'73 1200 Coupe Project, aka Timmy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the saving weight on seats thing. If I was gonna sweat the 5 extra lbs on seats, I think I'd still go for what's more comfortable and go on a diet to offset the weight. Maybe it's more weight than I give it credit for though.

What's the weight difference between the various frames?

If I was gonna sweat the 5 extra lbs on seats, I think I'd still go for what's more comfortable and go on a diet 

Again, I won't be buying anything that isn't comfortable. The Corbeau FX1 is a very comfortable seat. Probably more comfortable than most OEM seats.

If the choice is between using a comfortable/heavy seat and a comfortable/light seat, I think it's a no brainer. I'm choosing solely on weight. All choices must be comfortable or they won't be considered. 

And honestly, the Corbeau Forza is less comfortable than the Corbeau FX1. In my experience, a composite seat is always more comfortable than a steel frame seat. The have a tiny bit more "give" than a metal frame seat. 

Maybe it's more weight than I give it credit for though. 

It is.   B)

What's the weight difference between the various frames?

Aluminum is the lightest, usually 12-14 pounds total weight. Composite seats are slightly heavier at 16-18 pounds. Steel frame fixed buckets are usually 21-24 pounds. The Corbeau GTS that mrbigtanker mentioned is 27 pounds. The average OEM seat is 30-40 pounds.   

So we aren't just talking about a 5 pound difference in the end. Replacing the stock seats with two Ultrashields could shave roughly 50 pounds off the car. And be more comfortable than the stock seat to boot. 

• Like 1

Dug out the big 5" speedo and tach...

1891194_10151998692942983_1068573047_n.j

Now to try and make them all fit in here...   :rofl:

1800412_10151998692957983_1774697490_n.j

Tried out Tim's 3 3/8" gauges in the dash, and although they fit much better, they look kinda funny to my eyes. I'm going to go crazy on that gauge face and make these monster gauges fit. Stay tuned...

• Like 2

And if anyone has a spare ash tray, let me know...   :thumbup:

If the coupe has one you can have it. I looked at the pictures of the dash and it is not installed. If I find it loose in the car, I'll bring it next time I drop by to check out the cool stuff you have done recently.

If you've ever worked under a 1200, you know there isn't room to really tuck a muffler (like a 510/240Z). Ordered one of these to see if I can mount it closer to the diff and see if it fits better...

WLK-18203_xl.jpg

May just end up cutting out (at least part of) the spare tire well...   :rofl:

• Like 1

Borla makes a nice 1.75 stainless that fits under a 1200

Yeah, but does it have twin outlets right next to each other?   ^_^

And I don't feel good about anything fitting "under" enough. This car is really low, and I don't want to be banging it on everything...

What initially drew me to this one was it is the thinnest "turbo" muffler I could find, only 4.25" tall. Most are 5-6" tall at least. And I reeeeeeally wanted a twin outlet. 

• Like 1

The Coupe ash tray! I had to go to Atlantis and beat up Jimmy Hoffa to get it back. Harrison Ford was already hauling the Ark out of there when I arrived.

Well played.  I doff my cap to thee, sirrah!

• Like 1