My sr20det Datsun 510 build saga...

SSSEXXX

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Homeboy at the bodyshop was sitting on your core support. Time for a rescue mission! Please don't let this get you too down, this car has come so far. Keep at it and you will forget about all of this on the first rolling burnout :devil: .

Looks like Homeboy at the bodyshop was sitting on your core support. Time for a rescue mission! Please don't let this get you too down, this car has come so far. Keep at it and you will forget about all of this on the first rolling burnout :devil: .

Good catch, it does look a little twisted.

Got more updates today. Going to head down there on Friday to figure out if I am going to pull the project. I expressed my unhappiness and the shop said they were more than willing to do the work any way suggested, but it was a bit early to judge them. I'm indifferent. Dennis' opinion has never failed me though.

7733040930_5f25e7d1fd.jpg

7733041652_63833ec423.jpg

On a happier note, what are your thoughts on color?? I was planning on BMW Alpine White, but a recent black SSS from Japan has me thinking about Jet Black instead. Hit me with picture inspiration!!

That's okay, I'm asking for opinions here. I just saw a black SSS Coupe from Japan with bright, clean chrome and it looked stunning. I'm still thinking Alpine White with a super shiny clear to make it pop. I want it to be timeless you know?

A black (or just about any dark color) paint job requires really really good straight flat crisp bodywork..........it shows every imperfection. I have seen resto projects with new paint that were ruined, because the bodywork was not good enough for the dark color, and it just looked like crap. If you are paying the big bucks for paint, and you expect a killer paint job, then black may suit your desires.

A white (or just about any light color) paint job is VERY forgiving! If the bodywork is only good (depends on the bodyshop!!), then a light color will not show the imperfections as easily..........they won't stand out like a sore thumb! I love white 510's!!

Datsuns level of quality in their sheetmetal was not the best........they were a $2000 econo box! With bodywork & paint on ANY car, you get what you pay for!

To me, dark colors dont belong on 510s; it hides too much of the body lines and such.

Light colors always look good. I think the cars a little playful looking to be in such a serious color as black.

I think its kinda cool that a car can be designed where black is not a good option, but any other color is. While Orange is a bit strong for me, The car can take the color, blues always look good, some greens, reds, yellows, and of course whites.

I painted mine Subaru White, though I have plans for Audi Glacier White.

@dennis - Damn man, I see what you were saying with regard to body work. That thing looks extremely well done. I only hope for that kind of shiny finished product. It always makes me wonder why people don't use the bumpers. I think the chrome would really look good on this car too. To each their own I guess.

Yes sir!! Bumpers are 110% going on. I'm 50/50 on bumper guards too. It isn't as clean of a look, but pays homage to the JDM roots of the car. I would love to find some of those all rubber JDM ones.

That black dime just looks better and better every time. So clean and well done.