My sr20det Datsun 510 build saga...

SSSEXXX

You might want to check in with Daniel at Tredspeed in Santa Clara, CA. He is a really good fabricator he used to work for Dan Gallmeister at DGR. They specialized mostly in drift cars and datsun particularly. He has vast knowledge on what works and what doesn't for an SR swap into a 510.

One thing though he is a bit of a lagger so if you do contact him don't pay him up upfront. He redid my intecooler piping recently after I had couplers popping off under high boost but it took him nearly two weeks too finish up the piping.

For your Z32 MAF You will have to rechip the ECU, piggyback it or go with a stand alone. The cheapest for me was a daughter board with ROM Chips and was a plug and play. Emance in San DIego did the tune and I was amazed at how accurate the tune was. 14.7;1 Idle Cruise 15:1, Acceleration 12:1, WOT 11:1

I am pushing 18psi at WOT on a T28R S15 OEM Turbocharger.

If you do go with a modest oem Garrett S15 will make you happy they sell around $500 new!

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For reference: I am running a 2860rs also, but with the .86 a/r on the turbine. Stock MAF, stock injectors, stock ECU, stock FPR, log manifold to 3" exhaust then corks down to a 2" Borla muffler. Running 12psi gets me 242hp, 16psi is 269hp. I bet I have a few ponies choked up in the 2" muffler. It is quite fun to drive, the 2860rs hits pretty good.

For reference: I am running a 2860rs also, but with the .86 a/r on the turbine. Stock MAF, stock injectors, stock ECU, stock FPR, log manifold to 3" exhaust then corks down to a 2" Borla muffler. Running 12psi gets me 242hp, 16psi is 269hp. I bet I have a few ponies choked up in the 2" muffler. It is quite fun to drive, the 2860rs hits pretty good.

Holy leaned out injectors batman. I dont think you can run that much boost on the stock injectors. Stock ecu? Im gonna have to raise a flag on this one. Unless you have an S15.

• Like 1

SSSexxx- Not trying to hijack your thread, I just wanted to show you what a mild SR will do. Your car is coming along super nicely and is going to be a blast to drive. One of my favorite parts of driving mine is to cruise on the freeway in the slow lane for a bit then put it in third and surprise people.

I need to collect a few more parts but plans are for a return to the dyno next summer looking for around 325+. Maybe that will be enough. (for a while lol...)

Damn! I stand corrected. Well played sir.

The last thing I worry about is a thread jack, as far as I am concerned I am just happy that someone out there cares enough to stop in and visit. Thank you for the support. You being able to run the ECU like that is unimaginable to me. Never thought it was possible.

I know it is possible to do what bababooey has done but most SR's wont last that long without putting a nice hole in your pistons. He has to be pushing close to 100% duty cycle on those injectors. One hiccup and bye bye pistons. Most tuners like to run the injectors at 85% duty cycle. Not saying that his engine wont last that long but at that boost he is pushing his fuel system to its max and running your injectors for prolonged 100% duty cycles can fry your injectors and that can lead to large holes in your pistons.

Now of that I am certain. I am not saying that I would do it. After the money I have dropped in to this build, it would be silly for me not to get a piggyback system to help with management. Don't get me wrong. The build has been fun, but tearing apart my engine again is definitely not on my top ten list brotha. PS called Datsport on the Watanabes... oddly enough they told me those would not fit????? Said +25 with the 280zx struts. Now I am really scratching my head....

Now of that I am certain. I am not saying that I would do it. After the money I have dropped in to this build, it would be silly for me not to get a piggyback system to help with management. Don't get me wrong. The build has been fun, but tearing apart my engine again is definitely not on my top ten list brotha. PS called Datsport on the Watanabes... oddly enough they told me those would not fit????? Said +25 with the 280zx struts. Now I am really scratching my head....

+25 is an odd offset for Wats. I know +38 is easy cause of the FWD crowd and right around 0 for old school RWD. Ever thought about Equip 03's? They will build them to almost any spec but they run around 1600.

WOW!!! Just scored some New Old Stock Watanabe RS-8s 15x6.5 +21. Literally brand new!!!! I am so excited that I nearly peed a little. Now I just have to do damn near anything and everything possible to make them fit lol!!!!

I have a concert tonight and will be gone through Thursday. Expect lots of pictures of new goodies that have arrived. Datsport transmission cover is in, so is the steering support, and more!!

This thread started out cool but has gone to shit since you decided to stop posting pics.:lol:

Also, are you going to run the Datsport kit or just use some parts to it?

Ha!!! It has gone to shit and that is my bad. Combined laziness with the a-holes at work cock blocking the use of flickr and I never get around to pictures. As soon as I get back I will have a lil' photo session and make you proud sir.

Thinking I will just use parts from the Datsport kit if I don't sell it for what I want to. I have that sway bar that you and I spoke about and I doubt that will work with the Datsport kit, but I haven't really researched either.

Making those wheels fit? They should fit easy. might need spacers if you plan on getting a flush look, but why bother as it will just limit your tire choice.

Well, this has actually been a point of major ambiguity and Dennis and I have been trying to figure it out. Everything he has read leads him, and myself, to believe that the Datsport kit just will not work well with 280zx struts. Since I am already commited to my 280zx struts and Wilwood BBK kit, I contacted Baz and co. over at Datsport. Trace said that +25 offset wheels would work fine with 280zx struts and I took a chance and snatched these +21 offset wheels up when I saw them. How often will we ever see a set of NOS Watanabe's and much less in that size?? Like Dennis mentioned +25 would be super hard to find and who knows what the condition would have been.

So since the Datsport kit does push out the stance of the car, but the 280zx struts bring it in a little I have no idea where I will wind up. I am hoping that if I am the luckiest dude ever that I will have to do some fendor rolling and won't need spacers because the wheels will sit super close to flush with the camber plates maxed out. Odds are that it will not be that simple....

I promise pictures soon fellas...

• 2 weeks later...

Better late than never right??? Well kids, I'm back from the holiday with a lot of goodies to show you. I know a lot of people are not going to agree with the direction of some of the pieces I have chosen, but the good news is that the build is going in a direction that I very much like. So with no further delay, let's get to the new toys....

The 1968 Candian market dash to replace the current 1968 USDM version I have in the car. Here is where some of you will call me Satan or that I am destroying an icon or just tell me I suck. Well, I respect your opinion, but I have an end game and a vision. Have some faith in me folks, this thing is going to knock your socks off. I promise. Reasons for the swap? I like the aesthics much more obviously, but the dash is also metal versus the USDM plastic piece which has seen better days. The passenger's side has a bit of a dent in it too. Also, I am in the market for a 1968 SSS guage cluser with the round faces. Rare, sexy, and also aesthetically more iconic...

6586045785_00aa45580f.jpg

Went with SSS side markers versus the 1968 USDM ones that came on the car. I did this for two reasons. First I needed new ones because my old markers didn't exactly come off too well and since I find some NOS SSS markers it was kind of a "no brainer." This is going to mean that essentially all the lighting on the car is NOS. Clean and sexy, the trend continues. The second reason is that the SSS markers are a slight bit larger and will match the '71+ front valence and lights that will be going on. And for those of you foaming at the mouth right now in pure rage, I will say that the car had a front end collision at some piont and the valence was already replaced with a bent and old '71+ valence. At least the one I am replacing it with is NOS..

6586074283_edc2c0b172.jpg

Side by side comparison... Well, kind of. I was a bit too lazy to take the old one out of the bag... yeah I know, I suck...

6586048147_6b27eddd26.jpg

Had some Australian goodies courtesy of Datsport magically appear too... Lovely lil' pieces that they are...

Transmission cover for the SR20DET conversion. Really quality piece. I can't praise Baz & T'race's customer service and product quality enough...

6586050435_2c2f929a36.jpg

6586053031_06eec63513.jpg

Datsport steering box support. No clue, absolutely none, on how to install this. But, it sure does look pretty..

6586055939_278d21d1e6.jpg

Good thing it came with this...

6586058927_11f3266c7e.jpg

Don't worry Dennis, you didn't wait all this time for me to stop there. I know I owe you guys pictures and I intend on coming through...

Custom front sump sway bar for the sr swap and great quality. Thanks again for the "heads up" Dennis...

6586061583_61b719d8cc.jpg

A simple, but pretty piece. A new billet aluminum valve cover center piece. A lot of guys go flashy and bling out this piece of the sr and I never really liked what it did to the aesthetic of the engine bay. I really want this swap to have a nod to the L series and a factory appearence. Considering even painting it the same color as the valve cover...

6586064129_df9f4701ec.jpg

AND FINALLY!!!! The thing that still has me grinning ear to ear... I feel like the damn Cheshire cat. There was a part of me that didn't believe it even after I paid for them. Sitting in the garage of an older Japanese guy's home in Japan were these NOS Watanabe RS-8s. 15" x 6.5" +21 and never mounted, never used, never been out of the original boxes. I have always adored these wheels, nay drooled over them and have seen plenty of sets in the last year. None, absolutely none of them were new. One set on ebay was being sold by a fellow 510er and they were near immaculate. Completely refurbished and rebuilt. Still yet, they were not as clean as these bad boys are. So I think you can feel my joy now. Vintage JDM NOS like this is something that makes me tear up in jubilation a lil bit...

6586066671_aa907d32a8.jpg

6586069123_8ab82e7988.jpg

6586071515_dba9da7458.jpg

6586043059_76900f7132.jpg

Now it is time to get back to work on the suspension, powder coating, and pick up the brakes from Al over at Datsun Parts, LLC. Still don't know where the hell my Datsport conversion and handling kit is. Getting a bit upset now at the gentleman that sold it to me....