620 FUNK! **NOW with Stroker!**

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

zx 5 speed? did your driveline fit right in? were you able to use your same tranny mount? i already did the 5 speed swap in my truck a year ago but mine is making some noise and thinking about getting a different one after the winter. hoping i might be able to use my same mount that i made and a driveline set up

Pretty much any 5 speed 280Z(75-78) or 280ZX just not the turbo model(crappy borg warner T5). 81-84 Maxima has a .754 5th gear for great overdrive. later 720 4x4 pickups had a shorty 5 speed but all other 720's with a 5 speed were FS5W71B (Z series engine, but will swap to a proper L series bellhousing)

Just be careful not to mix a pre-81 and an 81+ transmission. There was a slight change and the shims are different somewhere. I learned that the hard way and puked a transmission that I had built out of 1980 and 84 transmissions in the maxima. Not quite compatable.

• 3 weeks later...

So I went to an antique shop just walking around (been in and out of there a lot. They're huge) and walked past these...

They're old twin trumpet horns, aging somewhere between 1920-50. Everything I've seen suggests around the 30's, but there's a possibility its later then that. The low tone works great. The high tone trumpet has an internal short and works, but very intermittent. I don't want to burn it up so I'm thinking of dissecting it to see how it looks inside. The wire jacketing has fallen apart on both trumpets so I peeled it all off and covered the wireing in nice heat shrink tubing. 

After cleaning them up with a wire brush, they came out VERY nice.

8302177405_15272828a4_b.jpg
_DSC0142 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8303231154_06b39854f1_b.jpg
_DSC0146 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8302176821_df6bfd5d8a_b.jpg
_DSC0152 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

I need to find a diagram for the 6V GM relay that it came with. I don't want to blow it up if it's any good. If I can get them both working 100%, I'll wire them in a series and run them on the truck. If not, I'll donate them to a rat rod project that's starting up. 

I also have finished repainting one of my two fender badges. 

IMAG0610.jpg
  • 1 month later...

Finally an update!! Copied from another forum... sorry if it seems scattered...

I fell behind updating it. My GF has been here for the last month so we've been hanging out. 

Just a bunch of random pictures here for the most part. 

She got me one of my favorite pictures blown up for Christmas. I love it!

IMAG0054.jpg

About a week or so ago, I was having oil PSI issues. (Oil light came on at idle) I was about ready to condemn the bearings and pull the motor after replacing the oil pump with a high volume pump which had no effect. After changing the oil and PSI sender (again) it's all fine. Dodged a bullet there. Best part about this oil pump is that it's external, and easy to remove. Driven by the distributor shaft, so I pulled the dizzy and used a set of vice grips to hold the shaft in place. 10 min later and I have a brand new oil pump in. I'm using a KA-E oil pump, since it's a higher volume pump. 

GF changing the oil PSI switch.

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0043-1.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

Visited a friend around the corner and used his fender roller to play around.

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

We only pulled the rear, since my fronts cleared with my current camber after doing some adjustments with a baseball bat a week before. 

There is NO more lower the front can go though.

IMAG0044-1-1.jpg

We took a TON of pictures out at a closed parking lot. Enjoy. This shows about how stretched my fenders have gotten now. 

8391778818_3affcb698c_b.jpg
_DSC0067 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8391778718_25451c47a7_b.jpg
_DSC0069 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8391778510_5d66f37fa3_b.jpg
_DSC0074 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8390695411_241ff77bb2_b.jpg
_DSC0075 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8391778092_cf6110a44a_b.jpg
_DSC0079 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8391777326_5752074c62_b.jpg
_DSC0096 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8390694281_4b4c17cf9f_b.jpg
_DSC0117 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8390694165_b55a00016e_b.jpg
_DSC0118 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr
last but not least, this goes ahead of this all. Stopped by the park with a buddy to shoot his 510. Played around JAWGA style. 

8372728977_15184391fd_b.jpg

_DSC0181 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8333513977_1553dc360f_b.jpg

_CSC0256-2 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8373797890_6c2f175171_b.jpg

_DSC0232 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8373797200_e77ce69872_b.jpg

_DSC0250 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

8372726261_859a4b7eeb_b.jpg

_DSC0245 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

Forgot to mention I got some Ellipsoids a month or so ago. 

Since the battery on the 620 doesn't clear the passenger side headlight, I'm gonna re-locate the battery to the bed. (probably under since it's an AGM and I can mount it sideways) Or i'll buy a cheap universal and bolt it across the top through the bed to keep people out of it. 

I've gotten my bodywork scheduled too. Got a friend at a resto shop that's probably one of the best body guys in the south. We're planning on making some new rockers and replacing a few bits of metal on the truck in a few weekends, depending on funds for some other projects..

his current project that he and a friend have been working on.. powered by Autozone parts. i'ts been a blast trying to find shit for this. 

IMAG0152.jpg

My buddy gutted one of his old Suzuki Swift GTI's and offered me his stock Recaro buckets for $100 that I think I might go for at some point.

IMAG0143.jpg

And last but not least, re-gasketed and did a general cleaning and inspection of my Weber. Runs a lot better and a lot less ugly after some brake parts cleaner after taking this pic of the ugly old thing.

IMAG0159.jpg

that weber adapter is home made... 

is it steel or aluminum? 

Steel. It's pretty shitty where it counts. I had to take a grinder to it in order to get the ports smoother properly. The actual construction isn't bad, but they did a piss poor job getting the holes drilled to match the ports on the carb and manifold.

No pictures for this update.

i've been driving it for the last few days and had issues with it not starting well when cold. Worse then ever. Finally found that the choke arm came off the choke flaps and it was flapping around. They were always closed when i'd look in the air cleaner, but as soon as I'd hit the key to start it, the vibrating would rattle the choke plate open and it would run like a wounded dog. Finally fixed it and it's back to normal.

I now notice that when driving highway speeds (60mph ish) and braking, or when i hit a hard bump on the right side and start braking, I get a nasty grinding and vibrations throughout the truck. It also feels like the brakes are dragging afterwards. I did a quick inspection and found nothing odd to report. No bearing play, no un-even brake wear, new everything on the brakes. Not sure what's going on with it. I know one of my front drums is warped, but I'm not going to replace it because I think I'm going to spend my tax money on either front disk, put it towards a sweet LZ23, or bodywork/paint. 

Not sure, just need these parts to last a little longer until I can find a full time job locally. 

Your truck looks good my man. :)

Thanks man! Hoping to get it better soon.

wondering. how where u able to mount the easdtwood fender roller being they dont make a 6 lug roller.. and the 4 lug universal mixed witht he 5 lug universal didnt seem to work with my truck.. thanks for any input..

Well, I didn't modify it to fit (buddies) but it looked like he took a grinder and opened up one or two of the lug holes on the fender roller, and mounted it on two of the top studs on the hub. 

• 2 weeks later...

I kinda figured ;) The way I look at it, if I ever need to go lower then this, it will be on bags or coils, so the sway bar will be pretty much useless at that point anyways. 

I haven't really done much other then drive it. My starter took a shit while I was driving around. Even with a dying starter I was able to get it to turn over JUST enough to fire it up. With my choke closed on a cold engine, it starts up very easily so it took very little effort. Since then, I've played with a few ideas. 

Trans will be coming out soon for a rebuild, and motor will PROBABLY be coming out for something with double the power. Just trying to work that out right now...

I'll order my ZG flares in a few weeks, months, days, idk. I have the money but I'm having trouble prioritizing right now, so I think I'll just sit on it and play with the idea for a while. Part of me wants to find some 16x8's with a 0 or - offset, so i can get the right tires on, but that's long down the road.

Anyways,

I painted the letters out pretty crappy on my spare just to get an idea of what it would look like, and I kinda like it. I always like raised white letters so I may paint them all out in a week or so when it's warm out and I can scrub down the tires. 

What do you guys think???

IMAG0268_zps29b95946.jpg

IMAG0269_zpsf46f7586.jpg

This was my inspiration

7100920245_071f191489_b.jpg
WTA-1-33 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

6954852748_49e0321e20_b.jpg
WTA-1-35 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr