Bob3

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what carb is that?

thats very strange ive never seen a weber with the choke pointed forward

Since I don't think anyone answered this, this is a Weber OEM replacement carb. Often called a "smog Weber", since it was the only smog-legal carb swap back when the car was still being smog-tested in most states. Not as much a "performance" carb as the 32/36, but it is mechanical secondary (instead of vacuum secondary like the stock carb), and it bolts right up to the stock manifold. :thumbup:

You don't have to drop the pump to get it to run. You might need to disconnect the bolt stopping the rotation of the dizzy to get it to line up. You can put the shaft anywhere you want, limited by the ability to place the body in a position(it will hit the water outlet or intake usually) that will allow it to line up with plug one wire(which can be in any of the 4 positions) and still have some adjustment range. BUT......it's best to set it as the book shows since it's much easier for future reference.

For temp testing, you can pull the bolt/s and use a small vise grip to hold it in place. Make sure that your wires are connected 1-3-4-2 in a COUNTERCLOCKWISE direction. Arcing in the cap can also cause backfiring. So can cam timing or a stuck intake valve.

....and I'm still waiting for those adoption papers to show up Bob. I can live in the shop and eat table scraps and left overs. ......and I'll bring my equipment and tools :)

Okay - - - :devil:

I'm pulling the dirty non running P.O.S. engine and rebuilding it!

I'm done trying to turn this TURD into a Diamond. If you want it right you have to do it right!

The guy I bought it from said "all you need to do is throw a battery in it and it will run". BULL S#%T! :devil: I've spent $1200 since I bought it and now I'm pulling the engine for a full rebuild.

Oh well - It'll be sweet when it's done. I just wanted to drive it before the snow comes. Looks like it just turned into a winter project. I wanted this done when "The Keeper" arrives. I better get busy! :sneaky:

• Like 1

why doesnt it run now?

will it be the same reason it wont after its rebuilt?

The cam timing is off. I took the cam pulley off to re-clock it. I couldn't get it back on. I tried and tried. I said F it and let the chain fall down it the DIRTY non running P.O.S. !

It will NOT have the same problem when it's rebuilt because it will be done correctly (I hope) by me! The car is too nice to have a dirty, caked up, ugly engine in it. That's why I just let the timing chain fall loose and force me to do it right. I'm still pissed about it! :angry:

Block & crank dropped off at the machine shop today. Head going in Monday.

So . . . I rolled the 710 out of the way . . . and . . .

I'm doing a little maintenance on the ol' MX520!

waitingforengine11-30-12.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update . . .

I decided to rebuild the L20b that I had in the '68 Rat and hook a 5 speed to it. I'm waiting on parts for the 1980 280zx 5 speed I'm putting in.

So . . . I removed the heater assy and took it apart, it was nasty inside. I took the heater core in and had it checked, it was bad according to the radiator shop I use, but it's all good now. Today I put it back together and back in the car.

I am waiting on a T/O bearing, then I can bolt up the transmission and I can stab the motor. It looks like I will need to make a new hole for the shift lever as the 5 speed is longer and have a new drive shaft made.

Then I'll cut some carpet for it and hopefully get it rolling soon!

Apart and cleaned

heaterapart.jpg

All Rebuilt!

heaterreadyforinstall.jpg