datsun 620 hayabusa swap

A lot of folks do swaps for reliability reasons.  I had a 410 wheel ft-lb, 410 wheel horsepower L28ET in my Z before I swapped in the LS1.  I kept blowing head gaskets due to the detonation sensitive California gas.  The LS1 is N/A and makes 90% of the power of the L28ET.  It is damn reliable and parts are cheap.

Is it played out?  In a Z?  I dont' think so.  You seem to think that the world is the internet but in reality, an LS swap in a Z is not common.  At MSA last year there was not a single LS equipped vehicle; the year prior there were only 3 (I was one of them).  Sure, people hear of them or see pictures on the 'net, but to actually run across them in the wild is not that common.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of folks do swaps for reliability reasons. I had a 410 wheel ft-lb, 410 wheel horsepower L28ET in my Z before I swapped in the LS1. I kept blowing head gaskets due to the detonation sensitive California gas. The LS1 is N/A and makes 90% of the power of the L28ET. It is damn reliable and parts are cheap.

Is it played out? In a Z? I dont' think so. You seem to think that the world is the internet but in reality, an LS swap in a Z is not common. At MSA last year there was not a single LS equipped vehicle; the year prior there were only 3 (I was one of them). Sure, people hear of them or see pictures on the 'net, but to actually run across them in the wild is not that common.

I was talking about drift cars and I understand trying to get more power for cheap...

but swapping a 350 into a 32 ford coupe? No 302 or 351 just straight to 350?

Thanks guys idk what im going to do i need to weigh out all my options and does anyone have any idea why i can make more than 239whp 259 tq on 15psi mustang dyno tho 6500 redline

Are you talking about the L28et? Because if you are those numbers sound off. stock boost is 6 psi at like 170-180 hp

Just build it man. Most guys that are gonna be haters about it either are jealous, never built anything in their life, but think they can cause they watched a video, Or just dont wanna see another truck getting scrapped, It's your time and money, 

I agree. I think the delivery was off. If the thread was an in progress thread with some pics, it would have been full of compliments. Don't ask people what they think of your idea. Show them your work.  

Thanks guys idk what im going to do i need to weigh out all my options and does anyone have any idea why i can make more than 239whp 259 tq on 15psi mustang dyno tho 6500 redline

Because your fuel trims and timing suck. I read your thread if I am not mistaken, and I remember your timing being ridiculous but as you said "safe" Well its too "safe", so safe its got you making 239/259. Problem solved.

Also did I hear something about the dynamometer your using being called something like "the dream crusher" Ususally that means its not accurate. Or its not accurate in the right way. When every dyno around it is showing more horses, you might wanna reconsider if the tech actually knows his shit.

Because it's inaccurate or not calibrated.

+1

Are you talking about the L28et? Because if you are those numbers sound off. stock boost is 6 psi at like 170-180 hp

Totally off. He is losing massive power in his bad tune. But I didnt say this in his other thread cause I was trying to not be a dick, (as you can see where that got us) and he seemed pretty set in keeping the timing the same, "Safe".... Maybe had I said something then and he retuned and got 350 he wouldn't be trying to 2jz and hayabusa swap shit.

Timing and or way too low compression.

Timing.

I discovered one of the single most annoying things about the 2JZ engine tonight.

People put them in SC400s.

I knew this already, but I didnt really think about it in this manner.

The 2JZ is the literall reason that Nissan spanked Toyota HARD, for 10 years in JGTC racing. Toyota never raced the 2JZ in pro JGTC in a non practice session. Because it was a massive, unreliable, heavy, pig. AND it made the Supras weight distribution terrible.

So what Toyota did to beat Nissan was put a 3SG, inline 4 engine in the supra, and yes they raced it in GT500 class, NOT GT300 class. And they won the championship.

After a few years of this, they needed more power, and the only way to retain the cars balance was to use the 1UZ V8 engine. The engine that comes in the SC400. An engine that is probably the best engine Toyota ever made.

So essentially, people remove a race winning engine, to put in an engine that prevented Toyota from winning races. Not only that, but an engine that makes not just one, but every single car it is put into handle worse, including the ones that came from the factory with it. That is, unless going in one direction is your bag.

Try road racing a Toyota Supra Mk4 with a 2jzgte and 600hp, you WILL, not might, WILL, get absolutely destroyed by every single Honda Civic and Mazda Miata on the track with a third of your horsepower. And it doesnt help that all Supras after the MK2 were very much spaghetti noodle chassis. The MK3 was better, but the MK4 flexes, A LOT. Which is why HKS makes like 50+ different frame braces for the damn thing.

The other annoying thing is the 7M hate in the Toyota world. Its the samf damn motor as a 2JZ, block wise theres very few differences. The head is of the same design but is not as soft and they have a higher head torque, otherwise they are no better.

Toyota people call the 7M a boat anchor for the reason of bad head gaskets. Yeah, their such shitty engines that HKS ONLY managed to get 415hp out of a naturally aspirated one.

Sorry for the Toyota/Supra rant. I just got back from a car show with a load of Supra owners, like 12 MK 2/3/4s.

theres a lot of very sweeping generalisations in that post mate, no wonder you're cynical and bitter :P theres a hell of a lot more to it than how you've put things, some of that stuff is outright wrong. not hating just sayin

people dont care about technical stuff, they care about how easy stuff is. pulling a UZ for a JZ is a viable and sensible option for a z chassis (which also come with JZ's), and heres why: JZ's are easy, UZ's are not. 5 speeds, turbo kits, engine management, tuners, expertise, valvetrain goodies, clutches, manifolds - all easy and relatively cheap with JZ. UZ? custom custom custom custom. hard and expensive. thats all there is to it for your average punter

7M's have similarities to 2JZ's, quite a lot but theyre still not a 2JZ. 7M's need a good rebuild straight up, thats enough to not bother with them for most people

The 1UZ everything used to be custom, now you can get adapter plates for v160 r154 and even 350z, transmissions. Its not as custom as it once was. $300 for a adapter plate, thats a fact. Plus if you know someone with CNC/waterjet capabilities, you can download the CAD files for $25 for any adapter plate you want.

The UZ is a lighter engine.

The UZ is a better designed engine

The UZ has better weight distribution being that it is a bank of 4 not 6.

Also, Put a 5 speed/6 speed in an sc400. okay, now take the sc300 with 5speed and think about how much work you now have to do to it to make it catch up to the sc400. Its a joke man, a bad joke. You would have to spend even more than just the 5speed swap in the sc400 to make the sc300 as fast, and it will never handle as well. Dont get me wrong, Soarers are sick regardless of engine choice.

Most JZ engines need a rebuild at this point as well, but nobody wants to talk about that. And In complete honesty, the 7M needs a little more than just a "rebuild" to keep up with a 2JZ for reliability. It needs a drift motion oil pump, or equivalent to be honest. After that and the right head gasket torque, they are pretty damn reliable.

Its an easy swap, yup, and easy is what we should all strive for in tuning, at all times, never under any circumstances shouyld you veer outside the box and try something hard or go the road less traveled, especially not if it results in a better setup without the god engine.

"people dont care about technical stuff, just how easy things are"  So why do they even build cars, at all?

If tuning were to be easy......, well Honestly its just a real shame that so many people are impressed by such an easy swap. All because of the Fast and the Furious.

So what did I say that simply isnt true? Unlike some people, I actually like to be corrected when I am wrong.

Quoted above-

"Also, Put a 5 speed/6 speed in an sc400. okay, now take the sc300 with 5speed and think about how much work you now have to do to it to make it catch up to the sc400. Its a joke man, a bad joke. You would have to spend even more than just the 5speed swap in the sc400 to make the sc300 as fast, and it will never handle as well. Dont get me wrong, Soarers are sick regardless of engine choice."

In Japan the SC400 and SC250 [right, it was downsized for a reason] were the Toyota Soarer.  The SC250 inline 6 had twin turbos and churned out higher  horsepower and torque than the SC400 V8.  It also had sexier wheels.

gotta split this up, sorry its huge :(

The 1UZ everything used to be custom, now you can get adapter plates for v160 r154 and even 350z, transmissions. Its not as custom as it once was. $300 for a adapter plate, thats a fact. Plus if you know someone with CNC/waterjet capabilities, you can download the CAD files for $25 for any adapter plate you want.

thats my point, its not as easy with JZ is it? stock R154 youve got a choice of stock bellhousings to suit 1JZ VVTi, 1JZ, 7M and 2JZ. the V160 fits all JZ's. stock. stock clutches, stock actuation, stock flywheel. no fishing around for adapter plates and custom flywheel and clutches. see what i mean? easy.

The UZ is a lighter engine.

theyre within a shout of each other, UZ's being superlight is a myth. theyre still full of steel, with quad cam and two big heads. dont let the alloy block fool you there. iron block JZ's arent light i know

The UZ is a better designed engine

irrelevant, all people care about is how much mad powas they can make and how easy it is. i love UZ's, ive got one, and a couple JZ's but understand that technical specs arent relevant to most people

The UZ has better weight distribution being that it is a bank of 4 not 6

the SC/Z chassis was made for both, for that car in particular the difference wouldnt mean much IRL. by principle maybe. for conversions yeah the UZ might be better to work with. theyre wide though, sometimes hard to fit into things. not usually a problem for toyotas tho

Also, Put a 5 speed/6 speed in an sc400. okay, now take the sc300 with 5speed and think about how much work you now have to do to it to make it catch up to the sc400. Its a joke man, a bad joke. You would have to spend even more than just the 5speed swap in the sc400 to make the sc300 as fast, and it will never handle as well. Dont get me wrong, Soarers are sick regardless of engine choice.

im a bit lost with that one, manual a UZ and its quicker than an auto 1JZ? a good mate had his doing low 13's for a couple grand auto... to get a UZ doing that will cost a lot more. thats sorta my whole argument there

Most JZ engines need a rebuild at this point as well, but nobody wants to talk about that. And In complete honesty, the 7M needs a little more than just a "rebuild" to keep up with a 2JZ for reliability. It needs a drift motion oil pump, or equivalent to be honest. After that and the right head gasket torque, they are pretty damn reliable.

they still dont need rebuilds here, later aristos and later chasers all provide good swaps. 7M's still need more work, my original point. theyre harder, people dont like that. see what i mean?

Its an easy swap, yup, and easy is what we should all strive for in tuning, at all times, never under any circumstances shouyld you veer outside the box and try something hard or go the road less traveled, especially not if it results in a better setup without the god engine.

thats how it is bro. how its been for a looonng time. no use being mad about it. im not saying its how it should be, but its how it is. trying to impress people defeats the purpose imo but hey to each their own

"people dont care about technical stuff, just how easy things are" So why do they even build cars, at all?

for fast mate, why else? factory engine swaps arent really "building" a car, maybe thats just me being a bit elitist though

If tuning were to be easy......, well Honestly its just a real shame that so many people are impressed by such an easy swap. All because of the Fast and the Furious.

cynicism there, maybe it is different in the US, but people are no more impressed with SIKJZ than they are with someone having the new iphone the day its released. its a fickle thing, try not to read so much into it. its like both sides of the argument dont realise how not serious each other is about it. chasing that status is a good way to end your enthusiasm

So what did I say that simply isnt true? Unlike some people, I actually like to be corrected when I am wrong.

just a bunch of stuff you're taking too seriously is all.

JZ's being adored - sure among some cliques, for the most part its just another cool engine

7M's being hated - people that own them have good reason to hate, but you'll find a lot of people will be impressed at big power from a 7M. no real hate for people who persist with them. people who go ON AND ON about them on the other hand...

JGTC - simplifying it like you did skips the important details, that description you had is a bit cynical and barely scratches the surface of the inner workings of decision making in racing. theres a whole other world of whys and hows than just the extremely simple numbers and weights game

But look how damn close the numbers are on the turbo 1JZ, and the naturally aspirated 1UZ. They are within 20 hp and 8 ft lb of torque.

i think you're reading too much into simple numbers. JZ power is different to UZ power, area under the curve is better to reference than peak numbers - but even that is still irrelevant. JZ is cheap to get to higher power than UZ. thats what its about. again, few people care about technicalities. its what they can use and how much it costs. the end. getting caught up in theory is a good way to never really get stuff done