Back to'Etiquette ?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I understand that. Thats why I said we really cant include it and called out two knowledgable and legit members who have horrible forum posts grammatically. Its not really that big of a deal.

um tristin....u trying to get me banned again...bro.....it sounds u dont know me very well.... i am so far off legit its not even funny.....

and knowledgeable...wtf .....dood....

Etiquette:is a code of behavior that delineates expectations for social behavior according to contemporary, conventional norms within a group.

I don't think this includes spelling but there is an expectancy of being able to understand another person when they write. It's up to the writer to be legible and the reader to do the best they can to understand them. To ridicule the grammar is to be at fault as much as the writer, worse actually. The writer may not know how to spell but the reader certainly should know his manners.

To make humorous note of grammar error or faux pas where it is obvious the ridicule is not intended can actually be beneficial. The writer may strive harder to be more grammatically correct and understood.

I agree with most of that. I have been a forum hound for many many many years now and have seen really good practices and absolute horrible practices. One I always liked was forced thread reading. I cannot remember what type of forum backend (vBulletin, phpBB, IP Board, etc.), but when I newly register user logged on after activating their account, they were forced to read a series of threads before being allowed to navigate to any section of the forum. Then if there was some sort of service announcement, or forum wide news, the mods would kick on the feature for everyone and they would have to read whatever was being broadcast. Im not sure if it can be implemented here, but it would be nice if new users would be instantly taught how to post pictures, the difference between a coupe and a 2dr. sedan, that they should post a build/welcome/intro thread no matter how slow they think its going to be, WTB/FS practices, and the last one could be a Datsun FAQs or something. I think it would clear a lot up.

Im tired or going into thread where no one knows how to post images, or its one super tiny oic and barely a hello in the thread. Or the people that log on for 1-5 posts and post that they need parts with a single line of text and a phone number. I have no idea who these people are, why would I want to go out of my way to contact them to sell something. Id rather give it to a more active member I know a little bit about who has a build thread I can watch my old part go onto.

Id also like to say that a small sense of spelling and grammar should be mandatory, but then I know Indy510 with his eighteen period elipses and double spaced lines and JRock and his 3rd grade typing skills would get kicked off the forum. I guess we have to pick and choose what we want to enfore.

\

Pot calling the kettle .......... much??

:lol:

Etiquette:is a code of behavior that delineates expectations for social behavior according to contemporary, conventional norms within a group.

I don't think this includes spelling but there is an expectancy of being able to understand another person when they write. It's up to the writer to be legible and the reader to do the best they can to understand them. To ridicule the grammar is to be at fault as much as the writer, worse actually. The writer may not know how to spell but the reader certainly should know his manners.

To make humorous note of grammar error or faux pas where it is obvious the ridicule is not intended can actually be beneficial. The writer may strive harder to be more grammatically correct and understood.

I agree with most of that. I have been a forum hound for many many many (missing comas) years now and have seen really good practices and absolute horrible practices. One I always liked was forced thread reading. I cannot remember what type of forum backend (vBulletin, phpBB, IP Board, etc.), but when I (Should be a not I) newly register user logged on after activating their account, they were forced to read a series of threads before being allowed to navigate to any section of the forum. Then if there was some sort of service announcement, or forum wide news, the mods would kick on the feature for everyone and they would have to read whatever was being broadcast. Im (that's I'm not Im) not sure if it can be implemented here, but it would be nice if new users would be instantly taught how to post pictures, the difference between a coupe and a 2dr. sedan, that they should post a build/welcome/intro thread no matter how slow they think its going to be, WTB/FS practices, and the last one could be a Datsun FAQs or something. I think it would clear a lot up.

Im (again I'm not Im) tired or going into thread(s) where no one knows how to post images, or its one super tiny oic and barely a hello in the thread. Or the people that log on for 1-5 posts and post that they need parts with a single line of text and a phone number. I have no idea who these people are, why would I want to go out of my way to contact them to sell something (?). Id (that's I'd not Id) rather give it to a more active member I know a little bit about who has a build thread I can watch my old part go onto.

Id (I'd not Id) also like to say that a small sense of spelling and grammar should be mandatory, but then I know Indy510 with his eighteen period elipses (ellipses) and double spaced lines and JRock and his 3rd grade typing skills would get kicked off the forum. I guess we have to pick and choose what we want to enfore. (enforce)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: This thread is a winner!!!!

2eDeYe' timestamp='1344276608' post='733452']

Ronnie Johns, great Aussie comedian.

Anyway, my two cents worth.

I joined Ratsun as I hope an active and worthwhile contributor, primarily due to the diaper wearing, knuckle dragging, single digit IQ so called enthusiasts who tend to populate some of our car forums here.

So far, for my limited time posting on Ratsun, I've found the majority of people to be informative, polite, and More importantly, interested in a wide variety of topics and vehicle models.

I'm a bit of a spelling and grammar Nazi sometimes, but, as long as a thread is posted in relatively legible English, I don't mind how it reads. Written communication is a one dimensional form and some people don't have the benefit of writing a lot, higher education, etc and therefore their posts may not meet the grammatical standards some of us would like.

Not a big fan of wasting bandwidth and try to post relevant information and reasonable pictures which give a good overview of what I'm doing, or what I'm trying to explain. One thing I'm not a fan of is when people get into pissing competitions on the Internet and don't treat people fairly.

I use words like respectfully, sincerely, please, thank you and other niceties because I genuinely mean it when I use these words. Many people think politeness is a sign of weakness, I see it as a sign of strength!

Anyway, if you've got this far without falling asleep, thanks for reading.

Regards as always form down under

Jason

Just a few things:

1. Spelling mistakes happen. I wasnt talking about that... I was talking abou people who can't type worth shit and make a digital asshat of themselves because they sound and look like a 3rd grader because of their text speaking EvEry LETTER DOESNT ne3d toos b a capital.

2. I don't know how this turned into a spelling thread; that was not the point of this. The point was etiquette of new members: how they should act and behave when they show up freshly registered.

3. I take no offense to the chiding, but I think the last full page of ellipses and nine people correcting the same post is the "cool story bro" attitude that scares some people off.

We have all figured out that spelling correction isn't a viable option. I'm glad you've talked about it for two pages no when I plainly said it wasn't possible my first post. This thread is for etiquette.

And a question: is there a section for site suggestions?- I didn't see one.

What I can't stand is having to click on to a thread because the topic is so vague you cant tell what it's about.

thats my specialty, i also like to make the thread sound more interesting than it was ...shock and mystery...