Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

Yesterday was a biggie for me..

It was my last day at work :thumbup:  I am officially retired!

I started my new fulltime job today as "Datsun restorer" and "Honey-doo operator".  It's very surreal at this point.  It really hasn't sunken in yet.

huud.jpg

The hood is going to need to be blocked a few times, but it's nice to be able to do this on my own time schedule. 

• Like 6
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!! Retired....

That's great Mark.. I'm just a little jelly. But I can't see myself retired. Don't know what I would do with myself. But I don't have a regular job so it's all good.

• Like 1

James,

Anytime Bro.  I may need some odds and ends when I start final assembly on the wagon, so I anticipate a trip to Margaritaville in the near future.  I can come up and bring my kit.  Hell, if I can do it, anyone can.      

Now ur retired, u can teach me lead work. I got this 2 door wagon i'm working things out with.
it would be nice to learn something from a perfectionist

And thanks for all the kind words and the likes.  One reason I sold the '55 Cadillac was because all the Cadillac people were assholes and thumbed their noses at me and my "lowly" 55 Coupe.  You Datsun guys are like family, and I appreciate all you guys friendship.

Thank you all :thumbup:  :hyper:      

• Like 2

Thanks Nelson.  You're the best.  I think I still owe you, and one of these days we'll get back on that little color sanding project..

congrats mark  :thumbup:   :thumbup:  try to keep the Honey-doo operator down to a minimum and the Datsun restorer at a steady pace let me know if you need any more help just remember i can only work on weekends i am not retired yet LOL

• Like 1

Working on it.  Really working on it :)

Congrats on the retirement......now get that goon done and bring 'er to Williams.  I wanna see it :thumbup:.

The outside of the hood is mostly done.  

hoodout.jpg

Working on the inside today.  Got a lot done, then ran out of steam.

hoodins.jpg

Happy Father's Day.. 

• Like 3

I did a Datsun A14 / 5 speed swap and got it running and stopping, then someone made me an offer on it I couldn't refuse.  It didn't break my heart because I didn't really fit into it.  The Morris Vans are great looking, but *really* small..  

Duncan, what happened to that neat little Morris Minor you were working on?

Been busy.  Stripped and primered the hood, (after fixing a few dents to the inner bracing) then shot the inner hood skin with Lizard Skin.

hoodliz.jpg

I was going to mask the Lizard Skin coating and just paint the bracing, then decided to go all one color.  It sort of looks like the factory coating, but with better insulation properties.  Hopefully, the painted Lizard Skin holds up over time.

hoodpnt.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks.  I just went out to put it away after drying, and I dragged it out into the sun to take a look in good light.  The color really pops in the sun, but it's hard to get it looking right with any of the three cameras I have.  Took a photo, anyway..

hoodsun.jpg

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got the hood blocked out and final sanded.  The hood was similar to the roof in that it was not damaged or dented, it just had waves and low spots in it.  Even though it was mostly undamaged, it took a LOT of work to get it straight.

hdguide.jpg

I hope to get this painted and polished in the next few days. 

I've been putting it off, but I guess it's time to start getting the doors together :(   I really don't like working on doors...

• Like 1

t5H7Bb.jpg

Getting close to getting this done for JCCS, so I feel your pain. Block sanding is a royal pain, but necessary for a nice straight paint job. Keep up the good work.

Nice work.  I will be spectating only this year, but I want to see your car.  I hope you can get it put together for the show.