My 77 KC 620

Farmer Joe

first day worked out good.

i obviously got better mileage.. used a 1/3 of what a normally do... it is awesome..

speedo isnt working... i need a new cable from the way it was kinda falling apart when i tried to see what was up the first time i noticed. who doesnt have a smartphone these days tho.. speedo in the phone. lol...

without all the drag in the transmission, the truck has a whole new feeling.. doesnt run like shit anymore... exhaust is quiet and 95% leak free.. it actually really nice to have a quiet truck..

i greased the frontend too.. like having power steering..

so for now, its looking real good.

next project will be raising the shock towers for some heavier duty shocks... also going to put a non clutch fan waterpump, pully and fan on here soon...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

mkay...

happy labor day..

i labored on the kingcab today. got the valves adjusted for the first time since ive owned it... probably gonna be something i do every 6 months. they were very slacked up.. couple of them had more gap than .025! crazy...

set em to .010 on the exhaust and .008 on the intakes... prolly gonna get some flack from someone.. i dont remember what the specs are supposed to be at... so that sounded like an okay place..

in any case now, its super quiet. no more tickity tick..

its kinda funny to think my old worn out L20 pulled on chester's with the big cam and the closed chamber head... even with the old tranny too..

wide, you better get your KA done... im coming for ya.. lol

on another note tho, i did find something a bit alarming..

some of the cam lobe on #3 intake was gone...

heres a couple pics..

IMG_20110905_162423.jpg

IMG_20110905_162458.jpg

the current rocker arm is in perfect shape.. looks like in a previous life, this cam had a rocker fall off the valve and it kept running.. had to of... theres a pretty big portion of the cam missing, and it just borders where the lashpad rides now.

im gonna open it up in a month week or so, and see if anything has gotten worse. schmeh...

edit: oh yeah.. i found cam tower spacers on this head. looks like 3 .005 spacers stacked. the head doesnt look to be shaved either... the whole rectangle for the U67 is present... soooo, i dunno what this is about..

also cleaned out my air filter element.. shit was dirty. might be able to get the same mileage as the subie now..

more to come..

well the adjusted valves helped a lot on the truck milage.

didn't use near as much fuel as before... it has a different feel tho.. but it still screams on the freeway.

without all the rocker noise, now i can head all the other shit going on.. i need to fix the exhaust leak now..

more to come...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i was thinkin the same thing..

im at this line where if i cut more to make it lower static wise, i could just bag it with a couple hours more of work..

i still dig drivin it as it is, and its coming down to where i might not even bag it anymore.. im still trying to build that LZ24 now..

so well see.. its a toss up.

• 1 month later...

i ordered some upper kingpin bushings and a set of points for it from rock auto.. hopin it shows up soon.

im gonna get the shock towers raised here sometime too..

im gonna be going through all the fluids on it also. the tranny needs fluid im sure and ive never gotten into the rearend.. its in need of an oil change too.

more to come...

• 4 weeks later...

funny thing... those new points ended up being bad right out of the box...

in any case i went a got some good pictures today...

IMG_20120322_160114-Hagrid.jpg

IMG_20120322_160151-Hagrid.jpg

IMG_20120322_155425-Hagrid.jpg

IMG_20120322_155102-Hagrid.jpg

they were taken with my phone and then i used an editing app to make em look like they do...

schmeh..

mkay...

well have greasy hands and the truck is as low as i can go static.. its been a long time coming to this..

not much lower now, but id guess its about another 2in drop for the front...

the back is the same still.. i should have tossed the old 5 speed or somethin in the bed..

pic..

IMG_20120327_121743.jpg

now its really time to actually get cutting and get the shock towers raised... do work!

well what better place to put a pre canby checklist of shit to do?

gonna make the trek in this with wide14u and myself to go hangout for the best weekend of my life! lol

the truck would make it right now if it had charge in the battery.. but theres some shit id like to have done before that long trip..

list is as follows:

upper kingpin bushings on the driver side

brake shoes

brake bleed

adjust brakes

trans fluid change

oil change and filter.

douche the carb

trimming the frame for the LCA to come up a lil more

raising the shock towers

getting the new shocks mounted

check valve lash

new fuel filters

rebuild exhaust head pipe

goop some exhaust sealer on the hole in my exhaust manifold

theres prolly more, but ill think of it as it comes...

im mainly saving for regs for canby and a small welder to get the little shit on the truck done.. there should be some progress here soon, as canby gets closer..

more to come..

well what better place to put a pre canby checklist of shit to do?

gonna make the trek in this with wide14u and myself to go hangout for the best weekend of my life! lol

the truck would make it right now if it had charge in the battery.. but theres some shit id like to have done before that long trip..

list is as follows:

upper kingpin bushings on the driver side

brake shoes

brake bleed

adjust brakes

trans fluid change

oil change and filter.

douche the carb

trimming the frame for the LCA to come up a lil more

raising the shock towers

getting the new shocks mounted

check valve lash

new fuel filters

rebuild exhaust head pipe

goop some exhaust sealer on the hole in my exhaust manifold

theres prolly more, but ill think of it as it comes...

im mainly saving for regs for canby and a small welder to get the little shit on the truck done.. there should be some progress here soon, as canby gets closer..

more to come..

Shit Neil, you could do all of that at canbY :rofl: