Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

Have I mentioned I don't like working on doors?  Here's my arm after taking two doors apart and assembling one.  I'm working on the second rear door and may have to take a break after that one is together..

doorarm.jpg

Ran into this dented handle that was the only rear handle I have for this side of the car.  

denthndl.jpg

I tried removing the few pieces to swap the handle from one side to the other, but no go.  The little post that holds that clip in did NOT want to come out.  There's probably a way to do it, but I didn't want damage anything.

I was going to lead the dent in, but this piece would NOT tin.  Bondo would not stick either.  Strange, because you can see I was down past the copper plating to clean metal.    

dntfixed.jpg

I ended up carefully tapping the dent up from the back side.  When it was pretty close, I put one coat of high build primer on and let it tack up pretty well.  I then took a very small artist paint brush and just dripped some primer into the low spot.    I let it dry overnight, and sure as shit if it didn't sand right out.  

As we say around the shop:  You won't see that in an Eastwood video! :)

The paint bullpen warming up for tomorrow..

partsrdy.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I came very close to buying an orange wagon with that brown interior.  It really looked good with the orange paint.  

The one on the left was the factory color in the first white one i bought. That brown looks good to bad it would be hell and high water to find the seats.

• Like 2

That's a very nice wagon.  I didn't realize they ever put a "Bluebird" fender logo on the wagon.  I imagine it's only on the Deluxe model.  Love the window trims, and I imagine that probably has the hatch garnish as well..  

I was going to put those flag mirrors on my wagon.  BProjects had them listed forever.  When I went to buy them, poof!  Gone.  I know where I can get a good price on NOS bullet mirrors, but I prefer the flag-type for the wagon.

2bd337e837181a11d0886bf1518f2e6e.jpg

I was rummaging through some parts boxes today, and ran across this.  I didn't even know I had thismaplight.jpg..

There's a loose knob in the box, I hope it's the one for it.  I can only assume I took this off when the dash came apart.  That was a *really* long time ago..

• Like 1

I was rummaging through some parts boxes today, and ran across this.  I didn't even know I had thismaplight.jpg..

There's a loose knob in the box, I hope it's the one for it.  I can only assume I took this off when the dash came apart.  That was a *really* long time ago..

Sure you won't need that little light. I can dispose of it for if you like.
  • Like 1

My rear seat in my wagon was originally Brown...

The dividers uprights on the rear doors where stainless on 68/69 wagons. Black on 70+. I sourced a set of 68/69. The 70+ quarter windows gaskets dont fit super well on the 68/69 stainless ones.

• Like 1

My friend offered me some chrome ones, but they might have been polished stainless. He's owned a few early wagons and sedans, so I am assuming that's where they came from.

I have Datsport quarter window rubbers.  One fits nice, the other one has problems.  The bottom where the window sits was not slotted right, and it doesn't seat quite right in the channel.  It looks okay from the outside of the door, but the inside is ropey.  The other one went right on and looks fine. 

The aftermarket rubber is kind of a crap shoot, IMHO.

The 70+ quarter windows gaskets dont fit super well on the 68/69 stainless ones.

The dividers uprights on the rear doors where stainless on 68/69 wagons. Black on 70+. I sourced a set of 68/69. The 70+ quarter windows gaskets dont fit super well on the 68/69 stainless ones.

Thanks for the correction.   :thumbup:

Somewhere in the back of my head I thought the ones on my '68 wagon were stainless, but every other one I'd seen/owned was black. But that '68 was the only pre-'70 wagon I've ever seen here.

Also Mark if you need a extra bluebird grill I have one for you to. Just thank John..hahahahahahahahahaha

I like to do things different, so I plan on refurbishing the stock grill.  Seems everyone has the Bluebird grill these days :)

Good!   :thumbup:

Because... 

True that :thumbup:

I'm also keeping the fender logos on because they seem to be unique to the Aussie 510's.  Everyone seems to try to make their cars look like JDM models.  I'm headed in the other direction with this wagon :huh:

AND no diss intended to the guys that like the JDM grill.  I like them too, but I don't really want one.

• Like 1

I'm also keeping the fender logos on because they seem to be unique to the Aussie 510's.  

They are.  :thumbup:

Everyone seems to try to make their cars look like JDM models.  

We are.  :rofl:

AND no diss intended to the guys that like the JDM grill.  I like them too, but I don't really want one.

My biggest problem with it is that it's for a '73 model. And without the '73 plastic tail lights it just looks wrong to me. And on a Coupe or Wagon it just looks super wrong, as it was never offered on either. 

If you want JDM, at least get the correct JDM stuff.  ^_^

• Like 1