Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

Thanks Joel.  Your wagon is awesome as is! 

I'm still trying to find a newer fuel door to stick on my wagon, and I keep forgetting to look under the rear wheel wells to see what's involved in cutting out that rear hump in there.  I probably want to get these things done BEFORE I paint :)  

I'm also have some problematic rear axle bearing issues with my Sunny right now, so I keep getting distracted :(

My wagon needs this... All this :(

Looking great buddy!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks again Joel.  I knew it was on Ratsun "somewhere".  That looks like a fairly easy mod, but I did have to fab a piece on one of the rear quarters to put back that little fold-over section in the middle of the rear wheel arch.  I might have some drama on that one quarter, but I need to look :)

Supposedly the 80s Subaru gl wagon gas door is perfect. Has the same curve as the 510 and it's a cable actuated door. Haven't confirmed, just heard that on here

I have heard that too.  Just haven't been lucky in the wrecking yards yet. 

I was down in San Diego today trying like mad to get my Sunny rear axle bearings sorted out, and I walked out of there again forgetting to look under the wagon wheel arches..

It was getting late in the afternoon, and leaving earlier than later makes a HUGE difference in traffic..

Fortunately, I finally found the right bearings and collars for my Sunny.  I hope to get the axles back in it tomorrow..

Supposedly the 80s Subaru gl wagon gas door is perfect. Has the same curve as the 510 and it's a cable actuated door. Haven't confirmed, just heard that on here

Pretty sure I said that. In this thread.   :rofl:

That's what I had on my '71 wagon. Worked perfectly. 

Actually, I think it was a PM, and THANKS!  I always appreciate your guys tips and hints.

Most of the bigger self-serve wreckers around here don't have later model cars in them.  There are so many around here that there is probably a Jeep only wrecker, or possibly a 4x4 only yard.  They'd probably want big money to cut up a quarter like that :)

Pretty sure I said that. In this thread.   :rofl:

Got the hood sanded and polished over the last couple of days.

I sought out some professional advice and tried a different buffing compound. HUGE improvement over what I was using.  The photos don't show the detail, but under fluorescent lighting, the finish looks MUCH better.  I plan on re-buffing the doors, hatch, etc, once I get the car assembled.

File this one under the "old dogs - new tricks" column....

hoodpol.jpg 

hoodpol1.jpg

I left the masking on the bottom of the hood to keep the stand from scratching the rails underneath.  The water from the wet sanding caused it to droop a little :)

You and I are on the same page here..

If I find a fuel door, I have a NOS '68 filler neck and a NOS '68 locking gas cap.  I may know a big dude with a wagon that likes NOS parts..

It is very logical. I just didn't want one with a lock on it.   :rofl:

• Like 2

Meguiars #100 Pro 

http://www.detailing.com/store/meguiars-pro-speed-compound-100-m100-32-oz.html

I actually visited their storefront,  and the fellow on the counter did professional detailing at a paint shop, and he recommended this. 

I learned to do this sort of thing when lacquer and enamel were mostly used, so the urethane is new-ish to me.  This color on my wagon is one of those colors where the imperfections really show up. Even though the parts I did looked great outside, you could see fine scratches and some haze under fluorescents.  The Mequiar's stuff makes all that disappear.

What compound did you use?

The Sunny is still down with the rear axles out of it.  I have to get that done prior to any other project(s).

I'm with you in spirit :)  

Mark you need to come to my house and help body work the rough spots in the wagon. Sanding engine bay today.

• Like 1