Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally finished up painting the insides of the wagon.  I went all the way to San Diego and realized I left my respirator at home.  I setup a fan to move the fumes away, and I would hold my breath while making passes over the different areas.  I'd then dash outside the car upwind of the fumes to breathe again.

I do not recommend you try this at home kids...

Not the best photo, but it looks good on the car, IMHO.

rearins.jpg

• Like 2

There's Lizardskin on the floors, and I'm leaving it the std LS color.  There is some overspray on it, but no big deal.  I did mask off around the sills to try to minimize overspray, though.   

Painting the floors also?

Thanks John.  I keep slogging away at it..

The Sunny is being a pain in the ass right now.  The rear end has developed an annoying whine, and it wasn't the axle bearings.  I'm combing the usual places looking for a complete rear axle for a 1200 sedan.  I can either rebuild the spare then swap it in, or use it as a template to have a Ford or Mazda rear axle cut down to fit.  It's not life or death, but just another annoying detour on the wagon project. 

Ironically, I found one in a wrecking yard today, but like the B110, I'm pretty sure the fastback and the sedan have different mounts.  I found a fastback, of course.

A B210 rear axle is a nice "upgrade", and is essentially a bolt-in? 

I slapped the axles back in the Sunny the other day, and I realized that everyone in my neighborhood (including my wife) was either traveling or on vacation.  I needed to bleed the brakes, so I whipped this up for a total of about $0.99

I've used chunky and smooth.  I recommend going with smooth for better pedal pressure.

My Ratsun 1-man brake bleeder:

ratsun.jpg

Worked great, btw..

• Like 4

It rained so hard in San Diego yesterday, that my friend's shop got flooded out.  No damage, but there was a couple of inches of standing water inside the building.  It came in from under the roll up door on the street.

We went to lunch and came back to this:

flood.jpg

When you have pouring rain combined with bad grading and drainage, this is what happens :)

Once the storm drain more-or-less cleared itself, but we spent the afternoon with squeeges and brooms getting the water out.  Shit happens... 

• Like 2

I delayed it by two days by pulling a BIG cleanup and re-org on my garage, but I FINALLY started assembling the damn doors.   I put it off as long as I could, but I ran out of excuses :)

drrubr.jpg

Doing this solo is a bit of a challenge, but the rubbers went on fine.  Two rear doors are done, front doors next.

I don't think the wagon will make JCCS this year, either :)

• Like 3

Thanks Nelson! 

I bought a pint of this color to paint some interior trim on my old '55 Caddie.  I was rummaging through my paint shed just seeing what I had, and I came across the pint can from 15 years ago.  I showed it to my wife, and she asked me to paint a sample of it.  I painted the strip that goes between the body and rear bumper and showed it to her.  I liked it, but my wife LOVED it.  'nuff said right there.

mark I cant wait to see you goon finished the color is just sick

• Like 2

Got the last weatherstrip on today and turned to putting the doors together.  The chrome on all my door handles suck, so I decided to paint one to match.

The handle on the left was wire brushed quite thoroughly, then I sanded it with 150 grit.  Took a photo next to a freshly polished "old chrome" handle for comparison.

dhandl.jpg

I hit it with metal prep, then Bulldog adhesion promoter, then I used self-etch primer.  I'll paint it tomorrow..

dhandl1.jpg

I saw a goon at Eagle Rock about 6 months ago that had painted handles to match the body, and thought it looked really good.  I'll put a photo up when it's painted.

• Like 2