A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you rather have less hp?

the single cam is more aesthetically pleasing to me. the dual cam has that bottom cam gear?(idoler pulley?) that can wobble and strip the threads

I think it's funny you are interested in "upgrading" for higher HP when you say don't care about how much HP it has to begin with ...

The KA24DE from 240SX has a main bearing girdle. KA24E doesn't. That's your limiting factor right there, not where the block was made. Not how much heat the block can handle. The reinforced mains allow it to rev higher, thus make more power. The 16-valve head allows it to breathe better, thus make more power. More power in stock form. More power in modified form.

For some reason I can't quote post here on work computer.....

This is where it gets tricky, ggzilla, the the DE blocks made in Japan have a girdle, sure. Those DE's are exclusively found in the 240SX ONLY. But, the DE blocks found in the Xterra, Frontier, and other truck platforms around the globe that were "Hecho en Mexico" have a higher (nickel-?) content, and thicker cylinder walls. Get that! So, sure, a girdle is great, but so is thicker walls and better quality metal. From what I understand, though, the heads are all the same minus cams and manifolds.

I say I'd prefer a single cam because I enjoy having the under-dog things in life and rocking the shit out of them. Been poor all my life, might as well run with it! Haha! Although the DE is a great engine and I engine the peppy torque curve it delivers. A lot of people.. specifically the 240sx crowd.... bash on the KA and say RB / SR is the way to go. I say fuck that! Have fun with whatcha got!

Oh, and to add onabout the sohc KA there was a guy somewhere on KA-t I believe that had proven on a flow bench that pound-for-pound the sohc flows better the the dohc head if larger valves are installed.

All in all, I  agree with Fat510, the sohc is just ascetically more pleasing.

For some reason I can't quote post here on work computer.....

This is where it gets tricky, ggzilla, the the DE blocks made in Japan have a girdle, sure. Those DE's are exclusively found in the 240SX ONLY. But, the DE blocks found in the Xterra, Frontier, and other truck platforms around the globe that were "Hecho en Mexico" have a higher (nickel-?) content, and thicker cylinder walls. Get that! So, sure, a girdle is great, but so is thicker walls and better quality metal. From what I understand, though, the heads are all the same minus cams and manifolds.

I say I'd prefer a single cam because I enjoy having the under-dog things in life and rocking the shit out of them. Been poor all my life, might as well run with it! Haha! Although the DE is a great engine and I engine the peppy torque curve it delivers. A lot of people.. specifically the 240sx crowd.... bash on the KA and say RB / SR is the way to go. I say fuck that! Have fun with whatcha got!

Oh, and to add onabout the sohc KA there was a guy somewhere on KA-t I believe that had proven on a flow bench that pound-for-pound the sohc flows better the the dohc head if larger valves are installed.

All in all, I  agree with Fat510, the sohc is just ascetically more pleasing.

RB26 is the shit though...

• Like 1

I have read so many things about the potential the E has over the DE. The head is the key to all of this with the KAs. Hell, any car really. 

DE has no room left to work. Stiffled. The E has tons. Dollar for dollar, the E owns it in spades. 

The DE is more covered because more of these engines were available. Sure. 

But of all that I have read the E is a better engine in the end. 

Stock vs. stock-the DE hands down. Potential? No. 

• Like 1

I tuned the SUs  better now I have a little bit more power and low end torque and it doesn't do the weird studdering thing for right now.

Maybe most of the problem was that both carbs weren't opening at the same time because the linkage doglegs weren't synched 

Datsun carbs don't need tuning if you use the stock one. They only need adjustment.

If you switch carbs for example putting L16 twin carbs on an L20B, then some tuning may be needed.

Twin carb synchronization is normal adjustment procedure and not is tuning. Tuning is customizing the carb operation such as changing the jets or in the case of twin Hitachi the springs and needles.

Datsun carbs don't need tuning if you use the stock one. They only need adjustment.

If you switch carbs for example putting L16 twin carbs on an L20B, then some tuning may be needed.

Twin carb synchronization is normal adjustment procedure and not is tuning. Tuning is customizing the carb operation such as changing the jets or in the case of twin Hitachi the springs and needles.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the ones I got were off of a L16 so the linkage  had to be changed

I like my Hitachi, it runs like a fuel injected car with I've never had to do anything to it

Mine had the downdraft single, but last winter it was about 15 degrees out, I could crank it over for less than a second and it would be running without giving it any gas

can some one please give me a right up on the oil pump on the l20? i have everything put together but it wont quite fire up. it sounds waaay better already. but it seems like it has the same problem as the last time i did my timing. so if someone wants to help me out it would be much appreciated! :D

can some one please give me a right up on the oil pump on the l20? i have everything put together but it wont quite fire up. it sounds waaay better already. but it seems like it has the same problem as the last time i did my timing. so if someone wants to help me out it would be much appreciated! :D

http://forums.nicoclub.com/77-l20-advanced-a-tooth-confirmation-needed-please-t555816.html

Here's what i'm thinking >>>>>>>>>>> PINEAPPLLLLLE!!!

:lol: