mklotz70 NL320

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. It's VanSickle tractor paint from Coastal. It comes in can, quarts and gallons. The gallons are only about $25-30.....so, if you want to shoot with a gun you can, then if you have a boo-boo, you can fix it with a rattle can :) It's a bit slow on the dry time, but it seems to flow out nicely. You can get hardener for it too, but that stuff ain't cheap. I think the pint can is enough for a gal, but at $27/pint, it doubles the price of the paint.

I love the plastikote caliper paint I used on the eng and frame.....but at $6.39 a can.....OUCH!!! That stuff dries nice and fast!! Anyway...time to sleep :)

Wow mike that is so nice!!!! the frame looks good, I don't see any pitting. I hope your not entering in the truck class, I want a trophy :D hhhmmm maybe there will be enough trucks they will have an engine swap class, that way I won't have to worry about you :D

I doubt you'll have to worry about losing to this rig! :) If I don't get busy, it's going to be getting towed in!!

DCP_6586.jpg

I managed to save the rubber around the column. It has holes, but you can't see them. Hopefully, I can find some other grommets for the other holes in the firewall. This stuff takes too much time!! I should have stuck with the plan to simply get it running and limp it down to Canby!! :)

I order all the grommets from a furnace shop. I think the biggest I could find was 2" or maybe less.

Dude your on the home stretch, the back together goes faster because its so much fun. The welding body work and paint striping is the slow boring part.

The plan is to have it driveable by then. I also plan on leaving the body above the trim the way it is. If I have time, I will shoot something on the bottom. Most likely black...not positive. Every little thing is time consuming and tedious! Ice says putting it back together is the best part.....yes, but I have to clean, paint, detail as I go. If it were all just sitting there waiting, it would be a lot nicer!! :)

I was planning on simply sticking in an extra fuse block from a 510 or 521, but I hit it with the glass beads for about 3-4 min.......have I mentioned how much I love the glass beads?!!!!

Dcp_6630a.jpg

Dcp_6631a.jpg

Dcp_6632a.jpg

Ice says putting it back together is the best part.....yes, but I have to clean, paint, detail as I go. If it were all just sitting there waiting, it would be a lot nicer!! :)

Yeah I hear, I still like cleaning and painting parts better than doing body work :D

It looks like that fuse box sat in the ocean for a few years in the first pic :D It sure turned out nice mike!!

bit of a drive just to clean parts!! :)

If you look at the rust in the bottome of the fuse clips, you'll see some really heavy rust. The under side looked like that! What I find so impressive with the glass beads is that it blasted off the really heavy rust, yet you can still read the lettering on the brass pieces!!

Here's a couple more of the headlight bucket. I know I didn't get rid of the rust entirely, but close enough for what I'm doing now. A second set will get blasted and powdercoated when I do this rig for real.

DCP_6618.jpg

DCP_6619.jpg

DCP_6623.jpg

Check out how nicely it cleans up the wiring and connector!!

DCP_6628.jpg

DCP_6629.jpg

I'm sure some of you guys have seen this before, but if not.......using aluminum foil for masking odd shaped items is a lot easier/faster than trying to tape/untape it.

DCP_6634.jpg

Okay...a few more demo'ing the awesomeness of the GB's.

DCP_6588.jpg

DCP_6589.jpg

DCP_6591.jpg

DCP_6594.jpg

Yes, I did go back and get the speckles out of the center area. I shoved a paper towel into the horn to keep from filling it with beads.

OK, I'm convinced Mike, big air compressor has now been moved to the list of needs from wants along with a decent sandblaster outfit. Man, that's incredible how well that cleans up the parts. Nice work!