resto-mod 521 buildup (goin tube frame now)

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY got back on this thing. 

Made a 60"x30" rectangle and attached it to the frame rails under the cab, raised 10" up.

406b4f1ff90f__1358039033000.jpg?tw=0&th=

added tubes. Decided to do something a little different than the standard NASA road racing style cage. Wanted to follow the body lines and fit tight with the body. I'm not planning on dragging the body against rocks so I'm not to concerned with the tubes being outside the body. Just want to make sure I don't die if I flop it over. I'm about 90% done with the frame, and maybe 30% into the tube work so far.

1c00013730bb__1358038983000.jpg?tw=0&th=

Awesome Jack stands.

ef33a664a42b__1358039949000.jpg?tw=0&th=

All of the lower frame rails are rectangular 2"x3"x.188" thick tubing, about 40' worth(BEEFY). All round is 1.75" X .120" thick DOM tubing, about 64' TOTAL is what I have ordered, and still have 1/3 of it left.

ea5505484cd6__1358038987000.jpg?tw=0&th=

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The front part of the hood needs to be a lot taller... so I don't know if that style scoop will help much. (RIGHT behind the hood latch it needs to be like 3" taller)

I'm thinking of grafting in the hood bulge from a 1st generation Z car, having a Z motor and all... :-)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
L/Z stroker w/ built big cam head or Stock L28?

GAHHHHHH

Pull the L28 back out haha.

I have this bad feeling that the L28 is just going to tear up all of my drivetrain stuff and get bad MPG lol.

Your worse than I am, my 520 project was on 4 different configured frames, but at least I wasn't making whole new frames like you are.  :hmm:

Just finish it to the point where you can drive it and see if what you have made works.

I did have doubts that the SD22 would move the original setup, that is the very reason I took mine off the 4X4 frame and made it what it is today, a nice daily driver with just enough power to not make me crazy.

Your worse than I am, my 520 project was on 4 different configured frames, but at least I wasn't making whole new frames like you are.  :hmm:

Just finish it to the point where you can drive it and see if what you have made works.

I did have doubts that the SD22 would move the original setup, that is the very reason I took mine off the 4X4 frame and made it what it is today, a nice daily driver with just enough power to not make me crazy.

SD22 would be great for offroad in low range, but I had my serious doubts about any street driving after driving my seriously underpowered Samurai. 

• 1 month later...