Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

Mark,

If you are thinking about a fuel filler door, you might PM Datsunfreak.  The wagon that I bought from him has a fuel filler door and he may remember what it was from.

Hmmmmm, I really should start working on that thing.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mark,

If you are thinking about a fuel filler door, you might PM Datsunfreak.  The wagon that I bought from him has a fuel filler door and he may remember what it was from.

Already covered.   ;)

Hmmmmm, I really should start working on that thing.

If you ever want to just sell it back to me, let me know...   ^_^

All the 5 Series cars I looked at in the wrecking yard appeared to have electric seats in them.  I also think they may have slightly bigger seats than the 3 Series.  I could be dead wrong on that, though B)

I wanted them because they look more like a vintage seat, and not so much "space age" styling.  I wanted something comfy and looked somewhat like it goes with the era of the wagon.    Hopefully, they look okay after I get them in there.  I plan on having the back seat recovered to match.

Right now, we're having a helluva cold snap, and my friend's shop is really drafty.  I'm doing a lot of stuff at home until this cold spell passes, so the seat mounts will be a few weeks.

Those seats are also in the e39 5 series, I had them
In my 528 touring with adjustable extensions. Nice seats.

• Like 1

Yep,

I emailed him quite a while back and told me that the blue wagon has a mid-80's Subaru wagon filler on it.

I also took my template to the wrecking yard the other day, and it seems like most of the 80's import cars appear to have a filler door that would work.  The small import cars that the big 3 Companies were selling in the 80's  seem like they might work, too.

I haven't gotten too far into it, but it looks like there are some suitable donors for my little project.

My only two requirements are that the filler tube clears the inside panel, and the door is NOT lockable or cable actuated.  I like simple!

Mark,

DF, not even close to wanting to sell (not sure about the motor and trans though), gotta get the green coupe at least rolling first.

Duncan, FWIW, the gas flap on mine is cable operated.

Late 80s Jeep Grand Cherokee maybe? Seems like all the import stuff I've seen is cable-operated...

I might have found a few.  Chevy and Chrysler imported a few econo J-cars in the 80's and I noticed some of them didn't have a cable actuated door.  The BMW  Series 3 looks like it may work, the early Mazda 323 appears to be a possibility, too.

I need to charge up my batteries on my portable stuff, and I'll probably get something this week or next. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while, but I have been futzing with the wagon.  Put the dash harness in a while ago, but was not terribly happy with how it went in, so I recently yanked it out and reinstalled it with much better results.  I couldn't see taking a photo.  Nothing much to look at there.

Actually found a correct heater control valve for my heater.  Turned out to be absolute junk.  I had a USDM 510 heater valve I was going to cannibalize to rebuild it, but the internals are different sizes.  I ordered a valve from a spec sheet online and it was delivered in San Diego.  I haven't see it yet, but my friend says he's pretty sure we can make it work.  I just need to cut off the current valve's mounting brackets and fab up one to mount on my heater.  We'll see how that goes soon.

Spent a HELL of a long time on these...

squeege.jpg

Spent quite a bit of time fixing dents and polishing these.  Installing new squeeges turned out to be quite a job, too.  I was expecting the new rubber to have attached metal backing, but I just got the rubber.  I don't know if you're supposed to save the original metal backing when you remove the original stuff, but mine was all rusty and got destroyed when I took them off.  (It probably didn't help that I was a caveman when I took them apart, either)

The new rubber is too flimsy to be put on by itself, so I cut some stainless steel strips and made my own backing for these.  I first put them together with small #4 bolts and nuts to hold them all in place, then I came back and riveted the assemblies together.  I removed one bolt at a time replacing it with a rivet.  It took a while, but I think they came out nice. 

squeeg1.jpg

Here's the backside of one of the moldings.  The strips are stainless, and the rivets are aluminum, so rust shouldn't be an issue in the future.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with one of these for my fuel door.  These look really nice and the 32" radius door with the 45 degree angle looks like it will work perfectly on the wagon.  The gas cap is very trick, too..

http://www.haganauto.com/fuel_doors_gas_lid_s/5.htm

• Like 2

Nice goon. And a ton of well thought out quality work.

I imagine you wish you'd just bought one stateside .At least then you would have known what you were getting in to.

I guess beauty truly is skin deep. 

Ur cutting and welding in to a almost finished quarter.

I change things up on my wagon also. Painted 4 doors then converted it to a 2 door wagon :)

I've never liked how the gas cap on a wagon was exposed.  Cutting that section out and adding a nice, clean fuel door will give the wagon a much cleaner look, IMHO.  We're probably only looking at 2-3 days work from start to finish, and it WILL be bitchen! :thumbup:

I've liked the 2 door wagons I've seen.  I can't remember how you did yours.  Did you move the B pillar back and use sedan doors?  I think that would look good, but then there's the challenge of filling in the rear doors and the cargo glass..

Can't wait to see where yours goes :thumbup:  

• Like 1

I have purchased a few doors card sets since I've had the wagon.  The brown set I bought was a later model style, and I bought a red set which is the earlier style.  Both were in decent shape, but my wagon uses the earlier style, so I am going with that. 

I only have the one interior panel for the rear hatch, and it's in fair shape, so I am using it for now. 

Here it is in it's native color brown, but not for too much longer.

brnpnl.jpg

I've had this really nice vinyl dye for a few years now, so after some scrubbing and an good application of adhesion promoter, here it is after the vinyl dye was sprayed: 

blkpnl.jpg

This is really simple to do, and I really like this particular dye.  Unfortunately, I can't get an more of it, and I still have 4 doors cards and the rear side panels to do.  SEM makes a three-part system that I'm sure will be just as good, I'm just bummed I have to do something different when this works so well. 

Chances are, I will have something made up for the door cards, but these should look pretty good in the meanwhile.

• Like 1

You can't get that stuff online anywhere? What's it called? 

It loosk good.

I wish I could.  I bought this stuff from an upholstery supplier and it has NO markings on it.  They private labeled it, and they put it in generic packaging with no labels.  The place has since gone out of business, (they were real assholes, so it doesn't surprise me) so I have to do something else.

I did my complete dash and heater assembly, and the stuff works very well on ABS plastic, too.  

There's a couple of Youtube videos on the SEM vinyl dye, and I'm sure that will work just fine.  It's just a bit more involved to use, and a bit more money, but the end results look just as good from what I've seen of it.

There's a couple of Youtube videos on the SEM vinyl dye, and I'm sure that will work just fine.  It's just a bit more involved to use, and a bit more money, but the end results look just as good from what I've seen of it.

I use this stuff, not sure if it's what you're talking about...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PL06EE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2ZDSW11LHW8IP&coliid=I1WZTM40CJVBZJ

Did a complete interior color change on my dad's work truck with it, and it lasted for many years of rough use. Redid all the panels on one of my 510s with it, and 10+ years later it still looks great. Actually changed my passenger seat in the 1200 from grungy black to nice blue with it too. 

In fact, been thinking about taking my door panels out to recolor them with this stuff too...  

• Like 2