datsun 620 hayabusa swap

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got excited about the idea of running the motorcycle Trans into a flywheel and car Trans idea,

If you could work it out and still shift the motorcycle tranny you could essentially have an adjustable diff ratio.

I don't mean all 6 into 4-5 from the external Trans, I mean leave it in 4th ( I think that's the 1to1 on the Busa) and use 5th as an overdrive and maybe 3rd for the strip and those 10k rpm runs

This  Z car owning punk ass, 80's dickweed, douche, who would not want to discourage you in any way, has a couple things to consider. While I don't think the HP/ torque will be a problem, in terms of moving it along, I wonder if the gearset will hold up to the added load. Lets face it, your going to be flogging it. Will it take the pressure? Or will it launch gears out the side of the case? Not sure. You might want to find out which gear is the strongest and leave it there. Then hammer on a trans from a car. 

The other thing I would be curious about is the cooling. Clearly the truck wont accelerate like the bike did. It will be slower through the gears than it used to be, with the fires lit. what will this do to combustion chamber temps?

Theres a guy at the dragstrip that runs one of those bikes. He's a big dude, 350 to 400 lb's. Seems to do OK.

Tube chassis, stripped to the bone, no box, Engine mounted right behind the cab. I can almost get there. Do it.

And now that I think about it. I think I still have my members only jacket. I don't think it will fit but I still have it. LOL

If the Z car doesn't get you into the 80's dickweed club, the jacket will for sure. Come on in.

You just wont enjoy driving the car anymore man. And its probably not gonna last long if you do get it done.

Its setup for 170ftlb at 3k yes. that might be true. (even though that is the best busa motor I have ever heard of in my life if it is true.)

I have run Busa engines rangingin size and HP from the stock 170 1300cc, all the way to 1400cc 500hp monsters.

The reality is that the busa engine probably can not handle the weight of the truck.

Not power wise, youhave to understand most of the casings on a busa engine are not very thick. The trans casing for example is only about 1/8-3/16 thick of aluminium (measured). The energy being put through the casings will cause them to probably crack under power because the truck is so much heavier.

I have seen this happen on 350hp busa engines while still in a Hyabusa!! The force you are talking about putting through that engine (because of the truck weight) is closer to a 700-800hp busa engine in a hyabusa drag bike.

The engine casing not might, but absolutely will eventually blow apart if you do not strengthen it. as I said I have seen this on a Hyabusa with 350hp, more than once.

Now if you are really serious about doing this, what needs to be done is the engine needs to be separated from the tranny casing and made mountable to a regular clutch and tranny. I would probably do that in a gearbox with something like a 1:1.5 ratio so that you have more torque coming out the tailshaft.

Or better yet, V8 Busa engine.

It has the busa clutch mod and an r and d race tranny im most likely going to use a custom pinion connector straight to where the chain drive goes and just use the busa tranny as a sequential im going to shave off as much weight as possible lightweight wheels tubular chassis components etc i dont recall many trucks especially 4 cylinder trucks having boxed in frames and if they are its probably thin sheet metal not some crazy thick gaue stuff correct me if im wrong i havent even picked the truck up yet lol and everyone is bent over this haha

A 620 weighs around 2300 pounds.  The bed can easily be carried by two people, the cab by four.  I'd say you have about 400 pounds of sheet metal weight between bed and cab.  That leaves about 1900 for frame/running gear.  Motor and trans weigh about 300 pounds, driveline maybe 20, rear end probably 200-300 pounds.  Datsun trucks have always had heavy duty frames.  That's why they're a legit half-ton pickup.  And why you can still put a ton in them and not break stuff.

Is this project done yet? :rofl:

The carnage which will happen if he decides to actually do this. Carnage A: of the engine not handling the extreme weight, B: of watching and trying to understand the point behind a tube framed 520 with a busa motor. (carnage being the entire project at that point)

As I said could you do it?

That question is asked and answered and asked enough that you should all know the answer. Of course you can, with a bunch of money and a bunch of time.

But that doesnt mean you should waste either resource on something that actually doesnt have a reason to be built. other than "woot!! look!! busa in a truck!!"

Given the same money, why would you do this build? what is the advantage? do you just want to be different?

Any other 4 cylinder in that truck would be faster, cheaper, better looking, easier tuning, and more reliable, and more fun to drive. And not to mention that this is pretty much an unoriginal idea, being that everyone into bikes has been under the "throw busa motors in everything" sun for quite a while, a quick hop over to Youtube will show you that.

This whole thread reminds me of this recent gem.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/58272-datsun-210-rb20det/

• Like 1

Apparently not one person read my posts to begin with they all just think they know everything and didnt realize i haent even started this builld yet clowns so yea to the people asking how this build is coming (sarcastically), learn how to read..instead of being a tool the busa trans will handle it there will be the same amount of stress on the trans regardless if i use a normal 5spd in conjunction with the busa trans the datsun 1200 build is using the busa trans if you crack your tranny something is misaligned or unbalanced they dont just break out of the blue vibrations and other factors cause trans failure but like i said its not a stock trans its an r&d race trans back cut gears billet clutch mod etc it will be fine after all this bs im about to just go 2jz with itb if i can stuff an inline 6 in there im trying to create something thats turn key and doesnt drive or smell like shit

L series engines are the worst designed engines ever in my opinion the amount of work it takes to make reliable driveable power isnt worth it thwy are strong but have shitty heads and bad heatsoak and im sick of mine even tho its been good to me

Now you're just plain wrong. Same as about 90% of Datsun owners. Inline six in a 620? Makes a motorcycle engine look sensible.

• Like 1