datsun 620 hayabusa swap

L series engines are the worst designed engines ever in my opinion the amount of work it takes to make reliable driveable power isnt worth it thwy are strong but have shitty heads and bad heatsoak and im sick of mine even tho its been good to me

The amount of clueless-ness demonstrated by this post is astounding.Your head is so far up your ass you need to have a glass belly button installed just to see where you're walking.But if you sneeze,you'll risk launching that "eye" a few hundred yards.

Do everyone a favor-Sell your Datsuns and go buy a VW Beetle.

• Like 2
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently not one person read my posts to begin with they all just think they know everything and didnt realize i haent even started this builld yet clowns so yea to the people asking how this build is coming (sarcastically), learn how to read..instead of being a tool the busa trans will handle it there will be the same amount of stress on the trans regardless if i use a normal 5spd in conjunction with the busa trans the datsun 1200 build is using the busa trans if you crack your tranny something is misaligned or unbalanced they dont just break out of the blue vibrations and other factors cause trans failure but like i said its not a stock trans its an r&d race trans back cut gears billet clutch mod etc it will be fine after all this bs im about to just go 2jz with itb if i can stuff an inline 6 in there im trying to create something thats turn key and doesnt drive or smell like shit

I used to build Hyabusa motors, And I have a few friends who work for Fast by Gast who build Hyabusa motors all day. I know damn well what I am talking about when I talk about that tranny. So you are going to run the transmission, through another transmission? Sounds really awesome. Also its not possible for something in a Hyabusa tranny to be "misaligned" or "unbalanced" because if it is, the transmission will not go back together or fit inside the case. I have build 3 myself, please dont tgry to "educate" me any farther of your knowledge on Hyabusa engines.

So a Hyabusa motor isnt Fanboy enough for you? OK so lets go 2JZ, one of the shittiest inline 6 engines on the planet from a company who could never get the I-6 right. (except that one time in the 2000gt) That is a fact, I also have built 2JZ, and I can tell you, they are straight up fanboy status, they are way over talked, and unless your building a drag car and spending more money than the engine was ever worth, they are useless. And all Toyota I-6 engines have headgasket issues, and also soft head issues. The 2jz is swapped in by every dumb ass fan boy because "Jesse said so", and ya know, "This will decimate all, after about 15k in parts, overnight from japan, if we have to", Keep watching Fast and Furious, theres many other gems with awesome knowledge of tuning in there, Are you putting a Motec System exhaust on it too? Awesome

L series engines are the worst designed engines ever in my opinion the amount of work it takes to make reliable driveable power isnt worth it thwy are strong but have shitty heads and bad heatsoak and im sick of mine even tho its been good to me

You actually said that? and you want to put an engine in from a company that could never figure the inline 6 out?(Toyota)  your kidding right? The L series is very likely one of  the single most reliable inline 6 engine ever made, with the Jeep I-6, and the old chevy I-6.  And people have made hundreds of horsepower with somewhat minimal work with an L series. I have one myself, they are one of the most reliable engine Nissan ever built. If you have bad heatsoak, try a bigger radiator, and an electric fan on a temperature switch, problem solved.

I am frankly in awe of the ignorance behind you saying that the L series was the worst designed engines ever honestly. That only means that you have virtually no experience with engines. I can think of only 20+ engines without even trying that are terrible pieces of trash in comparison to the L series.

Even Toyota nuts revere the L series for its reliability and performance, True story. Shit, most of them would tell you the 7M was the worst engine ever designed.......(and Ill give you a huge guess what the JZ is based off of, lol)

I don't know what Nissan was thinking back in the mid '60s (that's almost 50 years ago) when they designed the L series motor, I really don't. They could have run main bearings smaller than those on the KA. They could have run 3 mains like the J series but instead they ran SIX monster main bearings that could support the weight of the planet. The rod bearings are equally large and will fit the KA motors. Very stout block casting. Double timing chain, where the much much later KA uses a single. There are at least 8 L 4 heads and 3-4 L six heads to choose from. They all breathe well for only dual valves. This motor was built TOUGH weather by accident or design. If filled and kept filled with water and oil they are impossible to blow up, impossible.

• Like 2

im going ev on my build ........ gonna turbo my 3 phase motor...and build a drifter smart car simultaneously

You should put a motor at every wheel, have 4 throttles two feet and two hand, run handle bars instead of a steering wheel, and use a busa engine as a generator.

How's that for ridiculous

• Like 1

You should put a motor at every wheel, have 4 throttles two feet and two hand, run handle bars instead of a steering wheel, and use a busa engine as a generator.

Better yet, lets take it back 100 years, and modify the busa motor to become a hit and miss gas motor, we can run it on propane, get 15 hp, AND old school is the new cool right?

Actually,that's how Locomotives work-with the exception of the multiple throttle arrangement.

Nissan stole design from Mercedes ! there I said it.

Nissan didn't steal the design from Mercedes at all. The Prince Motor car company looked into the Mercedes design in the early 60s and started development of their own OHC motor, the  L20 six cylinder debued in '65. Nissan merged with Prince August '66 and expanded on these designs. Eventually making the (Prince/Nissan hybrid) L series 4 cylinder engines.

I don't actually believe anyone, with any mechanical knowledge, could possibly think, the L series is a shitty motor. I don't doubt LayZboy's ability or knowledge. I just think after 7 pages of abuse and insults, he wanted to return fire. And it worked.

I have never seen a broken L in person. I have been trying to kill them since the early 80's. And I mean really trying. 

• Like 1

captain... you call me a fanboy yet youve built a 2jz??? anywaysss

i dont know how you can compare a modern crossflow head to a junk sohc 6 cylinder the l series is only good for one thing going very slow for 40 years 

its not hard for a motor that makes 150 net hp to last how much stress does that over "engineered" motor see? a fully built l28 cant compete with a stock 2jz na let alone a turbo one and if u think it could then id love to hear it. you guys are just bent because its a toyota engine... best bang for the buck is a 2jz im not going to blow tons of money on an rb i cannot get parts for at a local parts store (2jz N/A im talking about so i dont get a flamer saying i cant get parst for a 2jzgte) if i can manage to fit a 2jz in the 620 id put it in if i have to cut and chop shit its not happening id rather go 4 cylinder i have a l28 and have had multiple l28s and none of them were that impressive yes 239whp 259TQ is impressive to me for a stock l28et with a bigger turbo compared to stock but nowhere near the 300+ everyone makes dont know why my setup is super efficient but cant create the numbers everyone else supposedly makes on pump gas...and HEATSOAK IS REFERRING TO IAT NOT COOLANT TEMP (so tell me how you know anything?) im not a douche but when i get attacked on every comment wtf do u expect fucking pricks..go jerkoff to some pics of other peoples finished builds FANBOY

If you know everything already, how come you havent started this yet? I fail to see the point of this whole thread. You came to the forum asking for information and opinions and then you throw them all out the window. 

Either start the build and prove everyone wrong or stop posting in here. 

• Like 2

captain... you call me a fanboy yet youve built a 2jz??? anywaysss

i dont know how you can compare a modern crossflow head to a junk sohc 6 cylinder the l series is only good for one thing going very slow for 40 years 

its not hard for a motor that makes 150 net hp to last how much stress does that over "engineered" motor see? a fully built l28 cant compete with a stock 2jz na let alone a turbo one and if u think it could then id love to hear it. you guys are just bent because its a toyota engine... best bang for the buck is a 2jz im not going to blow tons of money on an rb i cannot get parts for at a local parts store (2jz N/A im talking about so i dont get a flamer saying i cant get parst for a 2jzgte) if i can manage to fit a 2jz in the 620 id put it in if i have to cut and chop shit its not happening id rather go 4 cylinder i have a l28 and have had multiple l28s and none of them were that impressive yes 239whp 259TQ is impressive to me for a stock l28et with a bigger turbo compared to stock but nowhere near the 300+ everyone makes dont know why my setup is super efficient but cant create the numbers everyone else supposedly makes on pump gas...and HEATSOAK IS REFERRING TO IAT NOT COOLANT TEMP (so tell me how you know anything?) im not a douche but when i get attacked on every comment wtf do u expect fucking pricks..go jerkoff to some pics of other peoples finished builds FANBOY

WOW there is so much win there.

I have built them because I build what the fanboys pay for :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Also nobody actually "compared" them. or said "the L series is better than this engine, the JZ is better than that engine, or blah blah blah" I did point out that the JZ has severely overlooked downfalls, and is way overtalked.

And actually Toyota has put out some of the most indestructible engines on the planet out there, but the JZ series is not one of them, sorry. Definitely no Toyota hate coming from me.

And also you revere the JZ series and talk about how much power they push, but then you say your not even using the 2JZGTE??? You do realize that the NA is a totally different engine right? I mean the block is the same.......

Generally an L series will hold a lot of horseponies reliably. That is well proven. Minimal work will get you to 350+ on a correctly built L28et. And the Torque is pretty much just as good as JZ. If you can not get the numbers that as you said EVERYONE ELSE IS GETTING, Well, you need to tune better and build better, not being a dick, thats just a fact. The engine is well easily capable.

What turbo you running? what ECU? what intercooler? what type of injection/ignition system? How big are your injectors? How good is your tune really?ect, ect, ect.

A turbo L28 correctly tuned will rape a well tuned NA 2jz, hard. Been there, done that, seen it happen, it was boring. (no I really have seen this a crap load of times, not even joking)

Also, if you are refering to IAT heatsoak, please specify, when I say heat soak, I am talking about engine temp. Your IAT problems are just that, YOUR IAT PROBLEMS, they can be solved with a little brainpower and elbow grease.

I am not attacking you, simply pointing out your oversight on the matter. Take it how you will.

And I dont jave time for jerkin it, Im too busy building dreams.