datsun 620 hayabusa swap

whats up i hvae a 240whp hayabusa drag bike and i was wondering what a 620 weighs stock and what your thoughts were on doing this swap if the numbers weigh out correctly this swap will be done im going to be removing gas tank lightening up a lot of suspension components removing the heavy motor and trany to replace with my 150lb motor and tranny my ultimate goal is to have a sleeper datsun cleaan pickup that gets good gas mileage and i can still daily motor made 240whp and 170tq so its more than enough to push this

• Like 1
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much hp is the busa stock? Like 150-170 something like that. To bump it up to 240 I am sure you had to do some decent work to it, and if it was built as a drag bike its street manners I would assume have changed. It will take a lot more clutch slippage to get a couple thousand pounds moving rather than a couple hundred. I think it would he a blast but not sure about longevity or streetability. It would be fun to spin 14000 rpms in a 620 though!

Forget it. Your truck weighs 5 times (at least) what your bike does. Displacement is what makes low speed torque. To an extent you can multiply that with a differential but the 620 is only 4.375. You would want something double that just to get it moving. All the HP in the world is meaningless if it's at 15K.

This was brought up long ago at NWDE.

This will be a race horse pulling a wagon. If you have to do this get a 210 or a 1200 something below a ton. Remove the engine and transmission weight and get the largest ratio rear end you can find.... even then....

What is the gear ratio in first and the rear sprocket? In other words how many motor turns to turn the rear wheel once? For now imagine you bike with 4 more bikes stacked on it and trying to take off from a standing start. Now try to imagine starting in 3rd or 4th gear.

• Like 1

What grief? what abuse? No one said idiotic or stupid idea.

What does that samurai weigh and bet it has a 5.98 diff in it not to mention a 2 to one trans case. Apples and oranges. A 620 will weigh a lot more than that. You'll have to slip the clutch for half a block to get going. 

Or, do like NASCAR does and spin the tires for 50 feet to get going.  NASCAR engines produce around 900HP... and stall pulling out of the pits unless you have them revved over 5K.  All the power is at the top.  Getting moving from a dead stop without burning clutches and/or tires is a measure of how much torque you have at  1000-1500 RPM.

It's a truck so everything will be heavy duty including the 10" brakes. Had a 3,500 pound Plymouth Fury with a 383 that had 10" brakes. This would be difficult in a car. Cutting the frame is ill advised and one way. When this doesn't work the truck will be scrap. Start with a 1200 or B-210 something under 2,000 to begin with.

Gas mileage is directly proportional to weight. Takes a finite amount of gas energy to move a vehicle through wind resistance and lift up hills. A smaller engine will have to work harder but use the same amount of gas as a larger one to do the same work.