Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, even if it's not going to be in the show for JCCS, will it be in the parking lot?   B)

No.  Unfortunately not this year.  Pretty sure it will be presentable by JCCS 2016.

And speaking of JCCS...You bringing your 1200?  It looks like it's getting very close to driving.

I saw the wagon in person and it is one of the cleanest wagon out there indeed, very nice work Mark!  :thumbup:

Thanks Derek.  Glad you got to stop by.

No.  Unfortunately not this year.  Pretty sure it will be presentable by JCCS 2016.

And speaking of JCCS...You bringing your 1200?  It looks like it's getting very close to driving.

No, but maybe 2016.   :rofl:

I'm actually giving serious thought to bringing it to the JNC California Touge next spring. I like JCCS, but to bring it that far just to park it on the grass for 8 hours and take it home doesn't sound as fun as thrashing it around on 250 miles of California mountain roads.  B)

Thanks Derek.  Glad you got to stop by.

Speaking of which, I will be in your area soon, sooooo....   ^_^

• Like 1

I get the JCCS reasoning.  It is a great show to attend, car or not. That is a seriously long way to haul or drive a Datsun.

Let me know when you are in the area.  Consider yourself invited to stop by my friend's shop and see the wagon and some other cool cars. 

We might know a few good lunch places, too :)

I'm actually giving serious thought to bringing it to the JNC California Touge next spring. I like JCCS, but to bring it that far just to park it on the grass for 8 hours and take it home doesn't sound as fun as thrashing it around on 250 miles of California mountain roads.  B)

Speaking of which, I will be in your area soon, sooooo....   ^_^

Arrgghhh...

Seems like occasionally I hit a patch where everything goes to shit.  I'm having that with my Sunny, and my wagon at the same time. 

I'm really struggling with the front doors on the wagon.  The little plastic connectors that hold the control rods onto things like the key lock, the door handle, etc, etc, all pretty much crumbled and went to shit when I took them apart.  A lot of time was spent hitting the hardware store, fastener specialty houses, and such to source e-clips, special spacers and other things to replace the rotted plastic ones.  I finally got one door together, but the lock assembly doesn't seem to want to work.  The lock works fine, but when I hook up the control rods, it feels like the linkage is binding somewhere.  Very frustrating.

I finally get the thing working semi-half-assed and I flip the door over and see that the door handle scratched the shit out of the paint in that area.  I was very careful, but it got a big chunk out of the paint.  It's too deep to fix or touchup, so I have to repaint the door skin.  fuck..

drredo.jpg

The door sanded to 400 grit, and ready for a respray.  The front of the door had a spot I didn't like, so I sanded that down quite a bit and that will be better than it was.  Still a bit frustrating though..

I had to pull the axle out of the Sunny again.

axle.jpg

Before I got the diff rebuilt, I tried changing the axle bearing since it seemed the noise was on the right side.  It was a complete comedy of errors, and I had to pull the new bearing a few times because we kept putting parts back on wrong.  The bearing pulls off rather easily (vs the bearing collar) so we figured it might be okay.  

I suspected that I should replace the bearing, (after pulling it a few times) but my friend convinced me it would be okay.  It's making noise on the right side and everything is new, so I strongly suspect that pulling the bearing damaged it slightly.  So here we go once more with feeling...

The bright side is I really know how to put rear brake shoes correctly on a 1200.  The same set of shoes apparently fits a LOT of other cars, and it's very easy to get them wrong on a 1200.  I really have it down now..

The irony is I can't paint the door until fix the Sunny.  It's in my garage/paint booth :poop:

The other bright side is my wife's family is having a HUGE birthday bash for her tomorrow.  I can get away from the car stuff for a day and have some fun with the wife and family.  :thumbup:

• Like 4

I finally get the thing working semi-half-assed and I flip the door over and see that the door handle scratched the shit out of the paint in that area...  fuck..

Doubt it helps now, but I always put masking tape on the door under the handle while installing them. Then when I'm done I just lift the handle and peel it up. 

• Like 3

Good tip.  I've done similar with other parts.  I just FUBAR'd this one.. 

Doubt it helps now, but I always put masking tape on the door under the handle while installing them. Then when I'm done I just lift the handle and peel it up. 

• Like 1

Finally had a good couple of days.  The wife's birthday party was epic.  :thumbup:   Her family has a bunch of maniacs (in a really good way) and they threw quite a bash.  We had a great time.

Took the Sunny axle to San Diego today and got the bearing changed out.  Here's our Rube Goldburg homemade bearing puller.  Two pieces of 5/8" NF all thread, a couple of nuts, a piece of plate steel, and Bob's yer uncle..  You can't see it from this angle, but the bearing collar was CAREFULLY ground down until it would spin on the axle.  Once loose, the bearing and collar come off together. 

I'm going to need my peanut butter jar brake bleeder again when I reinstall the axle tomorrow  :w00t:

puller.jpg   

I've done this so many times lately, I've become an expert at it.

I also took a door down with me for a test fit.  This went on really nicely and I will test fit all the doors prior to painting the shell.

rrdoor.jpg

I took these photos then realized the door was just a tiny bit higher at the body line.  It adjusted right out, but I didn't take new photos.

doorgap.jpg

I didn't really want to pull it back off the car, but I need to spray the door jams again when I paint the shell.

We're calling this one close enough until final assembly   :thumbup:

• Like 4

Crappy video camera, but it's all I had.  Thanks.

Oh, and if somebody has something outrageous and wants to trade, I'm flexible.  But last car I sold, people were asking to trade me an old Honda Accord, Chrysler minivan, etc, etc...

I was wondering if you were interested in a trade. Lol

The sun kind of kills the video quality. But any way very well done.

• Like 1

I am so happy. For months I haven't been able to see pictures on this thread, probably because of some quirk on my computer. I recently acquired an Android pad and now I can see the pictures! I spent several hours re-reading the entire thread. What an awesome job. I hope that beautiful Sunny finds a good home. You can only have so many projects at one time.

• Like 1

Here is outrageous. Trade me hoods.  

I actually picked up a very straight "normal" 1200 hood a few years back.  I have matching white paint, and was thinking if I ever sold the car...  Anyway, I ended up knocking it over and putting a nasty dent in it.  I ended up fixing it and giving it to someone that needed it.

So much for my evil profiteering.

I am so happy. For months I haven't been able to see pictures on this thread, probably because of some quirk on my computer. I recently acquired an Android pad and now I can see the pictures! I spent several hours re-reading the entire thread. What an awesome job. I hope that beautiful Sunny finds a good home. You can only have so many projects at one time.

Thanks for the kind words KT.  I'm glad you can finally see the photos.  The Sunny hasn't been too much of a project.  My goal was to try to keep it in decent shape and still enjoy driving it.  I have done that (pretty much) and it's time to pass it on to someone to have fun with.

I didn't want this much of a project with the wagon, but that's how these things turn out sometimes :)

• Like 1