Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

I want that hood so bad... And it already matches my car...   :bye:

I think you are the only person (besides myself and Matt) who ever noticed it in the first place.  It has the carbs and the GX exhaust, so it really should stay with it.  I am asking a premium price for the car, too. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not a bad idea.  I contacted the guy from Alabama, and never heard back from him.  He was hot for it a few years back.

I'm in no rush to do anything with it, and it looks great in my garage B)

if nobody steps up I'm thinking you should do a Monterey auction next year

would fetch even more than you're asking since it attracts bidders around the world

• Like 1

Been kinda stalled on the wagon a bit.  I have the engine harness and rear harness all in, but the dash (specifically the heater) is slowing me down.

heater.jpg

My wagon has the "cold weather" JDM-style heater and unfortunately, it had an aftermarket heater valve haphazardly jury-rigged in.  (It's attached to the hose in the photo) I have a factory drawing on how the valve fits along with the associated piping, but the chances of finding a new heater valve for this are slim to none at best.

We have been scouring catalogs and I'm hitting the junkyards pretty hard looking for a valve from a Toyota that looks pretty close to what we need to make it work.  I know it's a mid-80's Toyota, but not exactly sure which model.  That makes it even more fun.  Once I find one that will work, I'll order a new one and modify it to fit like the factory one.

I'm also having health issues again which is slowing me down.  The Doc has ordered me to back my work schedule down by quite a bit.  I probably won't be able to attend JCCS, but we're working to get this all sorted out.   

Getting old is NOT for pussies :)

• Like 1

Been kinda stalled on the wagon a bit.  I have the engine harness and rear harness all in, but the dash (specifically the heater) is slowing me down.

heater.jpg

My wagon has the "cold weather" JDM-style heater and unfortunately, it had an aftermarket heater valve haphazardly jury-rigged in.  (It's attached to the hose in the photo) I have a factory drawing on how the valve fits along with the associated piping, but the chances of finding a new heater valve for this are slim to none at best.

We have been scouring catalogs and I'm hitting the junkyards pretty hard looking for a valve from a Toyota that looks pretty close to what we need to make it work.  I know it's a mid-80's Toyota, but not exactly sure which model.  That makes it even more fun.  Once I find one that will work, I'll order a new one and modify it to fit like the factory one.

I'm also having health issues again which is slowing me down.  The Doc has ordered me to back my work schedule down by quite a bit.  I probably won't be able to attend JCCS, but we're working to get this all sorted out.   

Getting old is NOT for pussies :)

No luck on ebay? I found heater valves for my 1200, and 620 there.

No luck on ebay? I found heater valves for my 1200, and 620 there.

I bought a NOS 510 heater valve a while back, but it doesn't work with this heater.  In Australia, they only put this heater in the wagons.  The other 510 models got the "std" heater like the US. That pretty much rules out finding one is Australia.  I HAVE been looking, but no luck so far. 

In Australia, they only put this heater in the wagons.  The other 510 models got the "std" heater like the US. That pretty much rules out finding one is Australia.  I HAVE been looking, but no luck so far. 

My wagon has the "cold weather" JDM-style heate

Didn't Canada get this heater also? 

Conversely, why not put the standard heater in it?   ^_^

Didn't Canada get this heater also? 

Conversely, why not put the standard heater in it?   ^_^

Don't know a thing about Canadian models.  Seems like it would be offered there.  I know it gets really cold up there, eh?

I like the optional heater.  It came with the car and I'd like to use it.  I'm just having a difficult time finding a control valve for it, but I will come up with something to make it work.     

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, after spending WAY too much time fucking around with impossible to find heater valves, and whatever other unicorns this car needs, I decided to haul ass and get this thing moving. 

Spent a few hours after the startup sorting out some snafus, but the car's electrical is working properly, and I can move it around (with brakes) under it's own power. (the gas can is because race car)

I'm going to start doing the final body work on the shell and get that painted as soon as I can.  I plan on getting this thing going, then come back and deal with the unicorns after it's going again.

Due to other things beyond my immediate control, I'll probably forgo the fuel door and go with my NOS locking gas cap, filler tube, and rubber filler hose.  The door would be cool, but all the new parts for fuel are pretty nice, too.

I can't make it to JCCS this year, so I'm hoping for some good pics.  This is the only one I have ever missed since it started :(

• Like 3

Well, after spending WAY too much time fucking around with impossible to find heater valves, and whatever other unicorns this car needs, I decided to haul ass and get this thing moving. 

Spent a few hours after the startup sorting out some snafus, but the car's electrical is working properly, and I can move it around (with brakes) under it's own power. (the gas can is because race car)

I'm going to start doing the final body work on the shell and get that painted as soon as I can.  I plan on getting this thing going, then come back and deal with the unicorns after it's going again.

Due to other things beyond my immediate control, I'll probably forgo the fuel door and go with my NOS locking gas cap, filler tube, and rubber filler hose.  The door would be cool, but all the new parts for fuel are pretty nice, too.

I can't make it to JCCS this year, so I'm hoping for some good pics.  This is the only one I have ever missed since it started :(

It sounds really smooth. Congrats!

• Like 1

Thanks!  The motor was very cold, and hadn't been started in about 2.5 years or so.  I adjusted the idle circuit a bit, and it's idling much better now. The L20 in it ran pretty good before I started this, so I'm going to use that motor for a while to sort out the car after it's back together.

It sounds really smooth. Congrats!

• Like 2

Every now and then, I get lucky.  I knew when I built the battery box, I needed some sort of battery cutoff switch.  I went ahead and built and installed the box knowing I could figure something out later.

As totally dumb luck would have it, it turns out I can sink a 4" piece of tubing flush to the floor right next to the battery box.  I have to machine a piece to mount the switch inside the tubing, but it should be some simple lathe work.  (Yes, even I can do this)

Soon to be hella-flush floor recess mounted cut off switch.

cutoff.jpg

Also Burabuda and Datsunfreak came by the shop today.  It was great seeing you guys, and I am really going to miss attending JCCS this year.  Have a great time!

The wagon should be there next year...

• Like 2

Thanks!  The motor was very cold, and hadn't been started in about 2.5 years or so.  I adjusted the idle circuit a bit, and it's idling much better now.

I can attest to the fact that it runs GREAT! Fired right up too.   :thumbup:

Burabuda and Datsunfreak came by the shop today.  It was great seeing you guys

Great to see you too!  :thumbup:

And all the cool toys in the shop...   B)

• Like 2

Made and mounted the circular plate that houses my cutoff switch.  The switch has a locating pin so the plate that has the ON/OFF graphics is in the right place. That's why the tiny hole in it :)

swhouse.jpg

Drilled holes into the side of the housing, and plug welded the circular piece in there. Pretty easy peezy, and it's very heavy duty.

swhouse1.jpg

I'll get it painted and mounted in the car very soon..  In the meantime I started blocking out the shell again.  Ugh, that's what makes it straight, but it's a tedious job.  

I hated missing JCCS, but the goal is being there next year with the wagon.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't mentioned it here much, but for guys that know me, I just returned home from a week of multiple operations. I Just walked in an hour or so ago, and I'm really getting my ass kicked, but wanted to let you know I survived.

More later, I'm happy to be home alive and getting better.   Mark

• Like 6