resto-mod 521 buildup (goin tube frame now)

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it doesnt look like the cab is anywhere near the right position looks like it needs to go forward about 3 feet

Just sit tight and watch. rolleyes.gif

The front firewall mounts are within 1/2" of being centered up on the original body mount holes..

Wheelbase is nowhere near stock on this puppy... so the wheels aren't going to be even close to fitting the original wheel-wells.

90* front approach angle FTW! That front 3/4 view (axle test fit) is looking pretty good ... what wheel base are you shooting for?

ALMOST 90 degrees... Still going to add a winch that is going to lengthen things up a bit...

Wheelbase should be around 113" with stock rear leaf springs. In the future when I build a 4 link for the rear I'm probably going to try to go out to about 117".

I see what you plan on doing with the front fenders (tape line on the drivers side front fender)

hehe

2eDeYe' date='15 November 2011 - 01:39 PM' timestamp='1321382386' post='578787']

It keeps getting better :D

Not sure if I asked, but is that a Wagoneer Dana 44?

Thanks!

Yes it is a Wagoneer Dana 44. Not sure what year it is, but I know some "Waggy" D44's were driver side drop, some were passenger side drop depending on year...

Today's progress:

Got something for MetalMonkey47... Gonna slam his 620, then jack up my 721 with stock stuff... ;-)

2011-11-15%25252009.10.36.jpg

Did some firewall work this morning... mounted the 720 steering shaft... solidly... and got the brake setup at least mocked up.

2011-11-15%25252015.50.47.jpg

Need a new clutch master cylinder for a 521... I have a feeling this is going to be hard to find?? Maybe a regular Datsun one will work cause they are like $15 at Napa.

2011-11-15%25252016.18.32.jpg

Did what I call a karate chop to the fenders. I think it looks pretty fricking cool, and at the same time it keeps the stock lines of the truck.

I made the cut, rolled the cut outward just like the stock little flare with the English Wheel, then bent a lip back under just like stock, but now it goes straight forward. Not perfect, but a skim coat of finishing bondo will help smooth out the small divots.

Going to cut away the lower turn signals and core support up to the bottom of the head light buckets for tire clearance...

2011-11-15%25252014.24.28.jpg

2011-11-15%25252014.24.14.jpg

2011-11-15%25252014.10.26_Statham_Georgia_US.jpg

2011-11-15%25252012.56.36.jpg

UNDENIABLE:

2011-11-15%25252014.33.24.jpg

Master-O-Turbonics said,

Need a new clutch master cylinder for a 521... I have a feeling this is going to be hard to find?? Maybe a regular Datsun one will work cause they are like $15 at Napa.

I just bought 2 new centric clutch masters for the 520-21 series a couple weeks ago, you should be able to find one. wayno

Ah, Thanks Wayno!

I had seen some 521 clutch master cylinders on Ebay for like $50... Thats why I was asking.

Really like that fender line, looks great.

Thanks man.

damn! i'm not much of a 4x4 fan, but i have to say this one is looking pretty sick.

Honestly, I'm not either. I cant hardly stand some of the 4x4 beasts out there. When I came up with the idea for this truck, I decided that I just wanted a vehicle with Classic lines, but could still perform in the rocks when I go camping in the mountains. Not some hacked up looking buggy with a Datsun hood on it.

My 2wd Frontier just isn't up to the task any more... I hate having to steer around 7" tall rocks in the middle of the trail in fear of my oil pan getting damaged. Not to mention when I lift a rear tire, it instantly goes to 0 wheel drive. I keep to gravel roads ever since..... Never Mind LOL

Did you see this thread/post Master-O-Turbonics?

http://community.rat...post__p__582790

I actually think this looks good. wayno

That is pretty cool.

I'm open to the idea of flares, I just want something that looks like it belongs on a 1971..

The boxy flares do a good job of keeping the stock body lines of the 720 there.

have made almost zero progress on the truck. Started a new job last week and have been too busy to work on the truck.