mklotz70 NL320

Sorry.....didn't mean to make it sound like yours wouldn't be competition. I can get a bit cocky at times...especially after a bunch of people tell me my NL was getting their vote.....obviously, no one is going to come up to me and tell me they were voting for yours! :) ....so I only notice one side of it. The only ballots that I was able to peak at had yours marked....I was actually a bit worried. I don't think it was the landslide victory I'd like to think it was. Yours was shiny and stock and that appeals to a ton of datsun people. The other NL was shiny and stock....so I figured it would have beat us both. There's something about the NL's, maybe the rareness, that people just go for......so I was a bit arrogant thinking that I had a bit of an edge, simply because it was an NL. A bunch of the datsun crowd is actually turned off by the fact that I left the faded paint and modded the suspension. I figure it's my truck....if they want a pure NL....they can go get their own :)

I'm sure that when I take it to PIR in a couple of weeks, I'll get slapped around a good bit by the American steel guys.......even though both of our 320's have lower production numbers than anything they might have :)

Of course, I thought Paula's rig would win her class too....obviously I was wrong there too :) John has a great rig, but we'd put a ton of work into Paula's......but as I said.....the majority love shiny and stock :)

I like to say that I bring them to share and not to show, but I guess I'm a bit more competive than I'd like to admit.

I'm not sure I'm up for another "prep" session like this year.....so next year, it probably will be just to share....and I can do that for $5 :) .....I'll probably still enter them just to support the club. I'll try not to be so competitive :)

Anyway....you've got an awesome L320....again...my appologies :)

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No intentions of selling at this point. I see me keeping it a minumum of two more years. But...I told Paula that if someone put $8K in my hand, it would go bye-bye. I know that way high, but I'm not motivated to sell it...........but everything has it's price :) After seeing a really nice 520 for sale at the show this weekend....for $4000.....$8grand doesn't sound completely pyscho.

It drives pretty nice right now. I got to put about 120 miles on it this weekend going back and forth to Canby. I just need to get the rear riding as nice as the front!! :)

Heh, don't be surprised if I try to buy it off you some day Mike! Even with having to get it to the east coast! Two more years gives me some time!

no worries, i actually like the bodystyle of the NL's way better than the L's so i can see a lot of where youre comin from too. the bed just doesnt seem to fit the cab on them.

i know what you mean about the american steel guys, a lot of them wont take a glance at anything thats foreign. but i still love goin to local car shows because there are always a bunch of people that understand that you cant open a catalog and order everything you need to restore these rare dattos. it also surprised me about how many people have came up to me at shows and had stories about their families old 320 or other old datto. i know ill continue to share my 320 at local classic car shows because i know all the weird looks i get from american car guys always gets surpassed by the smile on the next little kids face that sees the truck.

Glad I got to see the front disk swap up close and personal. Looks great Mike now all you have to do is powder coat the rest of the parts:lol::lol: JK

By the way I want to go to PIR Wednesday night if the weather holds. I think Kizz is going to go to?

The guys with american steel that built their rods with they wallet don't get my respect anyway. The ones that actually turn their own wrenches are usually pretty cool when they've found out about some of the fab work it's had.

This wed doesn't work for us......it's our 25th anny....we're going to do something just a bit more special than a cruisin' :)

mike- why didn't you get braided stainless front brake lines?

I didn't know about the "cheap" option at the time and I've never been a huge SS line fan anyway. The back line was the only way to get a new hose, so it worked out perfect. I may do the same with the fronts on the next rig. Since I was changing the hard line anyway, I just made it metric, then I could run the cheaper stock HB line :)

Your engine bay is amazing. I only wish I could have an engine bay that clean. All the subtle details are pretty amazing. This whole truck has turned out better than I could even imagine. I'm going to have to steal some ideas. :D

Thanks. Steal away :) There's more mods coming down the road anyway :)

Thanks. :)

Here's a couple more I meant to post. I pulled into Bill's to wait for Paula to catch up. I didn't notice the wires hanging. When Paula caught up, she pointed out that I didn't have a brake light on that side. That's because it popped out of the housing and bounced on the asphalt somewhere along the line. I'll be fixing that asap :)

Big thanks to Redeye for the lettering!!!! I got it from him about a year ago...finally got it on fri night before Canby. Now I just need to tint the windows to make it stand out even more!! Thanks Steve!!!

Got the magnetic sticker on the glovebox from A100addict.....hhmmm...he knows me well!! :)

DCP_8550.jpg

DCP_8556.jpg

I gave her quite a work out today! About 30mi each way to AMI to chat with Nelson and Brian. Karl and Mike showed up....added bonus :) On the way back, I stopped off at Clackamas steel and got about 50lbs of steel to add to the 70lbs? of rims. Between that and my mass, I started bottoming out the suspenson on the speed bumps. :( I wanted to avoid the highway as much as I could, so I ended up taking a detour up over Mt Scott.....went up an down some pretty steep inclines. Brakes worked great and she didn't overheat at all! Second gear going up was a bit slow!!

Been having a blast driving her around. Got the brake/tail light fixed this morning. Found out the Ebrake cable is actually broken. I'll have to fix that soon. Anyway, she still needs a lot of work, but I'm actually looking forward to most of it :)

It's been a blast driving it around!! I need to raise the front up just a bit and it will ride so sweet!

The front or just the drivers side? :lol:

Hey Jeff....you can come down and do MY work!! :)

I raised the front end....I can take speed bumps at more than 5mph now!! It's up about 1.5", but it rides so much better. I've been driving the dang thing so much, I would rather lose a tiny bit of "cool" by raising it as opposed to slamming the bumpstops and grinding on the tires. Got the speedo hooked up too. Adjusted the valves....yada, yada....gonna make a sweet daily driver for the summer!!!

Yeah after driving my kingcab for a year on the bump stoppers I know exactly what you are talking about.

In the engine shot of your rig it looks like the heater hoses are just looped, is the heater not hooked up or am I just missing somthing?