Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

Bingo. I'm convinced it's ant loin lairs. I thought they were only in far away places like the Nambian desert. Turns out there are 8 varieties here in BC. I've been here nearly 30 years and never dreamed such a thing existed. Taking a hand trowel with me today and will dig one of the suckers up. These are something new from a week ago, I would have seen these cones. Maybe drop an ant in and watch the action.

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, bananahamuck said:

It's Canada though.  most of Their scary animal are all gigantic versions of shit.. Grizzlies,  Moose,  Mountain lions,, and killer whales.

Never seen an Orca but they regularly pass through the Georgia Straight. I don't know if we have Moose on the island but we do have herds of Roosevelt Elk and I've run into them.  Grizzlies have found their way onto the north of Vancouver Island in the last few years. They would have had to swim over from the mainland. The things you do for a little strange...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've got them on some property in Washington and wondered what the cones were created by. Just did a little more research on them and found out their good bugs.

>>> VVVVVV

Are Antlions harmful to humans?
Antlions are absolutely harmless and cause no damage to flowers, people or structures. They are highly beneficial and feed on ants and other insects that fall into their traps. It is best to leave them alone.

Just move over to Idaho a few years ago and got a shit load of ants at our new place. I'll be trans porting some antlions to the new place and see if they can put a hurt in the ant population. Thanks for posting the pic up, I'd had never known how to control the ants.  

Antlions.jpg

Edited by 420n620
insert pic of antlion
  • Like 5

We've had these things on one corner of our house for years!  Usually a dozen or so in a 2-3 foot long spot next to our foundation.

Never bothered looking up what they were 'till Mike asked the question last night.

Now I kind of want to dig one up and see what the little guys look like.

IMG_4766.JPG

IMG_4767.JPG

• Like 3
3 hours ago, 420n620 said:

I've got them on some property in Washington and wondered what the cones were created by. Just did a little more research on them and found out their good bugs.

>>> VVVVVV

Are Antlions harmful to humans?
Antlions are absolutely harmless and cause no damage to flowers, people or structures. They are highly beneficial and feed on ants and other insects that fall into their traps. It is best to leave them alone.

Just move over to Idaho a few years ago and got a shit load of ants at our new place. I'll be trans porting some antlions to the new place and see if they can put a hurt in the ant population. Thanks for posting the pic up, I'd had never known how to control the ants.  

Antlions.jpg

Forgot my back pack so no digging. They are way larger than I thought unless ours are a smaller variety. Counted 18 'nests'. Have no intention of harming one just get a look. It's sandy so maybe I'll see him nesting.

We have lots of earwigs...

• Like 4

Standard Timed Distance  as it was called here in AUS (not sure elsewhere) was across the country outside of a local area where the phone  (private landline or a payphone)

Area codes

Australia uses eight digit local phone numbers preceded by a two digit STD area code.

Area codes
Area code Region State or territory Capital city
02 Central East New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory Sydney, Canberra
03 South East Victoria, Tasmania Melbourne, Hobart
04 Mobile telephones Australia-wide  
07 North East Queensland Brisbane
08 Central and West Western Australia, South Australia, Northern Territory Perth, Adelaide, Darwin
  • Like 2
On 6/22/2021 at 10:23 AM, carterb said:

We've had these things on one corner of our house for years!  Usually a dozen or so in a 2-3 foot long spot next to our foundation.

Never bothered looking up what they were 'till Mike asked the question last night.

Now I kind of want to dig one up and see what the little guys look like.

IMG_4766.JPG

IMG_4767.JPG

Take an ant and drop it in the cone. The ant lion will flick up sand to cause the ant to slide to the bottom of the cone. The ant lion will grab the ant and pull it under the sand. Been doing that since I was a kid and still get a kick out of watching the action.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I used to throw flies into spider webs.

I still do. I get some big ass spiders that make homes in the hinges of my garage door and riding the doors up and down doesn't seem to bother them. A properly placed deer fly at the mouth of the tunnel and the big bastards come out and enact the revenge on the deer fly I like to watch. At the end of the summer I get a little sad to see the spider make their egg cases because I know they are at the end of there life cycle. I look forward to seeing and feeding their "kids" in the spring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

I still do. I get some big ass spiders that make homes in the hinges of my garage door and riding the doors up and down doesn't seem to bother them. A properly placed deer fly at the mouth of the tunnel and the big bastards come out and enact the revenge on the deer fly I like to watch. At the end of the summer I get a little sad to see the spider make their egg cases because I know they are at the end of there life cycle. I look forward to seeing and feeding their "kids" in the spring.

I had several Golden Garden spiders when I was 11? Amazing spinners of webs. I fed them so much they were the size of an adult thumb nail in September and had a dozen dried husk trophy's hanging 'out back'.

On 6/22/2021 at 11:18 AM, datzenmike said:

We have lots of earwigs...

Same here, I remember a guy back in mid 80's had build several ear wig traps. He took a gunnysack, fold it in half, length wise, then roll is up loosely, then soak it in water for about 5 minutes. Then take it and place it in the crotch of a tree or where ever. The moisture would attract the ear wigs during the night. He would leave it there for about a week. Then he would remove the gunnysack and unravel the sack in front of his chickens. We all know chickens will it anything, even their own kind. 

You probably don't have chicken, you could burn them or just tie them up in a plastic bag and toss them in the garbage. Anyways, thought I'd bring that up incase others are looking for a way to get rid of them.   

• Like 1