Canby 2014 No Fucks Given - - June 14 & 15

I bought a dropcam for continuous upload via wifi to a cloud. I am now trying to find a decent hotspot which will allow me to upload consistently.

The stream can be made public online and since it is constantly uploading, there will be a plethora of footage to edit.

Going to go to service providers today..

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to run 1/8" toe out, found it's not that great.  A touch toe in, and I mean a gnat's ass, counts for the loading when you're going around the corner to bring it to exactly 0 under hard cornering.  Makes for faster cornering and better entry and exits.

You want slight toe in when you align it unless you have weight in the car.....

Watch the readings if you can when you get in it.........not when you're under it.........

Plenty of F bombs being dropped in the Hood over the weekend.  The 69 2L decided to spit out the rear axle bearing on the passenger side.  Pulled it and out, got the bearing off and discovered a roached axle too.  Turned into a classic case of "While I'm Here".  Replaced all four shocks. Not one had any charge left.  Pulled the driver side and found another bearing on it's way out.  Since the car was on the jack stands, I pulled the front wheels and checked the bearings there too.  OK but the grease needed to be changed.  What the hell, got this far, let's check the wear on the rotors.  Stupid is as stupid does.  Both sides under spec by a fair bit.  Guess now is as good as time as any to do the Volvo/Altima swap.  Oh, that's right, nobody in this town can do a custom line with metric on one end and SAE on the other.  Looks like a fast trip to Portland at some point this week to Oil Filter Service for some new lines.  I am still one grease shield short of having all the parts to put the rear back together but should be able to make it to Canby with this car if nothing else pops up....

• Like 1

How many peeps are doing last minute engine builds??

I seen 3-4 so far...........I'm sure there's more.........

-Skyblue 521

-Atom Church.....I guess that's not just an engine....

-Stretchbolts

-I'll be puling one more engine out the weekend before Canby..... but only to reseal it.....(DATSUNtrauma's)

Who else??

Im engine swaping my 521 right now. Only because the 210 head I was going to put on my L16 to replace the U67 on it ended up being bowed in the middle. So I decided to put my L20 together and I'm using the U67 head off my L16 cause its in the best shape out of all my cylinder heads. Waiting on gaskets then I can finish it up! Got to be able to get to Canby.

• Like 2

Im engine swaping my 521 right now. Only because the 210 head I was going to put on my L16 to replace the U67 on it ended up being bowed in the middle. So I decided to put my L20 together and I'm using the U67 head off my L16 cause its in the best shape out of all my cylinder heads. Waiting on gaskets then I can finish it up! Got to be able to get to Canby.

You've got plenty of time.....

I used to run 1/8" toe out, found it's not that great.  A touch toe in, and I mean a gnat's ass, counts for the loading when you're going around the corner to bring it to exactly 0 under hard cornering.  Makes for faster cornering and better entry and exits.

Turns out I was 3/8 towed out... not good, especially since all the roads in town here suck and I'm driving 400 mile round trips home often. I'm at 1/16" towed in now and it's perfect. 

^Yep!  

Plenty of F bombs being dropped in the Hood over the weekend.  The 69 2L decided to spit out the rear axle bearing on the passenger side.  Pulled it and out, got the bearing off and discovered a roached axle too.  Turned into a classic case of "While I'm Here".  Replaced all four shocks. Not one had any charge left.  Pulled the driver side and found another bearing on it's way out.  Since the car was on the jack stands, I pulled the front wheels and checked the bearings there too.  OK but the grease needed to be changed.  What the hell, got this far, let's check the wear on the rotors.  Stupid is as stupid does.  Both sides under spec by a fair bit.  Guess now is as good as time as any to do the Volvo/Altima swap.  Oh, that's right, nobody in this town can do a custom line with metric on one end and SAE on the other.  Looks like a fast trip to Portland at some point this week to Oil Filter Service for some new lines.  I am still one grease shield short of having all the parts to put the rear back together but should be able to make it to Canby with this car if nothing else pops up....

You know your local NAPA sells a double flaring tool and has separate metric and standard ends, right?  Or you could just cannibalize a short section of each brake tubing.  It's not that hard to double flare a line.  You'll botch a few, but then it's easy.

You want slight toe in when you align it unless you have weight in the car.....

Watch the readings if you can when you get in it.........not when you're under it.........

Find a good shop who will let you stay in the car while it's being aligned to get an accurate alignment for autocross.  Fortunately working for NAPA and catering to shops helps with that. ;)

^Yep!  

You know your local NAPA sells a double flaring tool and has separate metric and standard ends, right?  Or you could just cannibalize a short section of each brake tubing.  It's not that hard to double flare a line.  You'll botch a few, but then it's easy.

I have a SnapOff flair tool, so that part isn't the problem.  On the flex line one end is a banjo for 10x1.0 and the other is 3/8th x 24.  Oil Filter Services in Portland can make them up in 15 minutes and luckily my buddy is headed that way tomorrow to buy more 914 crap.  With luck the new grease catchers for the rear axles will be here tomorrow and I can get the rear end back together.  I need to crack open the Volvo calipers and cross drill them but that shouldn't take more than an hour or two at most.  The weak link now is the loose nut behind the wheel...

• Like 1

I have a SnapOff flair tool, so that part isn't the problem.  On the flex line one end is a banjo for 10x1.0 and the other is 3/8th x 24.  Oil Filter Services in Portland can make them up in 15 minutes and luckily my buddy is headed that way tomorrow to buy more 914 crap.  With luck the new grease catchers for the rear axles will be here tomorrow and I can get the rear end back together.  I need to crack open the Volvo calipers and cross drill them but that shouldn't take more than an hour or two at most.  The weak link now is the loose nut behind the wheel...

That sucks! I changed all the lines in the 510 to 3/16 standard.  Used an adapter at the caliper to do so.  Makes it a lot easier to get replacement hard lines.  The rubber does make it a pain in the ass though.  I think you'd have better luck converting one end to metric or standard, just so you could find a standard brake hose that would work.  Not that you really ever have to change them once every 30 years, but still, not a bad idea in case they split or crack somewhere odd that can't make the hose. 

Just do it!!  I'll get you a job up here at NAPA, move NAOW, be closer to the Datsun action! :D

I don't think I could take the cold dude!! So used to 100 degree weather now. 

I wouldn't mind the job upgrade though  :thumbup: