mklotz70 NL320

okay...............but do you like the truck?? :) lol

I'd love to have it in by Canby, but since I spend so much time on the internet instead of in the shop.....this moment as a case in point! :) ....it's not looking like it's going to happen. I should have brakes done fairly soon.

...by the way....I want your job!! :)

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got rid of the '68 521, only to fill the hole with a roadster frame and rebuilt eng! M. Spreadbury made me another deal I couldn't refuse.....but at least the 521 is taking up space at his place and not mine now!! :) Thanks Michael!!

This motor is rebuilt, so it should be the one actually making it between the frame rails of the NL......someday. I was eyeballing how the front suspension bolts to the frame.....hhhmmm..... :)

100_3147.jpg

100_3148.jpg

100_3149.jpg

100_3150.jpg

100_3153.jpg

This is literally a "Ratsun" frame!!!!!.....okay....Mousan. It made it all the way home!

100_3141.jpg

100_3142.jpg

Hmmm, how close, dimensionally, is the roadster frame to the 320 frame? Or should we say dementially....here you go Fisch....roadster frame, 320 cab with roof removed,

Ford model "A" bed, track roadster nose, and those artillery wheels. Duvall style windsield, bomber buckets, 4 spoke sprint car steering wheel. Grey primer, with gloss blue wheels, hardware, etc....

Sorry Mike, you know how this happens....grins

Considering the roadster frame will be in pieces about 3' long.....it's not even close dimensionally :)

:lol:Yeah man...thats funny! Theres nothin' quite like the feeling of saving space the "Oxy/acetylene" way.

We did a Fiat the same way...and a Toyota, and about 4 Volkswagens.

That Roadster motor has a really neat retro :cool:quality that I am really diggin! I love the huge letters on the side of the block and the massive oil filter housing!:cool:

Are you gonna run some dual sidedrafts on it? That would just look sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo......:blink:

at home in the engine bay of your little truck!

The O/A rig didn't even cross my mind.....the sawzall and plasma did......but I could use some practice with the O/A!! :) It gets pulled out about once a year....maybe. I've thought about selling it several times :)

Your mention of the oil filter housing just gave me an idea I'll have to check on....thanks! :)

This eng is a rebuilt version of the other one I posted. It will get the same dual carb setup :)

Crabbyone and I email all the time...his idea is to take the left over motor....all dolled up....and put it on a stand in the back of the NL for display...... that would look really sweet!!!! I should set it up so I could fire it up!!! 10-20sec runs...wouldn't even need a cooling system :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks! Hopefully, I can get back too it before the end of summer.

The dizzy mod works awesome! The only issues I've ever had with starting is because the accelerator pump in the carb isn't working. I never have a spark issue! :)

• 3 months later...

Wowl...time flies!! Didn't realize just how long it's been since the last update. Basically, I've been hitting running errands in it. But, at the last minute, I thought it would be cool to take it to the bbq (70mi 1 way).....so I pulled out a 3.89 diff, pulled the NL's diff....did some cleaning....did some gear swapping.....basically, the kind of work I hate doing on cars!!! Boy was it worth it!!! It's a bit of a dog off the line, but dang does it cruise the highway nicely now!!!!!!!! Paula said if she went any slower than 60, I would pull away. I was following my buddy's daughter....faking like I was going to pass her......she said her speedo read 70..... I really doubt we were actually going that fast, but the fact that I can keep up with traffic now is awesome!!!! I think I'm going to see about putting the weber dgv carb on there.....maybe a single SU.....so many other things to do first. The NL is a completely different rig now!! It's much more like a car now than a farm truck!!! I guess I'll have to fix the wipers and the heater now too! :)

Wowl...time flies!! Didn't realize just how long it's been since the last update. Basically, I've been hitting running errands in it. But, at the last minute, I thought it would be cool to take it to the bbq (70mi 1 way).....so I pulled out a 3.89 diff, pulled the NL's diff....did some cleaning....did some gear swapping.....basically, the kind of work I hate doing on cars!!! Boy was it worth it!!! It's a bit of a dog off the line, but dang does it cruise the highway nicely now!!!!!!!! Paula said if she went any slower than 60, I would pull away. I was following my buddy's daughter....faking like I was going to pass her......she said her speedo read 70..... I really doubt we were actually going that fast, but the fact that I can keep up with traffic now is awesome!!!! I think I'm going to see about putting the weber dgv carb on there.....maybe a single SU.....so many other things to do first. The NL is a completely different rig now!! It's much more like a car now than a farm truck!!! I guess I'll have to fix the wipers and the heater now too! :)

sweet you going to put on that weber i sold you along time ago ? the single su would be sweet

ya....the E1 actually has quite a bit of torque, despite the lack of HP....so I was actually quite surprised at how well it handled the hills. It takes a bit to get up to speed, but the fact that it can actually get to a decent speed means I won't be going back. If I get to do the motor swap....then I think it will be really, really sweet on the road. Since the 4 spd and the auto are both have 1:1 finals....I don't think I'll be disappointed with the auto. I was a bit worried about the rpms at highway speed.....the 510 wgn used to run at about 3800.....but I finally realized today that it had shorter tires. Anyway.....I'll be looking forward to doing the swap with the auto.......I'm so tired of shifting!!! :)

I'm kinda thinking of putting a single SU on. Since a single 43 will be sized just about right for the 1200, I'm wondering if that will help or hinder the torque. I'm considering this.... one because I want to play with it and two, because I may not get to do the motor swap this year....depends on how long it takes to finish Mend :)

I'm not that concerned with off the line quickness since taking off from a stop is less than 5% of the driving time. With the 4.88's, I could idle through a school zone in 4th gear and still get going again. Now...I'd have to drop to 3rd or it will stall :) I'll have a hard time hauling wood with it.....only starting off on a hill with the load.....but hopefully, the eng swap will be done before that time comes around again :)

I put the 3.89's in Paula's 521 years ago. We can haul wood, tow vehicles with no prob........and it will easily do 70 on the highway. Heck....I'm usually at freeway speed in 3rd on the ramp. For some reason her L16/dogleg has a lot of pep to it!! :)