resto-mod 521 buildup (goin tube frame now)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the driver's side was wrecked down on the lower left hand corner, but the passenger side is still decent, I believe.

The only rust is where the fender bolts to the chassis at the bottom.

Hey MOT~

Been following your build here-n-there~ yours is going a bit different direction than mine, as our wants/needs are different. I saw something in your photos that looks to be some interference down the road (trail). Have you checked clearances with steering locked in both directions, and at full compression? Those 37's look like they might give you something to think about right here~

MOTarticulation.jpg

Hopefully it's just a goofy camera angle~ as thusfar you've impressed me as one who's familiar with "the carpenter's rule"....

Peace~

Scott

Hey MOT~

Been following your build here-n-there~ yours is going a bit different direction than mine, as our wants/needs are different. I saw something in your photos that looks to be some interference down the road (trail). Have you checked clearances with steering locked in both directions, and at full compression? Those 37's look like they might give you something to think about right here~

Hopefully it's just a goofy camera angle~ as thusfar you've impressed me as one who's familiar with "the carpenter's rule"....

Peace~

Scott

That part of the body is cut away and is clearanced, its just hard to tell from that angle. The part that you circled is just part of the inner fender. Still going to check clearances again once I get real tires on there.

And it rolls on its own off the lift...

I put 620 leaf springs in the rear, and just have some regular stock datsun coil springs up front, but are wayyy too weak. Just there to hold it up to roll around.

height of the 521 vs. my 04 frontier

2011-12-17%25252017.03.51_Statham_Georgia_US.jpg

My 6'4" buddy posing next to my truck:

2011-12-17%25252016.18.21.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

No real progress.... new job keeps me from working on truck, and having to fix other people's cars on the weekends.

Here's just a little pair of pictures to show the before and after of the ride height/body changes...

Before:

2011-09-25%25252016.35.01_Statham_Georgia_US.jpg

After:

2011-12-30%25252014.31.27.jpg

The body is roughly 13" higher than stock. Wheelbase stretched from 100"(stock 521) to 115"(720 pickup+5") currently..

The rear is going to receive 6" shackles that will lift it about 2" more in the rear, as well as receive 35" tires all the way around. Currently sitting on 33's up front and 30's in the back.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Panhard bar in so...

First flex pics(sorry its blurry, I'm in an unlighted shop):

20120121_162439.jpg

20120121_162625.jpg

Tire is hitting the turn signal on the driver's side... time for more trimming. :-D

Its on some unknown Datsun car front springs right now... flexes pretty nice but needs coilovers. :-D

Here are some pics from today:

I cut up the 521 bed on the donor truck(all rusty on the bed bottom)

20120122_145632.jpg

Mocking up the passenger side:

20120122_140245.jpg

20120122_140230.jpg

Driver's side:

20120122_150957.jpg

20120122_145501.jpg

Looks like I'm going to have to lengthen the stock wheel well openings... Still want to look somewhat original but I'm putting together a plan on how to go about opening them up and keep the look.

20120122_151012.jpg

very nice flex, the front fenders look great. are the bed sides on the donor truck not being used, if so i wish i was a lot closer...i need a 521 or 520 bed. the whole look of the truck works!

I am using the bed sides. The rest of the bed was so far gone it wasn't worth trying to save.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice build Master-O-Turbonic. I have to ask hoping it is not too late but do you still have dome of the front drum brake parts? I am in Atlanta and in need of some for my 521.

Thanks in advance...

Thanks!

I have some drum parts... what do you need?

The truck was missing all of the drums but everything else seems to be there... I'm keeping all the rear end parts as spares in case I break a rear axle shaft (quite possible with big tires)

Got some more work done today...

Worked on getting the right side mounted. The left side was removed(un-bolted from the locking hub) for reinforcement like what you see in these right side pics.

Nowherre near done yet but at least the bed side isn't going to collapse under its own weight.

20120218_131644.jpg

20120218_105711.jpg

20120218_131530.jpg

20120218_131631.jpg

So far....

81 720 4x4 chassis, transfer case, and rear axle with 290,000 miles on them

82 720 SD22 and 5 speed transmission with ~110,000 miles on them

71 521 cab and bed sides with 90,000 miles on them.

Thats almost half a million miles right there... ;-)

620 pickup 2wd leaf springs w/ stock shackles. No lift in the rear other than mixing up OEM parts.

Still under $1000 so far.....

Now the expensive stuff...

Built Chrysler Dana 44 axle with Chevy hi-steer conversion, all new replaceables(u-joints, bearings, etc...) in the axle, aussie locker, new brakes, 4.875 yukon gears.... Pricey

Artec 3 link bracketry

RuffStuff Panhard bar kit

Johnny joints and heavy duty link tubing

Still need to get a driveshaft made once the truck is aligned...