My 77 KC 620

Farmer Joe

okay, finally got the truck to driving status..

may i say it really moves out.. 55mph comes really fast now.

i got some video of it running that uploading, but my internet is slow, and im gonna head to bed.

heres a few pics of the exhaust downpipe.. it scrapes the ground every once and a while with 2 people in the truck..

IMG_20121108_205103.jpg

IMG_20121108_194038.jpg

be back later...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so i got jason back home.

i wanna thank him and nano for helping with the swap.

we found the oil pan has a small crack in it where it was rubbing the engine crossmember at one point and time.

since i got the welder working, ill have to get it tacked up here soon.

after that its time to get the hood back on and return to normality...

heres a few pics of it done..

IMG_20121109_164018.jpg

IMG_20121109_164050.jpg

IMG_20121109_164105.jpg

id have to say, anyone thats looking to swap a KA and cant afford one or find one, the Z24 isnt a bad engine to swap. its pretty much a bolt in. even with an L series trans. i did have to roll the 5 speed over a bit to the driver side. just moved the tranny mount over 1 bolt. the shifter was redone and i like the placement alot better than the stock z-car config.

again, more to come later on...

• Like 1

i drove it to work today. the water pump on the subi is toast and pouring coolant from it.

it doesnt leak as much oil as youd think from the puddle it leaves.

i really need a set to 3.70s or 3.90s now. the 4.37s are way too short for the Z24 when on the freeway. ill worry about it later tho. gotta get the subi fixed first.

ill get some video on tuesday. ive got the day off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5G144MNovs

it runs much better now..

anyone hear the knock? i dunno if you have to put it on HD or not..

i replaced the rod bearings, but not the mains.. would a main bearing make that noise?

i was thinking piston slap or a wrist pin. the noise doesnt continue with the increasing RPM when driven. its just at idle...

anyways...

i need a different fuel cell. if i take a hard right, the pickup on the tank goes dry, and the truck acts like its out of gas a block later.

gonna try and get the temp sensor from the L20 swapped over so i can have some idea of how the temps doin. the oil pressure im not super worried about. i have a gauge, i just need the line and fittings.

i lost the screws for the grill so maybe jason will have some more.

gonna get the pan welded up on thursday, and go show dad hopefully.

might get some more video later on.

• 2 weeks later...

well its been a few weeks now and everything is still good.

thrashed on it alot tonight. it tops out too quick. i doubt it would even do 100 with these gears.

i guess its time to get the hood back on and be done with it.

the knock sound hasnt gone away, or gotten any worse. im gonna change the oil here soon and get some 20 50 in it.

im real happy with the power its got. the carb has always been jetted good, and it works great on this engine. i think i might order that nismo cam from the catalog like the other guy on here did.

i think i need to get some better gearing first.

anyways, more to come. will get some new pictures here soon with the hook back on.

im not sure. if i can find another 10 series car, or even a 411, it might make its way into one of those..

i was thinkin runnin it on propane, and hooking up a generator/welder unit to it.. but with a overdrive box so it would only have to rev to 2000-2200rpm max on a heavy load from the generator.

i think it would be cool. itd be reliable as fuck... lol

• 2 weeks later...

Your truck is lower than mine, but I have at least 4 inches of body travel/suspension left before bottoming out on the stock bump stops, I have more travel left if I trim the bump stops, but will then have to raise the shock towers to access that travel as the shocks bottom out the same time as the suspension hits the bump stops.

I have 7 inches between the ground and rockers/body mount arms, but I only have 4 1/2 inches between the ground and frame, so I beleave that the only way I can actually get the appearance of being lower is to do a body drop to match the frame clearance, that ain't going to happen on this project.

I do beleave I am done modifying this suspension for going lower, as if I do trim the bump stops and raise the towers, the frame will hit before the bump stops, so I am not going any lower, fact is I might have to raise it when I get lower profile tires, so I can actually turn the wheels, as right now they hit the front floor boards/firewall after only turning the wheel a little bit, as the tires are to tall.

Are you on your bump stops?

yeah that stuff was gone before canby..

i should have just been a butthead an parked in the middle with everyone else... lol

the bumpstop mount is practically gone now. i had to leave a small bit of it. i hate to admit, but when it does bottom out its metal on metal.. meh. the shocks still have about an inch before they even get close to bottoming out.

the front end needs rebuilt like 15 years ago.. its all kinds of wacky...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

alright!

so i found some insight on how i wanna do the truck.. 

this was the basic idea... ive always though the 620 has a close likeness to a 1st gen camaro. 

4193937972ed0976619fo.jpg

dynowestcamaro3.jpg

i absolutely love the the way this was done. 

this has been my goal with the 620, to have it as low as it is now, but with some meat, and flares..

heres a few more for ideas.. 

dscn1591asr0.jpg

sclfup.jpg

• Like 1