Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Paint it all ready?. How long have you had your truck? And still no paint.. Come on man....

hey man give me a break, time money you know things I dont have 

I will be there for a few days early next week.  I am doing nothing to the wagon but final sanding.  It *should* be ready to paint by next week.

Before I paint it, I have a few days of buttoning up a few minor things that need to be done.  I am also getting our friend Nelson down because I need to slap a new front cover and water pump on it.  It's leaking coolant, and the front cover and water pump looked iffy when we did the gasket set on it. 

I should be painting it within a month or so.  Maybe sooner.    

Anyway, shit happens, but that's the plan.........fuckers!

• Like 2

ugh...sand, sand, sand, sand, sand.  Then sand some more..

finalroof.jpg

Was hoping to get a bit farther today, but to do it right takes time.  I'm looking for a 1955-1956 Chevy panel truck, and I'm getting one that does not need paint..

• Like 4

Been looking since I sold the Sunny.  They are pretty scarce since I ONLY want a '55-'56 Chevy panel.  The GMC is "supposedly" the same, but the Chevy trimmings are much better.

What's wrong with a 57? It's got the cool hood!

• Like 1

Hood: Good   :thumbup:

Big fish mouth grill: Not so good :huh:

'58 and '59 have dual headlights and the big, ugly grills.. 

That's why they make custom grills. :rofl: There is also the possibility of a swap to an earlier grill?

Those look better than stock, for sure.  The stock '57 grill looks like the opening is bigger, but I may have been wrong on that. 

And I really love the wheels and stance of the bottom truck.  That is badass :thumbup:

That's why they make custom grills. :rofl: There is also the possibility of a swap to an earlier grill?

This truck is for sale.  It's a bit over the top for me to drive around in, but I do love it..

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

fnlsand.jpg

Got the roof, driver's side door jams, rear quarter, and the rear area all final sanded.  I don't really really have enough room in my bay to sand the passenger side, so I continued on finishing up some little items needed to make the car start up and move under it's own power.

I made the battery cables and got my big cutoff switch wired up.  I also had some coolant leaking when I got the motor started a few months ago, so I finally got around to changing the water pump.  We thought there was a stripped thread in the block that holds the front cover on, but I ran a tap into the threads and got a slightly longer bolt, and damn if it didn't tighten right up.  I bought some helicoils thinking I would need one, but I got very lucky there.  :thumbup: 

I removed the bracket that holds the fuel filter in the engine bay.  It was big, stupid, and really ugly.  After a bit of searching, I found a Mr Gasket filter that had threaded ins and outs.

gfilter.jpg  

\

I shortened and added a flared fitting on the stock gas line and put the fuel filter in the wheel well area.  The rubber hose to the right of it goes to into the engine compartment to feed the carb.  I like to use fuel injection clamps on smaller lines and didn't have one, so I will fit and install that hose next time I'm there.

And these showed up today..

htstops.jpg 

Nissan calls these hatch stoppers. I have been buying used ones and hoping I can get enough of them to make two good ones.  The ones on the wagon were crap, and most of the used ones I acquired were in the same shape.  I paid fairly heavy for these NOS items, but seeing what the guys in the shop pay for their Tiger parts, I don't feel so bad..

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the new gas filler and fuel line completely plumbed from the filler neck to the carb.  I also buttoned up the heater hoses to the heater, and finished up the water pump changeout. 

A quick photo of the back side of the fuel door plumbing..

filler1.jpg

I hope that it'll be easier and faster to pump gas into the wagon now.  

I'm going to pressure test the coolant and heater system tomorrow.  If it passes, I'll add some gas, and the wagon will be movable under it's own power.  

I'll put up more pics of everything tomorrow..

• Like 5

Thanks Ray.  Shitload of pics coming..

I wanted to replace most of the rubber fuel lines with steel lines.  So here's the bottom of the filler going into the tank. I used a 90 degree mandrel bent piece of tubing to replace the rubber fill tube.  A 45 degree piece of rubber gas hose is at the top, and a short section at the bottom gets fuel to the tank.  Below is the connection at the tank. 

filler2.jpg

I did retain the long piece of tubing from the tank to the front of the car.  It had a few weird bends in it that I straightened out, but it was in decent shape.  I shortened it at the wheel well area and added an inline fuel filter here.  

ffilter.jpg

You can see where the rubber gas line feeds into the engine compartment.  I was actually going to use the tubing here, but Nelson suggested a small piece of rubber line here for isolation from the engine vibrating and moving.  I thought it was a great idea, and used it.  Thanks Nelson!

Fuel line feeds into engine compartment just above the frame rail and back to tubing into the fuel pump.

flines3.jpg

A large one piece line goes out of the fuel pump around the valve cover.

flines.jpg

Around the back side of the valve cover and does a 90 degree bend for a very short run of rubber hose to the carb.

flines2.jpg

I know it's a bit overkill (especially since I plan on doing an engine swap down the road) but I used to always smell gas when this thing was running, and now I don't. 

I also finished up my batter cables and (over) kill switch all wired up.

battbox.jpg

The car started right up and since it was on jack stands, I decided to test the clutch and got a horrendous shrieking noise when I let it out.  My thoughts immediately turned dark thinking I might have put the clutch back in wrong or something else similar.     

It turned out to be the driveshaft was hitting the long brake line that goes to the rear axle.  There are some clips that hold it tight to the trans tunnel, and mine were missing.  Fortunately, the threaded studs were there, so I dropped the driveshaft and made up some clips and the problem was cured.  It WAS panic central for a few moments there, though..

Anyway, the car starts, stops, and drives now.  We're moving it to a different bay in the shop so I can paint it, but he has to get a few cars out, and move a few around the shop first.  In the meantime, I still have lots of little things to finish up on..

And finally, (seems like a long-ass post from my perspective) I need just one vertical piece of 510 windshield trim.  Mine was liberated from the shop and I have been able to get the other three pieces I need.  I just need one more.  If anyone has one available, I would like to purchase it.  I figured this is my thread, so I can mention this here.  I'm going to put an ad in the classifieds, too.  Here's a photo of what I need.

wtrim.jpg

Thanks!

• Like 1

FYI, that filter with the glass is concidered an unsafe fire hassard by a lot of organizations. NHRA and some car show organizations do not allow them, I had to replace the one I had on my Belair to get into a car show a few years back, and I undestand. Anything hits that glass and you have a major fuel leak, and potential for a fire. Not trying to bust your balls, just trying to save you future problems. :thumbup:

• Like 1

I get it.  I bought it when I didn't have a lot of time to look for different ones.  I've seen them in all metal, but couldn't find one for my application.   I *think* this is high impact plastic and not glass, though.  No balls busted here. B)  

FYI, that filter with the glass is concidered an unsafe fire hassard by a lot of organizations. NHRA and some car show organizations do not allow them, I had to replace the one I had on my Belair to get into a car show a few years back, and I undestand. Anything hits that glass and you have a major fuel leak, and potential for a fire. Not trying to bust your balls, just trying to save you future problems. :thumbup:

Believe it or not, was at the shop today and stuffed behind one of the bins was the windshield piece I was missing.  Smitty and I were digging for a washer or similar, when he pulls the damn thing out from behind there.  There has been similar incidents lately, and I have a good idea who the culprit is.

The Painless wiring harness I had is missing, too...

Still would like to have the hood molding.  I'm going to weld up the small holes in the one I have, (just to save it) but I think the "un-holy" one would be better all around.

Thanks Ray! 

I work that night but we will get together.

• Like 2