My sr20det Datsun 510 build saga...

SSSEXXX

I know, I know. You damn near pleaded with me. I couldn't take all of the dirt and grime anymore. There are some things I know I need for sure. I need to have holes closed up in the engine bay. Anyone have a few holes they can suggest or perhaps a good before and after picture? I also need to modify the 1968 wiper motor bracket to clear an SR and the hood at the same time. Not going to be easy. Spoke to Icehouse briefly about that one. Having the rear light opening prepped for the GL lights, despite the cry of many a '68 lover.

Speaking of which I did order some new goodies. OEM NOS JDM fender mirrors, new parking light housings, a custom transmission crossmember and a second set of GL lights complete with that damn center garnish I couldn't find anywhere. Now I have a set of GL lights for sale with no center garnish or possibly a back up set. (Woooooht!!!) Pictures to come tonight of the parts that have come in.

Also early word from the shop is that the engine and transmission are out and have been lovingly given to a fellow Datsun lover free of charge (Give back to our community boys and girls, maybe the SR conversion gods will give us good karma.). The engine bay will be power washed, but so far it looks like almost zero rust!!! The shop will then reassemble the front end and decide what needs to be done.

Dennis, you know I trust you and would have preferred to do it that way too, but much like you I am going through some things that have been making it hard to work on the car. I was hoping, sincerely, that this would get me back on track. I don't want a show car, I want a driver's car.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These lights and the garnish are no where near the great shape of my other lights, so I had to try and see what I could do...

7452543444_a9a760cdeb.jpg

The back, specifically the mounting brackets were rusted to shit too...

7452545188_d0b52f7294.jpg

Did some shopping at home depot and $40 later I came home with this lovely mix...

7452546624_57dee11e15.jpg

Side by side shot of my first set of GL lights next to the 2nd set's center garnish. Clearly I am way off....

7452548176_0bcdbf0c97.jpg

7452549854_578548a6cd.jpg

7452551316_3b8680d204.jpg

Sooooo let's get to it. What's wrong besides the overspray???

7452567576_4778026c57.jpg

7452569300_0dabd83d15.jpg

Some 320 grit will solve a lot of life's problems...

7452570968_a95b898768.jpg

Then it was glass black paint to the rescue....

7452566194_aca7e46787.jpg

7452564514_724b155805.jpg

And that is where I wrapped for the night. Early prediction is that I'm going to have to spray the second set of lights too. The originals are not going to match since they are the unpainted original black. Anyone have any good ideas?

No, going to mask over it now and then spay a couple of new silver trim layers. Then clear it all.

I don't mind the gloss black to be honest. Thinking maybe of doing the JDM '73 grill the same way. Then powder coating the center steel grill in gunmetal to match the Watanabes.

What do you think bud? Also, the paint on the center is drying now. It isn't very smooth. Can I sand it down? Like a cars wet sand?

Hopefully will have bodywork updates soon.

Sure can sand it! I have had great success sanding spray paint. I then used a polish to remove the 2000 grit marks.

I did this to the metal trim that holds the top of the door cards. Came out super smooth.

@Laecaon - can you break me off with some specifics? Grit? Type of polish? I don't want to polish that, just the center section and the outside portions without texture.

@SR20DETdatsun510 - B Projects Japan. I'm pretty sure you can find them on eBay. $300 + $44 shipping.

Depends how rough it is to start. End at 2000. My guess is you will probably start anywhere from 400 to 800. Try 600 and if it isnt knocking it down fast enough go to 400. Then start stepping it up. Just dont get too greedy with the lower grits, you may eat too much.

400>600>800>1000>1500>2000

As for polish, well lots of things could work. I used what I had at the time, just some meguiars scratch-X. But anything that says it will remove scratches should work, its just spray paint.

Haha. Dont worry. As long as progress is getting done, it is still interesting. This is a site of Datsun lovers. It is not drawn out. It seems that the story is still unfolding. Even if you are just doing little things, it is another thing done, another thing you can say is making the car closer to what you want it to be.

I dont have this thread "followed", I dont really have any thread followed. When I see this thread bumped though, I make sure to check it out.

MOAAAR PROGRESS! get motivated. I made a ratsun account just so I could comment on this. This build is exactly what I want to do when I can get some funds together. I spent the last couple of hours being entertained by this thread, please continue. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

@Shagy - What up buddy!??! Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, I have been so, so busy working. I haven't seen any progress yet. How does my baby look??? I miss her lol. That cover looks awesome man. I am going to need more pictures ASAP.

@Katalyst - Thank you kindly. Just one step at a time. I'm very much still a rookie.

Looks great! It took me about only 30 minutes to tear out the stock l16 engine too bad it wasnt worth much :(

Stock L motors don't have a huge worth outside the Datsun community, but I would have loved to work on mine more. I don't have space or time at this point. Great motors, simple, and ample parts. The sr20det was definitely ambitious for a starter project and I am so swamped with work, the new house, and so many other projects that the Miracle Whip has been moving slow. Pictures to come this week of her progress at the shop. Not going to be making JCCS this year, but plan on having her ready to drive to the event next year.

Okay, so finally got progress pictures from the shop. I am not the most experience paint and body guy in the world, so I welcome criticism. Good, bad, ugly. You tell me your thoughts...

This is the inner, driver's side fender well. There was accident damage that was repaired poorly. You can see better pictures of it earlier in this same thread. The shop said that bondo was the best option because reshaping it in metal would not be cost effective. Youre thoughts...

7684421160_575e614649.jpg

7684419998_155477aac9.jpg

7684419008_b128653975.jpg

7684417974_34586d50e4.jpg

7684417164_d65d1c1c25.jpg

7684416224_1e18814837.jpg

7684415284_037bb2ede8.jpg

7684414338_560b2de8d0.jpg

Battery tray needs to be removed. Whole engine bay was treated with aircraft paint stripper and sanded down to the original brown primer. Brake booster, drive shaft and the rest are to be removed soon and work is to begin on the body. Hit me with thoughts and opinions people.

wow, they used some coarse grit paper on that bay. That is the quickest way but it will require a lot of filler to make it smooth. I wish James would have taken your 510, the quality of work that is being done so far would not be up to par with me. They should have soda blasted it then clean up what the soda couldnt take off. Chemical stripper is ok to use but if that much material was left behind then they either didnt use enough of it or they removed it too soon. I honestly do not think they even used stripper, if they did then why do you have all the paint one to two inches away from the crevices? I would be worried about the quality you are getting from these guys.

Also, they have had your car for 2 or 3 weeks and they have only done that so far? You wont have your car back for 6 months to a year.

**** edit ****

Looks like they took your 510 on at least June 20th if not earlier. So for 1.5 months that is all they have done? looks like an honest 2 to 3 hours worth of work.