My 77 KC 620

Farmer Joe

wow, been like a week since i updated.

the starter is givin me some issues. gonna order one from a z24 for replacement.

also found all the stuff on amazon to finish the fuel system. gonna order it all in a week when i get paid.

other than that, i think the only thing thats buggin me is the exhaust leak that started, and the brakes are sucking..

gonna do the front brake shoes and repack the wheel bearings. oh yeah, i have my sway bar end links to put in too. weeee.

more to come..

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

got the brakes done, got the end links bolted on, got the exhaust fixed.

ran into some other issues though.

with running the full advance on the distributor it has hot starting problems. this really killed the L series starter in a hurry. i tried backing off the timing a bit, but the starter is toast...

i dont really trust a direct drive starter anymore. gonna order a 280zx gear reduction starter. should help when its hot.

went through all the nuts and bolts on the engine. had some loose oil pan bolts and whatnot..

im kinda bummed about the starter issue. was gonna try and go to a cruise night this weekend.. well see what happens.

ah man, the gears are awesome.

i know what you mean when you say your truck is fast with the KA.

i drove it with the 437s a few times, and it was quick to 55. that was about it without revving it out too much. could do the freeway, but i chose not to.

now, i can actually get accross an intersection in 1st gear. i love drivin on the freeway too. noone can fuck with me.. just push the gas, or if im feelin frisky, i drop to 4th and floor it.

now itd be cool to have a ZX trans with the steep OD. its still a bit revvy, but fuck, its built for it..

the KA with the 38 feels pretty equal to a stock 240sx. i know im not getting the full potential of the engine, but it ripps. id like to put the 240sx cam in and see how hat goes.

• Like 1

back at it again..

i have some problems.

the truck sat for a week, and when i started it,  it seems like it looses prime in the oil system.. it clattered a bunch for a few seconds.

next, the lifters keep going flat, and arent pumping up again..

also, i put my old starter back on. it works, but still grinds like it did before.

lastly, i have this miss at idle and midrange that popped up out if nowhere...

does a KA have special plugs it uses with the electronic ignition, that i cant use with points?

im runnin out of ideas, and time to canby too..

on a better note, i got the shift hole sealed up. its pretty nice. also got the center screwed down.

oh yeah, on this picture, which one is the feed and the return? its a tank from a 79 620.

CAM00173_zpsd780815c.jpg

more to come...

got the tank figured out..

have some angle iron that im going to make mounts for that tank with.. 

im ordering the fuel line, regulator, pressure gauge and a starter right now..

gonna try and track down the miss that came up..

back at it again..

i have some problems.

the truck sat for a week, and when i started it,  it seems like it looses prime in the oil system.. it clattered a bunch for a few seconds.

Timing chain will rattle on startup if the guide is bad.

yeah im curious is it does have bad guides.. 220k engine.

i got the miss to go away.. bad condenser.

im not sure why it has this hardstarting issue. i back off the timing, but it still exists..

cleaning up the garage a bit, and im gonna get the stock tank mounted in the bed today.

oil change is done..

sounds much better. ive come to the conclusion that the engine will need rebuilt after canby.

i hope im not chancing anyting with taking this engine.. meh, whatdaya gonna do...

got the tank mounted completely. made angle iron mounts, and welded it up. looks shit, but works well!

CAM00177_zps09f2ced4.jpg

i had to cut down the filler a bit.. has to be long enough to get a full tank though..

CAM00178_zps64704318.jpg

i mounted the coil on the steering box too.. the core support isnt a good ground.

CAM00179_zpsa0313116.jpg

im feeing better now that i got this stuff done.. now im just waiting on the fuel system stuff. i wanna stop the vapor locking.

more to come..

Woot! All the parts are aregoin to be here tomorrow!

Mom needs her computer fixed though, so thats what im doin after work instead. 

I will be gettin the fuel system put together on saturday night. Well see how it combats the vapor lock issue...

More to come...

WOO!

ready for canBy!

got the new fuel system put togetther, and it works great! no nore vapor locking with it always moving fuel. ended up using the old feed line as the return in the new setup. only made sence since i ordered 5/16 line and the feed was only 1/4.

brakes work really well.

i can tell i backed off the timing. its kinda doggy at lower rpms, but its all cool. im not worried about it. at least it will start a lot easier now..

oics..

in the back it turned out alright. i did it as clean as could with what i had.

CAM00180_zps25f151b5.jpg

this is the tee and the "low pressure" side. the 38 likes 4.5psi.

CAM00181_zps444099f0.jpg

bam!

CAM00183_zps26998711.jpg

gonna see if i can find another starter and alternator for the trip just in case. maybe a regulator too.. 

it daily driver status now though. im stoked to have it working!

figured out the fuel pump cant keep up with the KA..

either that or the regulator or something is blocked or pinched on the feed side...

i have a better pump on its way, but im gonna take the reg off, and see if thats the bottleneck...

this dinky one...

http://www.amazon.com/Autobest-F4027-Electric-Fuel-Pump/dp/B00496RE82/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1369840793&sr=1-1&keywords=electric+fuel+pump

its okay for a transfer pump, but where you gotta count in it, it kinda lacks...

i ordered this one, but from amazon. they have it cheaper. when i looked up the link, i found out its even cheaper today than it was yesterday.. shit!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p60430

im still going to take the regulator out of the system just to test if its holdin up the flow tho...

well see..