A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like it doesn't come with a title ,,and the previous owners are wrangling over it somewhat ( divorcing couple ) and may not have any keys, at least that's what he posted in another thread.

In  Washington there is nothing you can do with it without a legal title.. nothing.

Not true, I've had two cars was without title.

The WA state dept of licensing has a process to get title to untitled car. And another process for lost title.

But beware, you don't own the car until the title is transferred. Buy it and the guy with title can come take it away from you.

How is the ignition different from the Truck KA to the S13/14 KA? This is new to me.

It's in a different location.  ;)

In the trucks, the distributor is in the same location whether it's SOHC or DOHC.

Just like you can use an L-series distributor in an S13 SOHC, you can use it in the truck engine regardless of whether it's SOHC or DOHC. So the easiest way to have a carb'd DOHC would be to use a Frontier engine with a modified S13 intake.  :thumbup:

For reference:

atk331j-1.jpg

tbfesd9.jpg

• Like 1

The KA24DE from 240SX has a main bearing girdle. KA24E doesn't. That's your limiting factor right there, not where the block was made. Not how much heat the block can handle. The reinforced mains allow it to rev higher, thus make more power. The 16-valve head allows it to breathe better, thus make more power. More power in stock form. More power in modified form.

Sorry, the KA24E from the S13 240sx does have a girdle. None of the truck ones did. Here's mine, an '89...

KA24Eblock017Large-1.jpg

It's in a different location.  ;)

In the trucks, the distributor is in the same location whether it's SOHC or DOHC.

Just like you can use an L-series distributor in an S13 SOHC, you can use it in the truck engine regardless of whether it's SOHC or DOHC. So the easiest way to have a carb'd DOHC would be to use a Frontier engine with a modified S13 intake.  :thumbup:

For reference:

atk331j-1.jpg

tbfesd9.jpg

Mother of God. I just found my new winter project! This would be such a KICK ASS setup!!! Too bad the truck DOHC is rear sump. Easy enough to modify the pan though.... However, one thing comes to mind... The block is a bit longer, is it not?

Too bad the truck DOHC is rear sump. Easy enough to modify the pan though....

Here's the thing about pan swaps a lot people seem to miss...

You can't put a truck pan on a car motor (main girdle).

You can put a car pan on a truck motor.   ;)

BUT, one side note. It really looks like the truck SOHC and DOHC engines use the same short block, just a different head. So as long as the car uses the same pan on SOHC and DOHC, either should fit this engine. If the car uses two different pans (honestly can't remember), you may need the SOHC car pan. 

However, one thing comes to mind... The block is a bit longer, is it not?

99% sure they are the same length. 

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate the shared knowledge!

I really, really enjoy the KA. This may be due to to the fact that I have one... But that would only be a small influence on it. 

Here on Ratsun, it seems like a lot of guys also enjoy KA's, but man.... People who have 240SX' really hate the KA. So stupid... 

I've come to the conclusion that be happy with the 150ish HP and enjoy what i've got. People who say the KA is a POS are really ignorant. I beat the living shit out of mine. Still running nicely. To add to that, It's plenty fast enough to put you in your seat!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate the shared knowledge!

I really, really enjoy the KA. This may be due to to the fact that I have one... But that would only be a small influence on it. 

Here on Ratsun, it seems like a lot of guys also enjoy KA's, but man.... People who have 240SX' really hate the KA. So stupid... 

I've come to the conclusion that be happy with the 150ish HP and enjoy what i've got. People who say the KA is a POS are really ignorant. I beat the living shit out of mine. Still running nicely. To add to that, It's plenty fast enough to put you in your seat!

S13 guys are dumb. Durr SR swap is da best

It's like why? Yeah, they have high horsepower but you have to spin it up to 5k+ to get it

S13 guys are dumb. Durr SR swap is da best

It's like why? Yeah, they have high horsepower but you have to spin it up to 5k+ to get it

Lol, right? I didn't say this.... but..... the entire 240SX crowd are a bunch of damn thieves anywhoo.....

Think about how much more the KA-powered 240SX weighs over your KA powered, lightweight Datsun.

You're right... My registration claims the A10 is only 2270lbs. Roughly 300lbs lighter than an S13.

Think about how much more the KA-powered 240SX weighs over your KA powered, lightweight Datsun.

I'm talking about 240SXs, like why go down in displacement?

Cuz JDM, yo. 

I had a car come into my shop. Lexus IS300. 

Normally equipped with a 2JZ NA 6cyl. Nope. 

3SGE 4 cyl. Not even a BEAMS motor. Plain Jane. 

Why? I couldn't stop Lol'ing. Only one other tech was aware of this folly. 

JDM. Not an addiction as much as retardation. 

Lol, right? I didn't say this.... but..... the entire 240SX crowd are a bunch of damn thieves anywhoo.....

You're right... My registration claims the A10 is only 2270lbs. Roughly 300lbs lighter than an S13.

No, that's the Honda guys. The 240 guys are like "i got a 240, now I'm instantly a drift god"

Here's the thing about pan swaps a lot people seem to miss...

You can't put a truck pan on a car motor (main girdle).

You can put a car pan on a truck motor.   ;)

BUT, one side note. It really looks like the truck SOHC and DOHC engines use the same short block, just a different head. So as long as the car uses the same pan on SOHC and DOHC, either should fit this engine. If the car uses two different pans (honestly can't remember), you may need the SOHC car pan. 

99% sure they are the same length. 

Blocks are similar length but pistons and rods are different in the DOHC.

Car blocks E and DE are different from truck block castings and are much heavier.

Car and truck E engines have the same external oil pump like the L and Z series.

Car DEs are an internal oil pump but truck DEs are external.

Car Es have floating pistons, truck Es do not.

Truck Es and DEs have a V belt pulley but cars do not.

Blocks are similar length but pistons and rods are different in the DOHC.

Car blocks E and DE are different from truck block castings and are much heavier.

Car and truck E engines have the same external oil pump like the L and Z series.

Car DEs are an internal oil pump but truck DEs are external.

Car Es have floating pistons, truck Es do not.

Truck Es and DEs have a V belt pulley but cars do not.

Mike, always full of great info. Thank you. 

Now.. The only thing I'm questioning is that you state the car DE block is heavier than the truck DE. But, the truck DE has thicker cylinder walls.. Wouldn't this attribute to a heavier block than the car DE? 

Nonetheless, I think the truck DE would be the best choice for going with sidedraft carbs. Much easier (and much less money!) to get it going, simply due to the ignition set up.

Sorry, the KA24E from the S13 240sx does have a girdle. None of the truck ones did. Here's mine, an '89...

KA24Eblock017Large-1.jpg

This plus the back of the block covers the front of the transmission...

KA24Eblock001Large.jpg

KA24Eblock003Large-1.jpg

S13 KA24E (top) and Hardbody KA24E oil pans. Yes the S13 pan would fit the Hardbody if you needed a front sump pan for a car.

KA24Etruckand240axpans002Large.jpg

• Like 1