mklotz70 NL320

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was great Mike!

I just had the crummiest day. I am constantly amazed at how many total bone heads there are in this world... and that I seem to attract them like a magnet.

Your video post salvaged an otherwise bizarre day. Thanks man! :cool:

I'm glad to see I amuse more people than just myself!! :)

Amanda is an ace with her camera.....I made her use mine to make it easier on me.....probably only the second time she's ever touched it.

I'm looking forward to getting some missing nuts and such put back on it so I can run it on the carbs. Ought to have pretty sweet throttle response with no exhaust!!

No...this doesn't mean the swap is a go, but it's a plus. Also means it will be easier to resell if I decide not to :)

I'm thinking two 1.25" pipes, side by side, all the way back....no mufflers.....ought to sing!! :) I don't like loud rigs....but since it won't be able to actually go fast.....maybe I'll at least make it sound like it!! :)

I'm thinking two 1.25" pipes, side by side, all the way back....no mufflers.....ought to sing!! :) I don't like loud rigs....but since it won't be able to actually go fast.....maybe I'll at least make it sound like it!! :)

a buddy of mine has a nl320 with a chevette 1.6 in it and he did the same thing with his exhaust. he had the HO exhaust manifold that had 2 exits. lol i would highly advise runnin at least glasspacks closer to the engine, and then havin the rest of the tubing goin out the back. that would sound sweet.

anyways, looks good man!

I don't do anything in the shop without the knee pads!! I found they actually keep my legs warm!! :)

I've never seen any pics of the NL with the chevette motor.....does he have a thread up somewhere....if not, you should start/do one!!!

Thanks guys. I took more vid of trying to start it on gas, but there's some major vac leaks....so I need to get a few more things squared away before I can keep it running........like watching the SU video again!! :)

I've never seen any pics of the NL with the chevette motor.....does he have a thread up somewhere....if not, you should start/do one!!!

i dont think he gets on here very much. i just talked to him the other day, and he said that the chevette motor had blown up last year. so the truck has been sittin for a while now. heres a pic of it tho...

PHTO0003.jpg

Oh, That one!!! :) I've talked to him before. I didn't remember the motor....don't think I've seen pics of the mtr. Love the hood!!! In fact, his rig is to blame for this whole roadster theme mine is headed towards!

It's a tight squeeze no matter what he decides to put in there. I was thinking about a vg30.....but because the frame is so narrow, I'd have to go to coilovers and rack & pinion....more work than I want to mess with. Not even sure if I want to mess with this amount of work :)

Mike, the ka fit in there pretty good, the only issue we were going to have with Rusty's truck was how to shoehorn a radiator in there. The engine bay and frame is a little short. Oh, and exhaust might be an issue also, but it looked like it would run outside the frame.

I pm'd Rusty awhile back to have him send me some pics of it....but then I think I told him not to bother since, at that point, I had decided against getting it. But....Michael made me a deal I could pass up.....dang him all to heck!!! LOL j/k!! :) Just got back from an errand in it.....had no less than 5 different people/groups giving me waves, smile, thumbs up. Had a guy on a motorcycle pull up beside me at a R/R stop and ask me about it. Pulling out of the parts store a really cute 20something brunette did the finger drawing in the air "I heart your truck" sign. So I pulled up and she said she loved it, that it was just her size.....then her boyfriend came out from around the other side of their SUV :( Oh well.....my truck put a smile on her face and she put one on mine! :) I really should drive this thing more :)

I get chaufered to work everyday.....I can easily go a week without driving at all!!!! Suits me just fine!! :) I don't care what the car is...I have no desire to drive anything daily!!

Maybe when the heater and wipers are fixed on the NL I'll be more inclined to drive it.

So, yesterday, A100addict and I made a trip out to Hood River.....and I actually drove!! My right leg hurt the rest of the evening....oh well :)

I had mentioned that I wanted an auto to put behind the G15 in the NL. 67411sss pm'd me with a deal I couldn't refuse.........Thanks!.....I think :) Between him and spriso, I now have another major project on my hands because they make killer deals I can't say no to :( .......seriously....thanks!! :)

So....I thought I'd put up a few pics from the day.

Nice little 411. No, it's not getting parted. We took the eng trans out to make room for a new eng/4spd combo.....then his plans are to sell it.

100_2536.jpg

100_2537.jpg

100_2538.jpg

Yes...that's snow on the back window.

100_2545.jpg

100_2546.jpg

100_2547.jpg

100_2548.jpg

100_2557.jpg

For somebody that doesn't enjoy working with engines.....I now have three of the dang things in the shop!! :(

100_2559.jpg

nuttin' a little JB Weld can't fix!!! Rebuildable core....$300...anyone? anyone?? :)

100_2560.jpg

These two little goodies are what made a great deal into an awesome deal!!! The EI dizzy and the spin on oil filter! Sweet!! :)

100_2561.jpg

We stumbed across this place on the way out....stopped by on the way back. The had some really nice stuff in there. I didn't take many pics cause I plan on going back....in the NL maybe :) There's a pretty cool train museum on the northside of the river on the way back... would make a sweet cruise some day :)

100_2549.jpg

100_2550.jpg

100_2556.jpg

Looks like a fun day! I like all the pics :D

That crack in the block is huge! WOW

I was dismantling a CA18DET at Tana's shop and there happened to be a 411 crank and block also taken apart so for fun I measured the crank to see the bearing size differences. The 411 crank bearings were huge compared to the CA ones, kinda weird huh :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Crabbyone for coming over and helping out today. At least there was somebody working in the shop....sure didn't seem to be me!! :)

So we tore apart the bad R16. Top end looked just fine. Bottom end.....not so much!! :)

So I think I'll go with the R16 water pump...bigger impellor, radius-ed passeages, and most importantly.....shorter!! :)

I'll have to check and see what the R16 head does to the compression. It's an aluminum head instead of cast iron.....so I might just swap it out later.

100_2851.jpg

100_2852.jpg

100_2853.jpg

100_2857.jpg

100_2868.jpg

100_2869.jpg

100_2871.jpg

I'm not actually sure how long it has taken, but I just read this entire thread...all of it!:eek:

Very nice machine man! I love the "Rat" quality that you have been able to maintain while keeping it fully drivable and fun. Isn't that what its all about!:cool:

The roadster motor would be so great to throw in...I know it's just one more thing but MAN would that be awesome! With the scoop....and then run dual tips out the ass end right from the header....:eek::D:D

Flippin Sweet!!!

Thanks for the heads up on the brakes too. I will be in touch about it all...let me know how things are looking from your end too. I would be way into this idea, cause it would keep it lookin totally stock

Great lookin ride! Gets my vote for coolest thread on here...that I have read all the way through...at one sitting...at work.:lol: