Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

Probably the same paint, but they make a cleaner, (SEM 39362) then a vinyl prep (SEM 38343) for adhesion, and they sell the dye by the quart or gallon for use in a spray guy.  

I'm sure I could clean, prep, and spray the SEM stuff the way I have been doing it with this, but being an old painter from way back, I usually try to stick with one manufacturer all the way through if I can.  I generally have fewer problems that way. 

BTW, I used this stuff on our mutual friend's center console....

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got my heater valve all sorted.

Original on left replacement on right.  I spent quite a bit of time scanning online catalogs looking for something close to the original.  Finally found this one at NAPA.  Don't know what car it's from, but I do have the part number.  I'm ordering a spare this week just to have it for the future.    

hvalve.jpg

I cut a lot of the original housing off, and fabbed up a new mounting plate per the original. 

hvalve2.jpg

It was a bit of a chore getting the pieces to line up and fit through the firewall holes.  It was a long day of trial and error, and I made a couple of templates off of the inside firewall to get everything to line up. 

hvalve1.jpg

I literally spent all day on this, but the new valve is in place, and the heater (and associated parts) all mount as per the original.  

I banged it up pretty good flipping it around on the bench and checking fit in the car over and over.  I plan on taking it apart and repainting it again before I install it for good.  I also repaired the broken slat on the bottom outlet, so no more toothless look to it.

Thanks for the 510Keeper, I also have a pair of NOS hoses that go from the unit to the defrost tubes in the dash.   :thumbup:  

• Like 2

As discussed, I bought the SEM vinyl paint stuff.  There's a soap, a vinyl prep, and the paint itself.  I was pretty confident the stuff would get good results, and it did.

sem.jpg

I got the rattle can vs the quart can you pour in a spray gun just in case I didn't like it.  The rattle can is more expensive as you can't really control the spray or the pressure, and it took 1/2 can just to do 2 coats each on the rear cargo panels.  The panels did come out nice, I just prefer having a bit more control over what I am spraying. 

The original red panels.  I had a tear in the one piece, so I glued it and used blue tape to hold it while it was drying.

rdpnl.jpg

After paint.  I do plan on having these redone at some point, but this is a cheap quick fix up for old panels.

blkpnl_1.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks John.  There's a total of 7 covered panels (as you know) in a wagon, and until I have something made or come up with something, sprucing up the old panels will do in the meantime.  They're not great, but they look okay. 

I still have bigger fish to fry :)

Nice job Mark. Panels look good.

Wow! My fuel door came in today and this thing is very cool.

fueld1.jpg

They are all steel, and you can choose which side they put the hinge.  I did a right hinge and selected a 45 degree down angle for the filler hose.  I'm sure this will work fine with the wagon.

fueld2.jpg

You can also choose the radius from top to bottom or side-to-side.  They had a downloadable template on the website and the radius matched the template I made of the wagon side perfectly.  I also measured the fuel inlet opening on the tank and it's 2 inches.  The outlet on the fuel door is also 2 inches, so I should have bought a lotto ticket..

fueld.jpg

The opening is kind of small, so the gas nozzle goes through the spring loaded door in the center of the cap.  There's no need to take it off when refueling.   I'm pretty stoked as this seems to be made for the wagon.  I usually have to modify everything to make it fit.

It's is crazy windy right now, but as soon as it calms down, I can clean and paint the insides of this using my airbrush.  

• Like 4

Wow! My fuel door came in today and this thing is very cool.

fueld1.jpg

They are all steel, and you can choose which side they put the hinge.  I did a right hinge and selected a 45 degree down angle for the filler hose.  I'm sure this will work fine with the wagon.

fueld2.jpg

You can also choose the radius from top to bottom or side-to-side.  They had a downloadable template on the website and the radius matched the template I made of the wagon side perfectly.  I also measured the fuel inlet opening on the tank and it's 2 inches.  The outlet on the fuel door is also 2 inches, so I should have bought a lotto ticket..

fueld.jpg

The opening is kind of small, so the gas nozzle goes through the spring loaded door in the center of the cap.  There's no need to take it off when refueling.   I'm pretty stoked as this seems to be made for the wagon.  I usually have to modify everything to make it fit.

It's is crazy windy right now, but as soon as it calms down, I can clean and paint the insides of this using my airbrush.  

If you have to get an emissions test to get the first license plate, that gas cap will not fly, experience speaking.

I imported this car and got it through the DMV here when it was first brought in.  Just to avoid any DMV problems in the future, I have been paying the annual registration fee on it.  It's not terribly expensive, and anything to avoid dealing with the DMV is worth the money :)

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the fuel piping to the tank, vent, and drain line from inside the fuel door box all squared away and started the install today.

I tacked this in with the tig welder, but the quarter panel is so thin, I decided to use the mig to finish it off.  I didn't want to overheat the panel and have it warp, so I chained a LOT of spot welds together into one continuous weld giving it ample time to cool between spot welds.   

fueld1_1.jpg'

Same problem grinding the welds.  Didn't want to overheat and damage the panel, so grind a little then wait for it to cool before repeating.

Welds ground and ready to start filling.

fueld2_1.jpg'

Yep, more lead work.  Didn't get around to filing it down, but I did get it all on there.  Spent all day on this.

fueld3.jpg'

It was a long day at the office.....

• Like 10

Thanks DF.  When I cut the piece out to fit the fuel door, that quarter panel became super flexible.  I was afraid to overheat it, so it took a helluva long time to get the door installed. 

I don't understand why the wagons didn't get a fuel door similar to the sedans. 

That's awesome!  :thumbup: