resto-mod 521 buildup (goin tube frame now)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Its getting there!

20120425_194321.jpg

20120425_200539.jpg

20120425_193433.jpg

Racing Honda 3 core radiator and Optima 34R reversed terminal battery (Thanks to MetalMonkey47 for the screaming deal at AutoZone!).

20120503_173358.jpg

some close-ups of the hose setup

20120430_202653.jpg

IT RUNS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUdAkkm8nCoVAWklCN02yMBw&feature=player_detailpage&v=9XU5yxLpeFU

The motor is pretty much solid mounted, which I am going to re-do with some hydraulic mounts. I thought there was going to be enough isoation between the chassis and cab for the vibration, but its pretty much ridiculous, LOL!

2eDeYe' timestamp='1336234058' post='681040']

Ya I'd think that diesel would rattle your teeth out. :lol:

This things gonna need some bigger tires.

Its already got some kinda worn 33's on it.

If I go any bigger I'll definitely have to move up from my 4.38 to my 4.88 gears. The front axle already has 4.88's in it. I'm thinking of running some 37's once I get everything sorted out and maybe up the power level a bit.

f'ing sweet.

Thanks man. Its turned out better than I would have imagined.

Wow talk about power .Got a Banks kit in that thing.haha Sounds good

Haha yeah, its just the exhaust manifold and no exhaust. Going to run a 2.5" or so exhaust with a 4" stack behind the cab. I have a new 4" MBRP muffler that I got in a trade off of an exhaust for a diesel powerstroke F250.

Yeah I have also thought of the same thing...

Here is the killer solution: Get a hardbody Z24 4x4 transmission and put it in the SD22 Bellhousing, and then run the 720 transfer case divorced behind the TX10 transfer case. that would allow a 4:1 reduction just at the transfer case and give double low. :-) Also allow you to run a PTO or other accessories off of the TX10 front output (think 10KW generator head) since it is tucked high and the 720 transfer case drops straight down.

You could run a PTO driveshaft up to the front of the truck to run farm equipment or a PTO winch. THAT would be awesome.

Okay i know this is pretty far back there... but i have been toying with ideals to double my 720 up...

Do you happen to know if the TX10 will bolt to the 720 trans? or is there possibility for internals swap? I have my tranny out right now, replacing flywheel. I would like to see if there is something i can do for it, while it is out...

A 4x4 transmission from a ka24 powered d21 pickup should work in a 720 bellhousing, though you may have to swap out some of the bearings on the input shaft and countershaft, depending on the transmissions...

If I find one at pullapart, I will probably grab it, as it fits in the sd22 bellhousing as well.

I never really made a permanent upper link frame side mount for the front suspension, so to work on it I pulled the cab off which was only 6 bolts.

20120511_202350.jpg

20120511_202359.jpg

Also going to finish restoration work on the cab.

Upholstery shop is hard at work on the bench and door panels, and soon to be on sun visors. Headliner once the cab is painted.

Also need to start over on the electrical system, which should be pretty easy with a mechanical diesel lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice looking tuck and beautiful seat!

What is gonna be the paint color of this big beast?

Dan

Thanks man!

The plan is to re-paint the truck the original Dragon Green.

Soon to be getting window gaskets so I can get the windows taken out and repaint the entire cab inside and out with no paint lines at the trim.

20120409_200339-1.jpg

I am really liking this build. Looking forward to see what you do with this SD22. Looking at your user name, I have high hopes to see your turbo plans.

As for the body, I am trying to talk myself into liking the front fenders......not working. Maybe another set of fronts to donate the lower rear section. Cut your current fenders straight up from the back of the wheel opening to the bottom of the side body line, then attach the new lower section right up to it. That should move the rear portion of the front fender closer to the tire, closing the huge hole behind the tire.

Why didn't you just replace the bottom of the 521 bed with the floor section of the 720?

I dig your truck and the regular updates.

What race shop are you working at now?

20120409_200339-1.jpg

I am really liking this build. Looking forward to see what you do with this SD22. Looking at your user name, I have high hopes to see your turbo plans.

As for the body, I am trying to talk myself into liking the front fenders......not working. Maybe another set of fronts to donate the lower rear section. Cut your current fenders straight up from the back of the wheel opening to the bottom of the side body line, then attach the new lower section right up to it. That should move the rear portion of the front fender closer to the tire, closing the huge hole behind the tire.

Patience is key. :-) Tires will grow in time to fill the wheel well. 33's are just for now. Plus at full flex the weelwell fills up with tire.

Why didn't you just replace the bottom of the 521 bed with the floor section of the 720?

I dig your truck and the regular updates.

What race shop are you working at now?

The floor is going to be a flatbed, and the bed sides swing out like doors so I will be able to access the bed all around. The 720 bed floor was too far gone anyway. Too much work to make junk work.

I'm currently a fabricator at Forged Performance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Soon to have a brand new windshield. Also found a bunch of parts off a 520 and some off an early 521 in really good shape. Great front end trim pieces too.

Windows are about to come out and gonna do everything on the cab.

Planning on adding A/C as well as on board air powered off a v belt and pully on the transfer case. Air tank to be mounted under the bed on the drivers side.

• 2 weeks later...