My sr20det Datsun 510 build saga...

SSSEXXX

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, you need a hug! Sorry that this endeavor happened to you and your car. 

I hope that in the mist of all this, that you have tenacity to take this 'Mike shop' to the cleaners... to be vengeful, just based on principle and extremely bad business practices.

I will deal with Mike accordingly.  When I picked up the car I did not discuss money with him at all.  Instead when he brough it up, I just told him to do "what he thought was the right thing and that we will discuss my thoughts after he did so."  He said he would follow up with me last night about the missing parts and any potential refund.  Needless to say, I have not heard from him since. 

you seem to be handling this far better than I would be.. This totally sucks.  So sorry for everything youve lost in this complete horror story.  Karma is a Mofo though so hopefully he gets his in the end. Good luck with the rest of the build..

Thank you!  I appreciate the empathy right about now.  I generally believe in karma and letting the world sort things out, but not this time.  In my youth, I would have probably assaulted him or have alleviated my anger on him in one form or another.  I have learned to take a more Zen like approach to life.  I work in a very high stress environment with a high "burn out" rate.  I had formulated a master plan long before I picked up the car, anticipated the worst, and now must only follow through with him as I planned.  Fortune has brought me another opportunity and it may have been the only thing that helped me remain calm while picking up my car.  If all goes well, and I see no reason why it wouldn't, things will shake out.

• Like 1

what a joke that guy makes more excuses than my ex girlfriend, that dime

didnt deserve to be treated like a penny....

i would go legal with it you have all the proof you need to get your down

payment back and even more with the damages taken to the vehicle.

i hope you get her fixed up that car needs to be reborn

....wow.  i am fucking appalled at the shit he did to you.  maybe you being an attorney is why he doesn't have a foot up his ass... because i guarantee you hed have worse from me. im sorry

to hear you had to go through all that, and like everyone else hope that the experience doesn't cause discouragement.  your build thread is badass. you pay a lot of attention to detail and

execution. im sure if you keep your head on straight itll look like tophers. (im sure you've seen his build and if you haven't, go now lol)  in my opionion, if i may:  go sr, build the car you want.

who cares if its a 68, to hell with that notion. do the swap first and get it running.  youre going to have to cut holes, weld holes up, move stuff, modify, modify, modify,. these cars didn't come

with sr's, they don't bolt right in. but don't let it scare you.  but i guarantee you, if you paint that engine bay before setting up the motor, piping, plumbing. youre going to regret it when your

sanding some paint off to add what you need.  ...     the one thing you must not do.. GIVE UP. , don't give up, don't sell it..   because at that point i will agree, that you wasted  a perfectly

good, 68 Datsun 510. 

• Like 1
wow man this is such a tragedy. It's unbelievable this guy is still in business. really sorry to hear you've had to deal with this BS. Hope you get your money and parts back.

I can't believe it either.  Other than the board member who referred me, I have no reason to believe that this guy has ever done any quality work.  His shop, by the way, is not large enough to fit more than one car in at a time and maybe have a second hanging out the garage bay.  His move, well, his address has been the same since many of these first complaints were filed in 2008.  For all intensive purposes, this appears to be a small time ponzi scheme that plays off of people's fear of the bodywork industry and thier misinformation.

So unfair. Noone should have to go through this. Good luck with everything. I hope things will go better here on out.

Thank you, I sincerely appreciate that.  I hope it does too.

Where in cali is this so we know not to go here

The address is listed in the body of my opening post about it.  I suggest you never do business with the owner in any capacity.  The quality of his character has been well documented.  He does not appear to have any regard for other people whatsoever. 

what a joke that guy makes more excuses than my ex girlfriend, that dime

didnt deserve to be treated like a penny....

i would go legal with it you have all the proof you need to get your down

payment back and even more with the damages taken to the vehicle.

i hope you get her fixed up that car needs to be reborn

I agree, she did not deserve this.  No one does, but I will deal with it accordingly.  I took the weekend to try and decide my next steps.  Obviously, I have not heard a word from this guy about my missing parts, my money, or even another excuse.  I do have all the proof I need to establish negligence, possibly gross negligence, and possible criminal charges.  I will take civil action first and then decide how hard to push on the criminal side.  I am as relentless as they come when it comes to this sort of thing and once I am pushed too far (which clearly takes a lot) I will not stop until I get justice.  To be honest, if he would have given me my money and parts back I would have probably considered walking away despite the thousand of dollars in damage to my car at one point.  Now, I will not stop until I am made whole and I don't care if he files bankruptcy.  I don't care if he closes his shop.  I will not stop until I have my justice.

....wow.  i am fucking appalled at the shit he did to you.  maybe you being an attorney is why he doesn't have a foot up his ass... because i guarantee you hed have worse from me. im sorry

to hear you had to go through all that, and like everyone else hope that the experience doesn't cause discouragement.  your build thread is badass. you pay a lot of attention to detail and

execution. im sure if you keep your head on straight itll look like tophers. (im sure you've seen his build and if you haven't, go now lol)  in my opionion, if i may:  go sr, build the car you want.

who cares if its a 68, to hell with that notion. do the swap first and get it running.  youre going to have to cut holes, weld holes up, move stuff, modify, modify, modify,. these cars didn't come

with sr's, they don't bolt right in. but don't let it scare you.  but i guarantee you, if you paint that engine bay before setting up the motor, piping, plumbing. youre going to regret it when your

sanding some paint off to add what you need.  ...     the one thing you must not do.. GIVE UP. , don't give up, don't sell it..   because at that point i will agree, that you wasted  a perfectly

good, 68 Datsun 510. 

I really appreciate the inspiration and the confidence.  As I mentioned above, I took the time this weekend to plan out what I am going to do with the car.  As of now, the build will continue and she will be reborn, better and badder than ever.  I have someone I consider to be the best to guide me through the rest of the way with regard to her paint and body.  I also took a bit of time to assess the work that was done to the car.  It is all so horribly bad.  The moldings were removed and the pins were left in the sheet metal, covered with bondo, and are hanging free.  If you tap one of them inside of the trunk, for example, the pin pops out and smashes through the bondo and primer.  The primer was laid over a significant amount of surface rust.  The engine bay needs to be completely redone and the front core support may need to be replaced entirely.  Overall damage in terms of body work is mons likely in excess of $3k, just to get the car back to where she was before she went to this horrible shop.  My interior, which was completely redone and gorgeous, is now filled with water, musky, and most of which will need to be redone.  The interior of the car was also used as parts storage and there are scratches and dirty everywhere.  Most likely $1,500 or more, assuming I can find the parts, to get her back to where she was when she left my garage. 

• Like 1

I can't believe this has happened to you. The fact that anyone would act like this is absurd, however believable this day in age. It surprises me that anyone one recommend this guy who wasn't in on the scam. I'm am sure you will give him what he deserves, hopefully plus some for the rest of us. This guy seems to know something about Datsuns based on the rare parts that are

Missing. I have to say it seems unbelievable to me that someone would do what has been done to yor car to any car, left outside in bar metal to rust. This guy should be drawn and quartered for his actions, that is after he has payed for damages and refunded your money.

I have to say I'm glad I sent you that pm and got you back to the forum. I am glad to see you ate still going for it and I hope you can get your sponsors back once they see what had been done to you.

Keep at it and this will be one of the best built 510's I have seen!!

Get some!!

wow this is unbelievable you should go for everything 

full refund compensation for not having your car 

and compensation for all the missing parts 

then hang him by his balls till they fall off 

dude send it up i feel bad enough to do my second free datsun paint job....(normally my work gets paid for this netted me a goon project )

sorry to say sounds like typically situation with painters ..... there are good ones like 510 keeper but for every good one theres 10 of these guys....take him to judge judy.....your wayto patient i woulda showed up much earlier when things were smelling wierd...

free paint job sample...fenders wetsanded with 2000 grit for polishing is why it looks less glossy

26ba5c63.jpg

it may take three monthes but it would be way more done than that screw job u got....car still saveable even with all the mis treatement by that shop..... At the vary least I can donate a full media blast to help wash away that nightmare.....

Wow i seriously thought i was the only one who got screwed like that! Sorry to hear cause i know how you feel... 

I too have been a victim like that! sanded down to bare metal and left to sit for 4 years after excuses after excuses. I finally gave up and threaten him that ill call the cops and take him to court as i already have given him some deposit from the beginning. so i finally got it back all butchered up and parts missing... worst part is i work with this guy in the same company but in different departments. he claims of refunding me.. but i highly doubt it.

Well your still standing strong! Cause i am! Get her done and lets see her running! 

Best of luck!

I can't believe this has happened to you. The fact that anyone would act like this is absurd, however believable this day in age. It surprises me that anyone one recommend this guy who wasn't in on the scam. I'm am sure you will give him what he deserves, hopefully plus some for the rest of us. This guy seems to know something about Datsuns based on the rare parts that are

Missing. I have to say it seems unbelievable to me that someone would do what has been done to yor car to any car, left outside in bar metal to rust. This guy should be drawn and quartered for his actions, that is after he has payed for damages and refunded your money.

I have to say I'm glad I sent you that pm and got you back to the forum. I am glad to see you ate still going for it and I hope you can get your sponsors back once they see what had been done to you.

Keep at it and this will be one of the best built 510's I have seen!!

Get some!!

wow this is unbelievable you should go for everything 

full refund compensation for not having your car 

and compensation for all the missing parts 

then hang him by his balls till they fall off 

i smell a serious lawsuit 

My heart goes out to you man. I agree with others on this post; you're handling it better than most would. You're a bigger man than I am.

This guy is just a dumbass.

dude send it up i feel bad enough to do my second free datsun paint job....(normally my work gets paid for this netted me a goon project )

sorry to say sounds like typically situation with painters ..... there are good ones like 510 keeper but for every good one theres 10 of these guys....take him to judge judy.....your wayto patient i woulda showed up much earlier when things were smelling wierd...

free paint job sample...fenders wetsanded with 2000 grit for polishing is why it looks less glossy

26ba5c63.jpg

it may take three monthes but it would be way more done than that screw job u got....car still saveable even with all the mis treatement by that shop..... At the vary least I can donate a full media blast to help wash away that nightmare.....

Wow i seriously thought i was the only one who got screwed like that! Sorry to hear cause i know how you feel... 

I too have been a victim like that! sanded down to bare metal and left to sit for 4 years after excuses after excuses. I finally gave up and threaten him that ill call the cops and take him to court as i already have given him some deposit from the beginning. so i finally got it back all butchered up and parts missing... worst part is i work with this guy in the same company but in different departments. he claims of refunding me.. but i highly doubt it.

Well your still standing strong! Cause i am! Get her done and lets see her running! 

Best of luck!

Thank you all so much for the love and support.  The community has been so understanding and accepting of my ranting and yes, you all are correct.  I have filed a lawsuit and I very much plan on being made whole again.  I don't know exactly what the future holds for this build, but I do like to finish what I started.  I don't like receiving things for free, especially from good people and so many of you have offered to help.  I appreciate that so much.  I have made arrangements with someone to paint the car and it should begin sometime in mid-March.  I don't want to disclose who and any details until I get permission from that party.  Believe me, you will not be disappointed if all goes well.  I believe in karma, and this time, I may have been the recipient of some great karma from the car Gods.

• Like 3

James said a year ago he was finishing up his current projects and then he was done painting cars.... Right when I was ready to give him my wagon too.... only wish he would still take it.

Chris, 

I feel bad man. I'm still working on getting my wagon out of there. I have no place to put it currently.  

what parts were lost/missing? I can go by and look for them.

thats a shame but i can sympathize with him as painting a car is arduous......wish i could say i could but i had 6 month's of weekends on the blue car above.....and i still got some trim to paint...prolly why ium not painting y goon but for the jambs and under hood for now ..... wanna drive it .

• 3 weeks later...

Well it was either get busy dying or get busy living.  I chose living....

First up was remove the seats and the carpet.  I'm going to strip her down and get her ready for her rebirth. 

8559792179_723b241afb.jpg

8559792801_1292675709.jpg

8559797111_0cab15b808.jpg

8560908176_24c707218f.jpg

8560909096_b6181396fb.jpg

8560910834_d81cde88ff.jpg

After all the seats were out, it was on to tackle the door window and lock intnerals.....

Driver's side front door without the interior door card in it.

8560912202_b9dfc3cd08.jpg

Driver's side front door internals laid out nice and pretty so I don't forget where everything goes.

8560913196_bcfe6e6ff0.jpg

A buck naked door for your viewing pleasure. Just be careful looking at her at work...

8560913760_a9328fff72.jpg

Then it was on to the rear door. One more time kids. Basically the same thing, but indulge me and just act surprised anyway....

8560914882_c7101acdcd.jpg

Laid out for the sake of my world class bad memorty and because I can't read a repair manual to save my life...

8559807295_c332d138ed.jpg

Now the nudity joke was funny the first time. A second time would be perverted. See, I can be an adult sometimes....

8560916196_6964f93493.jpg

Much more to come everyone!! Feels so good to be back working on her again.