Duncan's 71 "Oz" Goon

Duncan

Thank you all for the kind words and mojo.  I do feel like I have been handed a second chance, and plan on doing the best I can with it.  Right now, I look and feel like I was unarmed against a school of knife fighters, but I will get better soon enough.

Oddly enough, I want to get back on the OZ Goon as soon as I am able. :thumbup:

And I'd just like to thank my wife puiblicly.  She was (and still is) the best thing to every happen to me. 

• Like 12
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, just took a deposit on my Sunny.  Gonna be strange not seeing it in the garage.

And thanks again for all the well wishes.  I just might be well enough to trek down to San Diego next weekend to do some "easy" work on the goon! (fingers crossed)

• Like 2

Thanks Fucker!  Doing some work on the goon in San Diego may be a bit optimistic on my part, but I'm going to shoot for it anyway..

I'm looking around for a new toy to replace the Sunny, too :thumbup:  No rush on that, though.

Hey Fucker!!!!!!!!!! Good to see you back on track..

• Like 3

Well, I did make it down to San Diego today and picked up right where I left off.  (But at a more relaxed pace!)

Got my battery cutoff switch painted and nearly ready to mount.  The little slot in it is to get an allen wrench into it if I ever need to pull it out of the car.

switch.jpg

I cut a 4" hole in the floor and fitted this in.  It has to be raised slightly above the floor to make the switch removable from the housing.  We were out of sheilding gas, but this will be tacked in and wired up very soon.

swmount.jpg

I also got some block sanding and other prep done on the shell.  The shell is getting pretty close to paint.

It felt really great to get out of the house and get back to doing a bit on the wagon again.  My surgery was one month ago today, so I think I'm doing pretty well considering all that has happened this month :thumbup:

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, after struggling for months on these damn doors, they are all "mostly" together and working right.  I had Taiwan locks, broken, worn out regulators. and just a shitload of other problems to deal with.  Glad to say these are mostly in the done column,

pparts.jpg

Not much to look at, but my office here at my house is overrun with painted parts.  I keep 'em in the house because stuff gets damaged, scratched, or oversprayed in my garage.  My wife is incredibly cool.  My hatch is in the living room :)

I looked at my pile of belt moldings and took the 4 best ones, and started polishing them up.

polished vs non-polished: (tough to photograph with a phone)

moulds1.jpg

All 4 done:

moulds.jpg

These photos don't do the parts justice, but the molding looks really good, IMHO.

I do this with a very cheap Harbor Freight buffer and a few buffing wheels.  They have paid for themselves many, many times over. 

• Like 4

Thanks Dan. I'm still not 100% from my surgery, and have to take it a bit easier these days.  I'm headed to San Diego for the next two days trying to get the final prep done on the shell before paint.  I'm hoping to have the shell painted by year's end.  At least, that's the plan today..

Nice work. Enjoyable therapy for sure

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Car looks the same, but more primer and more block sanding done.  Maybe one or two more work days at the shop, and we're calling it good.  All that will be left is final sanding and paint.

Getting tired of block sanding at this point in time :)  The car is looking really straight, though.. (IMHO of course)

wagblock_1.jpg

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Been a while for any updates, but this part is mostly boring to look at as it is to do the work :)

Roof, quarter panels, rear hatch area, and cowl all blocked out, primered and ready for final sand. 

paintbod.jpg

I'm in San Diego today and did the final blocking out of the rockers.  If I kept a total amount of time I spent on the rockers alone, I would probably sell the car and never do this kind of work again..

paintbod1.jpg

And finally, they are primered and guide coated ready for final sand and paint. 

paintbod2.jpg

I would declare the shell bodywork done, but I discovered a small (but fixable) dent in the left side taillight area.  I assumed someone was moving something and banged it when the car was out back.  That side was on the aisle.   Not too big a deal, bit I wish someone would have said something to me when it happened.  At least I found it now instead of finding it just as I'm washing the car for paint.

I need to follow the 510 Keeper's lead and find me an apprentice that wants to learn to final sand and paint :) 

Happy Holidays to everyone!!

• Like 4

Still haven't yet given up on finding a newer fuel door for the wagon. I made a quick and dirty gauge to take with me to the junkyards.  It's faster and easier than eyeballing and measuring possible donors.  It's also curved to match the wagon's body radius.

gonogo.jpg 

Been meaning to do this for a while, but didn't get around to it until today.

gonogo1.jpg

As part of my surgery rehab, I am supposed to take daily walks.  I'll be doing that at the junk yards looking for a suitable donor.

• Like 1

Scored these today after quite a lengthy search.  Finally found a manually controlled, non-heated pair in really nice shape.

My neighbor with the Pantera also has a very nice '71 BMW 2002, and now he wants a pair for his BMW, too..

seats.jpg

For reference what did they come out of?

Looks like E46 or some BMW ... curious to see how they fit

Exactly that.  BMW 3 Series.  I *think* the years for these are appx '99 thru '07 but I wouldn't swear to it.

The front seat rail/mount has to come out because they sit up pretty high.  I'm going to fab up a new front mounting out of 2" or 3" square tubing.  I already have a good idea how I'm going to do it.  I'll take some photos along the way.