacked my brand new OEM wiring harness, and after they couldn't get it running, they told me the engine was shot. I took it to Rebello Racing and they had it running in 20 minutes. Bad dime juju inSanta Rosa for sure. 

I know how hard it was for me, and I commend you for picking yourself back up and push the build forward after something like that. I have no idea what your knowledge level is, so I hope I'm not insulting you by giving some advice. It's important to be aware that if you're looking for someone to do your KA swap, and have it done right, it's likely going to cost more than $3K. Although it's much cheeper than an SR, there are still lots of upgrades, fabrication, and modifications for dropping a KA in a little 510; More importantly, there is no universal/single way of doing it. There are hundreds of options and choices to be made that will impact cost, performance, reliability, and ultimately your satisfaction. It will be in your best interests to make some of these choices before starting your project, or even look for a shop. 

I strongly recommend joining some 510 forums so you can research all aspect of doing a KA swap. Before pulling the trigger, you can choose which KA motor you want, where to source it, how you want to upgrade the fuel system, cooling system, intake, exhaust, wiring, etc, etc. There are tons of KA build threads out there, where you can learn from other peoples successes and mistakes,so you'll know how the work should be done. The more you know going in the better equipped you'll be in finding the right mechanic, telling him what you want, and making sure he does the work right. Even if your mechanic is totally on the up and up, and has done lots of KA swaps before, doing your homework and making your own choices is the best way to insure you'll get what you want while keeping within your particular budget. When doing any custom work, this stuff is far too important to your project to simply trust it in someone else's hands.

My user name is RonM on a 510 forum called the510realm www.the510realm.com Sign up and look for me and I'd be happy to show you around.

Best of luck,

I have not heard anything back yet. BTW, anyone heard of this guy Ravi Shukla of Santa Rosa? We should put the word out.

• Like 2

Yes, good of you to offer to help. It's too bad he wants to pay to have it done. He is really missing out on the reward, and sense of accomplishment. Being a car guy (or girl) isn't just driving a cool car. It's more than just a hobby. It's a way of life.  And it is a huge commitment. Expensive and time/ thought consuming.

What do you think about when you cant sleep? Hell, I build cars IN my sleep. If you just want to drive a 510, go buy one.

I do feel bad for the guy, and fucking hate thieves and con artists. 3k lesson learned. At least he got his car back.

• Like 1

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "not this again".......

I'm one of the guys who usually pipes up when some newbie says "Ima drop an SR20 into my 510, that I just got yesterday". Or some ridiculous idea where they don't grasp the complexity. I'm the guy who usually says to leave it alone, so the world doesn't end up with another half finished project. Or at the very least, wait on it, research it, and THEN see if you really want to do it. I don't necessarily have a problem with people telling someone that something is a bad idea. I mean really, how many newbs are dead-set on their second day of 510 ownership that they need some stupid horsepower motor? It happens almost daily. Maybe I'm not grasping what you're getting at here, I dunno.

If someone isn't smart enough to research an intended project before they jump all-in, it's their fault when it doesn't work out. There's a multitude of forums for getting help with Datsun mods. Unless you're really old and don't know how to use a computer, they really should know how to come on places like Ratsun and ask for help.

I'm all for sharing my knowledge, and helping people out, but sometimes dumb ideas need to be shot down.

It really does suck that people get taken advantage of out there, but then again, before I do business anywhere I get recommendations, or at least check reviews online. I'd never take my car anywhere without first getting the inside scoop on the joint. But, THIS, is the main reason I do all my own work. I don't want, or trust, anyone to do the work for me.....and don't have the money to pay a lot of cash to get something done the way I'd like by a really reputable shop. I've always followed the idea of, "buy the tool, research, fix it yourself, and keep the tool".

A fool and his money are soon parted and more money than brains comes to mind. I can't imagine ever spending $6K on a swap without even the most rudimentary oversight. Probably helps to be gullible too. If you like your car and your money it's up to you to look after both, no one else will.

I have not heard anything back yet. BTW, anyone heard of this guy Ravi Shukla of Santa Rosa? We should put the word out.[/size]

So just on someone else's say so you are going to 'put the word out' on a complete stranger? You can post anything on c/l. Dude I admire your sentiment and your hearts in the right place but come on. What do you really know about the poster?//

• Like 2

Project. Do you have the money to finish what you start? time? Room or place to do it? Tools? Skills?

Get a big school book note pad. This will contain all ideas you come up with and info for or against. Write down anything and everything including doodles. Leave the other side of each page blank. Add in prices where possible and keep track.

1/ Write down what you want to accomplish in rough outline double or triple spaced so you can add changes. Often ask yourself if this makes sense as you go along learning. Better to know asap if you are getting in over your head.

2/ If an engine swap for example, find out the most commonly done swaps. Does this suit your needs in 1/ above?

3/ List the possible swaps and find out all you can about them. Google, Ratsun whatever... Find posts of successful swaps. Look for similar problems and how they were dealt with. They will likely raise other questions you hadn't thought about. Read! Research!

3/ So list them here in your note pad in a separate section. For example EFI or carburetor? Pros, cons? Which is easier for you? Can you run a carb on a CAS motor? Break everything down into smaller and smaller sections.

Cross reference all answered questions. Do they all agree? Or is it a guess an opinion?

Know everything about what you are doing, every detail, no assuming. Become an expert on it, live and breathe it. Now you can, with confidence, ask sensible, esoteric questions on a forum. Those that don't know will listen so they can learn from your question. Those that may know are usually glad to pass on hard learned information to someone who has worked equally hard to get to this point.

• Like 1

I can relate to the guy in the CL ad. I'm in over my head on my KA project car, as well. You can't really do anything about money that's already been spent. But I agree with paradime, that if you do your research and/or join a forum that can provide a helping hand, you can at least stop throwing good money after bad money.

Is this not a topic that has been brought up in a different matter before in another form or fashion.I agree with the King Rat,I know how to fix stuff and i have spent a lot of money as most people know on this site,but again can you do all of it and I think what gets most people is when it comes to fab work or wiring the worst part for most people and A: they cant afford to pay some one or B:they cant afford to pay some one and they dont know how to do it and then it becomes a basket case or sold for pennies on the dollar,and i think thats a good thing for the buyer.

• Like 1

Today's cars are almost impossible to work on except to replace things as units. Used to be that everything could be taken apart and was fixable. For the most part the only electronic solid state parts were a self regulating alternator and a radio. If you were born about the time Datsun changed to Nissan, by the time you were old enough to drive, most of your first (old) cars were EFI and full of mystery sensors.

I'm afraid that owning a Datsun almost requires that you know how to work on it. What mechanic today is taught how to change points let alone how to file them?  If you can't, can't learn, don't want to be bothered but have money, then buy one already done the way you want it... preferably one with mystery EFI and assorted electronic sensors.

I think it boils down to what kind of person you are. If you are afraid of a challenge, and getting in over your head, or turn and run when it gets tough, cars are not for you.

If you like it when you FINALLY get that rusty bolt out, and just get more determined when shit gets too deep, than you will be OK. 

I get in over my head all the time. That's how I learn to deal with the problem next time around.

Doing spindle pins and ass end bushings on the V8 Z right now. Just keep heating it up and hitting it with a BFH until I win. Stereo cranked, tasty beverage on bench. My sanctuary.

• Like 1

EFI by itself is not really that complicated, and most of the components are pretty straightforward to test.  Now that we're getting more into CAN busses, things are getting a lot more complicated.  Combine that with regenerative braking, etc...yeah, I don't want to deal with that either.

All I can say is you better to plan on spending 6k min.(sr20det) if a reputable shop does it , I say do home work and pay shop in payments for progress ,a motor 2200+- and then 3k labor and some parts depending on your taste ,I prefer domestic cars but do swaps here ,I really do not like being a tech but like swaps ,wiring and fab. , , again I prefer US 50s cars for income . As always see what they have done ! and a shop not garage , I am showing all of my swap I am doing and I want input / feedback slow flow , some customers do not want stuff on internet.<br />I also may have a new guy to do body work and mechanic here so I can do more swaps.

Had to drill this bolt to get the housing off.

710motor004Large.jpg

Another time had to sacrifice the housing to cut the bolt so the housing would slide off. The broken end is still there on the right.

710motor002Large.jpg

Gasket? No problem for a Datsun owner. You do what you have to.

710motor005Large.jpg

When I was in tech school in Bham (broke, and broke down at home) I needed a water pump gasket for my 1200. I ordered a small pizza and made the gasket with the pizza box.

You do what you have to. 

Like most everything I've done in life.... I go into a lot of things half-assed...  fuck something up,  learn my lessons,  and usually do it right the second or third time, lol !   Kind of like that thread about the guy that did the horrendous 4-link on that poor 510... I've been guilty of atrocities too,  but the key difference is I know I screwed up and wasn't dumb or proud enough to post it to the world, and knew within myself that what I did was garbage and to redo it.

Point is I set out to get something done and don't give up, even if it takes me awhile.  But I have learned invaluable and unforgettable lessons that way.

Other things I know I don't have the luxury of f'ing up the first time... like body work and paint on my truck.  I got my 620 restored 90% of the way with many custom touches including my KA swap, had the bed blasted, POR-15'd all the underside and frame, removed all the glass and trim and sent it to the body shop ready for them to go to work and "top off the cake", so to speak, but not the full cost of all the other conversion and restoration work.

Is that part hurting?  Oh yeah, but I know otherwise I'd end up with a paint job that looked like it was done in my backyard and even if I did a decent job, the comments would still always be "yeah that looks pretty good.... for a DIY paint job".  I also researched the shop, got to know the owners, saw their work and spent months talking back and forth before I committed to letting them do the work.  You don't just talk to someone one day and then give them a ton of cash the next, and ALWAYS get it in writing.

It took me awhile, but I'd scribble little inspirational notes on the truck in sharpie and soapstone that said things like "Get this Shit Done" and "Work on this part on Friday".  Plus (to address the original post )  I have researched here on Ratsun and many other sites incessantly  for advice and precedents of how other people got through particular issues to the point of being physically fatigued just Google-ing, looking and reading about other projects.

And lastly, I think one of the most important things is to keep the garage neat and having space to work.   If things piled up or the project vehicles start becoming shelves... you are literally burying (and thus forgetting) them.  

• Like 2

I have a project I started way back.

IMG_20130324_121354.jpg

It has been in this state since the late 90's, only because I have to work 100 miles away as well as other things getting in the way over the years (health and doing side work for guitar playing friends). But I am focusing on getting back on it. Having to many projects does not help as well. With the way technology is taking over the work I do, I figure I will soon be back at the house making a go at what ever I want to do. Then I can enjoy getting that car completed and on the road lowered down and all. I myself do all of my work myself or have someone I know do what I cannot do the way I want it done. All the Datsun sites are great for info these days. So enough of my babbling.