Truck rear-ended yesterday

XXL

Unlicensed driver ran into the back of the truck as I was signaling to take a left, waiting for oncoming traffic to clear... it was a low speed crash, and the bumper mostly did its job of protecting the tailgate... but my back hurts, I will have to do some straightening of both bedsides behind the wheel, and I will need a new bumper.  So... any leads on finding a replacement bumper like what I have on there now??? 

(This is a 'before' pic, of course)...

datsun09.jpg

I'll need a clean STRAIGHT bumper, as well as the rubber strips that go between the body and bumper on each side.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the BMW rear end you?

Yes  :sick:

The diamond plate on the bumper left their mark all the way down the black bumper strip on his car, plus it cashed the painted part of his bumper a bit, plus it caved in part of the grille.

whats your location?

I'm in Norcal.  I posted a WTB in the classifieds here-- http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/item/1207-wtb-520-regular-rear-bumper-not-bumperettes/

Did you alert the fuzz?

Yes, since he couldn't produce ID, I called the police to ensure there was proper documentation for the inevitable "that wasn't me... my car had been stolen" story.  The cop took his "identifying info" verbally, and ran it on the computer to confirm.  Hopefully it's not a huge hassle to deal with his insurance provider to get the truck fixed.  Back in January 2012, someone illegally changing lanes hit me in one of my other vehicles, pushing me into the curb.  The driver was very apologetic and "upset" at the time about her failing to heed the _6_ different signs/stripes on the road that prohibited her from changing lanes when she did (not to mention that I was already occupying that part of the universe at the time), and so we exchanged info without calling the police... then, later, to her insurance carrier... she claimed I rear-ended her... but that she didn't want me to have to fix her car (why would anyone who was ACTUALLY rear-ended NOT want the other person the fix their car?).  Even though there was zero damage to the rear of her car or the front of mine.  I presented photographic evidence of the damage to her vehicle, mine, and the tire marks on the curb... that clearly confirmed the fact that she tried to pass me on the right last-minute, and whip into the left turn lane ahead of me.  But instead, turned right into me, with her tire marking giant circles on my passenger door and front fender, then caving in the front of the fender, then pushing me into the curb on the left turn lane, where my left front wheel and tire were damaged.  Her carrier, Geico, tried desperately not to pay the claim.  I had to file against them in court... and then they caved in and took care of their insured's bad driving (sort of... I still ended up spending about $1200 out of my own pocket on stuff they wiggled out of covering).  

I understand that "accidents" happen.  I get it.  But when you're in one, be an upstanding person and do the right thing.  Don't try to wiggle your way out of your responsibilities by lying and cheating.  That's wrong, and it reflects poorly on you as a person.

/soapbox off

• Like 2

I have an extra one of those bumper, but it is rusty, and in West Linn, Oregon.  Just south of Portland.

Do you think some elbow grease (or maybe light media blasting) would clean it up?  Or is it rust rust?  If the former, I'd be interested in more info... detailed pics, etc.  Please PM if you think it's something that might work for me.  Thanks!

I have to say it is really hard to mess one of them bumpers up, are you sure the bumper is bad, or maybe it is just the mounting bracket?

I hope it did not bend the frame, but that could be fixed if bent, as it is not structural that far back.

Your one of the few on here that likes that type bumper, or maybe the others just don't admit to liking that type, but they are tough bumpers, if you had the stock split bumpers like I have, you would have had way more damage.

I have 2 of those bumpers. 1 was on a 620 bed and the other 1 is on a 69 521 I recently picked up. I may go ahead and rethink my decision on using bumperettes and go with the diamond plated rear bumper

If the BMW driver had no license, why should you believe he has valid insurance unless you have already confirmed coverage with the insurance company?

The photo of your truck's rear end is the best "commercial" for good stout rear bumpers that I have ever seen.

I have to say it is really hard to mess one of them bumpers up, are you sure the bumper is bad, or maybe it is just the mounting bracket?

Bent like a pretzel.

datsunrearended_04.jpg 

Frame rails appear visually OK, but I haven't done any cross-measuring yet to see if they're tweaked.

I have 2 of those bumpers. 1 was on a 620 bed and the other 1 is on a 69 521 I recently picked up. I may go ahead and rethink my decision on using bumperettes and go with the diamond plated rear bumper

Gene and I just bought a 521 and it has a bumper. I will get pictures of it.

I will be at the SWDP Barbeque on the 24th at the WigWam Hotel in San Bernadino.

I will post some pictures of the bumper.

• Like 1

that bumper doesn't look bent. It looks like it's been pushed in on one side. I got rearended just like you did and the mounting bolt snapped try reomoving the whole bumper and seeing what the damage really is. Barden bumpers are nearly bomb proof.

In 3 dimensions, it is clearly bent.  I tried to take a picture that would show just how bent it was, but that was the best I could do.  I had an 8' level up against it, but couldn't hold it and take pictures at the same time with only 2 hands.  It is bent in the middle, and then twisted under on the right side.  I have, over the years, built dozens of frames from the ground up on precision frame tables, and done lots of crash repair.  Trust me... it's bent.  :crying: 

Bent like a pretzel.

datsunrearended_04.jpg 

Frame rails appear visually OK, but I haven't done any cross-measuring yet to see if they're tweaked.

:lol: I don't know what pretzels look like where you live, but around here they look like figure 8s, that ain't no figure 8.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I can see it's bent in that photo, so he did hit you fairly hard, and I hope you are all right, it takes a considerable impact to bend one of them bumpers, MikeRL411 has it right, there would have been a lot of damage if you had the stock split bumperettes, your tailgate would have been toast, and the box would likely have been scrap also.

Even if the frame rails are tweaked a little, it's not structural that far back, so just use a giant crescent wrench and bend them back so that the new to you ironman bumper will fit and protect you from the next idiot that is a crash test dummy. 

• Like 1