How old were you the first time........

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1976 Ford Courier in 1995, got my license at 15 in Idaho (learner's permit, can't drive at night) had many instances of tickets, almost ditching the truck in a duck pond, jumping whatever obstacle was there at the time, and coming home every night after school balls to the wall around my country dirt roads. Had a blast, and more than one close call. Good times.

And for my first 6 months of driving, I SUCKED, just like all beginning drivers do. Not for speed, but for common sense.

1997, i was sixteen.

took the test (the first time) in my grandmas 90 camry. my dad, grandma and aunt all went in with me(i dont remember why) my loudmouth aunt was giving me "pointers" the whole way in.

i failed miserably, i was so nervous and stressed from hearing my obnoxious aunt rattle her mouth.

went back a week later with my mom, passed with flying colors. was driving her 96 chevy extended cab silverado with a 6" lift and 35" tires :mellow:

instructor was pretty impressed when i paralell parked that truck ;)

Back in 1996 when I was 18, borrowed my crazy russian step-mothers new KIA Sephia. Took it in Lodi Calif and barely passed the test because the instructor didn't like the way I did the three-point turn. I had been driving on the learner's permit for a year by that time and was pretty comfortable, was driving my '72 1200 sedan at that time.

Gladstone, OR

1971 Cadillac CoupeDeVille 472

It was about 102* out that day.

Tester came out. Did the preliminary turn signal check.

We turned out of the driveway, and headed for I-205...

This lady had here head out the window the entire drive.

Went about 10 miles South to West Linn/10th St. Exit, got back on the freeway North bound; and repeat.

No parking. No gimmicks.

Just a straight cool down session.

Age: ASAP! 1987, Sandy Oregon, '73 Corolla. I was waiting in the car, doing I don't know what, but I accidentally honked the horn. Bad manners. (I don't like to talk about this but who cares) I did shitty on the test and got an F. Which is ironic because I'm the world's awesomest driver.

Got learners permit in 1984 in my drivers ed class in High School, but I did not get my license until 1987. I could not afford insurance and thus did not get my license, but I still drove the crap out of the family Wagon! I was 18. I took the test at the DMV in San Ysidro, CA. in my friends Dodge Omni. I was almost not allowed as the cars brake lights had stopped working!! I quickly diagnosed the problem as a bad fuse, ran to the 7-Eleven across the street and got some fuses and fixed it! Passed with flying colors! It was a new DMV at the time and there was hardly anyone there. This was before the unwashed hordes took over!

Since then, no one has learned how to drive!! :lol:

On my 16th birthday in 1980. Took it in a 1973 Dodge Maxi Van. Passed it on my first try at 98%. Got dinged pulling out of the parking lot for not stopping short of the side walk. As soon as I parallel parked that van though, the DMV guy stopped the test and gave me my license. Had a great driver's ed instructor. Some guy from Sweden who insisted that we do some drifting in a snowy parking lot to get the feel of the car in a slide. Good thing to know as I would chain up that van, load it full of kids and drive it up to White Pass to go skiing. Never had a problem. I picked up my first Datsun in 1983. It is a 67.5 1600 that came into Evergreen Datsun on a trade for a 200sx. Still got it and should be back on the road sometime this spring with any luck, although not quite stock. :devil:

1987 Phoenix, Az When I was 17 In my 2dr Datsun 510 I bought for $750

So I got my license in Arizona but in October 1986 my family moved from Eugene, Oregon to Phoenix. I got my permit a year earlier but didn't do much driving. My dad had a full size Chevy truck, power steering, brakes which I drove only a few times. Drove a beater Pinto wagon one day out at the lake with my sisters boyfriend ( They just wanted me to get leave them alone ...lol ) So my dad takes me down to do the test in his truck...I don't think I had insurance yet and he was to cheap to add me on his. (so kids when your dad puts you on his insurance, consider yourself lucky)

And if it wasn't for my grandma giving me the extra $250 I might not have got that 1st 510 (Grandma's are so awesome!) Anyway I failed the driving test in my dads truck and we were moving in a few weeks. So with all the shit going on before the move packing up and shit, I never got back down for the test. So I ended up driving all the way through Cali to Phoenix with no license....510 packed up crazy full.

Got my license in Jan or Feb of 87..:P After I got me a job and Insurance.

1972 I was 16, passed both with flying colors in a 1957 ford Ranchero. I still have my original drivers licence, Just don't have the 57 anymore. My dad sold it cause I got too many tickets. Thing had a huge motor and was very fast.

Fuck I feel old. Most of you guys don't even know how to drive yet. :lol:

1972 as well, at 14. Back then in Idaho you could get it at 14 if your birthday fell at the right time of year for the high school driver's ed program. They had a 70 Chevy 4 door that a local dealer donated for the advertising, if I recall correctly the course counted as the written and driving tests because I don't remember any additional stuff at the sheriff's office other than paying and getting the license. There was no dmv back then, at least in Bonners Ferry; city and county cops shared office space and would flick you shit about why did you want a license in the first place, isn't a bicycle good enough anymore?, etc. I think that it might have been restricted to daylight only until 16, but that was a lot of years ago.