Farmer Joe

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

getting one step closer..

i bought a welder... thing is, its 220v and it only have 120v in the garage at my current house.

on a side note to that, my new house that my wife and i are having built, WILL have a nice 220 outlet in the garage..

yes, on top of buying a welder, i bought a lot and am havin a home built. it going to be a 3br 2bath, 2 car garage, and whatnot.. they aim for it to be done in august..

so thats a plus.. a permanent datto home!

heres a shot of the lot... its 2 lots that are empty right now, but its the one on the right...

photo.jpg

im still getting the truck ready for canBy, so dont fret...

more to come..

Sweet! You're buying a garage with a house attached to it. You and your wife can both be happy. Congrats!

We need an "after picture" in the same spot after the house is built and to see how the truck has progressed.

fresh updates..

got the majority of the extra "stuff" out of the way on the frontend.

oic..

IMG_20120508_110644.jpg

IMG_20120508_121318.jpg

next is the shock towers.

i have welder now, so that should be no problem... with the clearance now, this is how its going to stay till for the trip to canby..

i wanna put a 4 link in it...

took it around a bit on tuesday...

did figure out i had to angle the clutch master cylinder up a bit... put a few washers under the bottom mounting tab, and this raised it up enough not to get bashed by the tire..

im going to either heat the firewall and put a bend in or cut it and weld in a strip of metal as to create the angle to get rid of the hokey washers... or maybe a full spacer front some composite or somethin...

but the drive to work yesterday had no issues...

did start getting a miss later on the way home.. stopped by my dads and swapped out a set of points that were laying around in the bed.. works great..

more to come..

• 3 weeks later...

AAAAAAHH! a real update!

i actually did something substantial to the truck! :lol:

i raised the shock towers!

not much to explain, but i do have some pics of what was done...

i admit it looks like shit, but i could care less.. the ride quality has been restored... it still does bottom out on really hard hits, but these gas shocks are kickin ass!

first step... cut shit..

IMG_20120531_115158.jpg

figure out where shit goes...

IMG_20120531_123517.jpg

IMG_20120531_131549.jpg

IMG_20120531_123531.jpg

weld that shit up!

IMG_20120531_131526.jpg

and this is what you get... not as fancy as steve, but yet effective! :lol:

IMG_20120531_160215.jpg

IMG_20120531_160203.jpg

and thats how you do it...

oh yeah, i tightened up the steering box a wee bit too! no more lane changes without notice...

more to come..

Looks good.

I was super stoked to get my ride quality back. I was suprised at the lack of suspension travel I still have though. 1/2" to the bumpstop and my sway bar and tension rods are pretty close to each other. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

aaaaannnnd were back..

not much goin on... havnt really done anything to it since canby..

the charging system fucked up, and resulted in a new regulator and alternator. the one i picked up as my replacement wasnt for this truck apparently. in troubleshooting the charging system, i ended up getting some nice wire smoke.. ill have to get another jar of that shit. always loosing the smoke from my wires... :lol:

anyways, in that, i managed to fry my fuel pump, and possibly my deck..

so i have a fuel pump and alternator en route to myself..

hopefully i can get the pile of shit to keep itself running.. i wanna take it for a run to twin falls and back later this summer...

more to come...

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you got those towers done Niel.

Have you considered switching over to a internally regulated alternator ?

i have through about the IR alt, but i never have the extra cash to dump on one... theyre more spendy than the standard ones..

i did get it fixed tho.. the last NAPA alternator was a pile of shit and was bad from the store.

the new regulator works pretty good too.. im curious to see if the other solid state i took off is still good..

the vapor locking issue is fixed im pretty sure too.. the fuel pump never looses prime now. its nice not having to worry about driving in the heat..

• 5 weeks later...

and were back!

had some updates that needed to be accounted for.

has to re-do the igntion switch. i shorted out the power to the fuel pump, and it fried the switch. i replaced it with an old 60s battery charger selection switch.

it has like 7 contacts on the back with one being the main power.. i dont have ACC anymore, but who cares...

also, i had to install a pushbutton start since the bak-o-lite switch doesnt have the same function as the stocker.

i quite like this setup now.

oics...

this is the whole get up right here..

IMG_20120824_153850.jpg

i put a fuzzy on the pushbutton to confuse people. this is the OFF postion too.

IMG_20120824_154014.jpg

this is on..

IMG_20120824_154027.jpg

it works really well, and i dont think this old asbestos switch will go bad anytime soon..

and then heres the good part..

i got my Z24 from wide14u at the house here now..

this one has a slight knock of some sort, and that was the reason for his KA swap..

i pulled the pan, and pulled #1 rod cap..

this is what i find...

IMG_20120830_163030.jpg

IMG_20120830_163049.jpg

theres some bearing material in the oiling hole..

IMG_20120830_163120.jpg

and theres more material on the top bearing too. you can barely see it in the pic, but its there..

IMG_20120830_163146.jpg

i think itll be okay with a new set of bearings... i really need to get the engine torn down at finding this..

more to come..

yeah, dad through of it when we found the stock one was toast.

we were diggin through the shop, and he had this old selenium battery charger. this is the L-ML-M-MH-H setting switch from it... it has really good silver contacts, and its bak-o-lite insulated too.

• 2 weeks later...

okay, more stuff..

got parts for the Z engine. have a new set of rod bearings. also some other assorted gaskets.

im going to have to work out either getting a Z series exhaust manifold from the junkyard, or take the airtool grinder to the KA manifold i have..

i still need bolts to attach the block to the stand.. being lazy... i should be able to pull the engine apart enough to get the bearing junk outta the oiling system.

i really dont wanna pull the pistons, but i guess its a good excuse to find a good ring compressor..

im not sure if i wanna just put the engine together next week and get it done, or wait till im in the new house..

well see...

on another note, i fixed my shifter bushing issue.

got the little box of 'help' brand all make door bushings.. cut a slice in em, and pressed em into the shifter itself. filed them down a bit and bam, no more slop.

also, trimmed the shifter console, and flipped the 240z shifter around the way it should be.. its different, but i like it alot better this way..

its using alot more oil now since the canby trip. this l20 is hopefully gonna go in somethin else.. looking for a 411...

oh yeah, stephen, i know you must have this subscribed, since you and mark are the only ones that reply... can you move this to the project datto forum?

more to come..

got a little done today..

engine is on the stand, and i had the chance to pull the rod caps.

i find the babbit is almost worn off all the bearings.. im not sure what happened. the crank looks in good shape.

gonna get the new rod bearings in it, and get it sealed up again.

heres some pics of the Zed engine...

IMG_20120918_171559_zpsf4359052.jpg

IMG_20120918_171610_zpsaaade5da.jpg

IMG_20120918_172456_zpsf1deee56.jpg

IMG_20120918_174733_zps5549cf54.jpg

its really clean.. the guy that built jasons truck said it was rebuilt before they put it in. looks like it. kind of a bummer about the bearings..

heres the KA exhaust manifold. it isnt going to work.

hits the block...

IMG_20120918_171510_zpsde4d1b9b.jpg

IMG_20120918_171546_zps2f2551fb.jpg

and i found it has a crack.. dont get why i didnt notice that..

IMG_20120918_171520_zpsf2a973a1.jpg

so now im on the hunt for a Z series exhaust manifold and like a foot of the head pipe..

so i have to make a choice of whether or not to do the swap before the new house is done, or wait til after.

they said were supposed to close on the new towards the end of october.. i think i should have enough time.

id just have to figure out the exhaust at my dads place, since hes got the 220 outlet for now.

also, im still torn between doing a bellhousing swap on the 5 speed, or just leaning it over..

more to come.