I need to vent

Just gotta vent out my ticket

Went on a cruise to alice's on Sunday with my buddies, everything was fine and dandy until we were heading back. We come to a stop sign an there he was, San mateo county sheriff... I was like fuuuuuuuuu.. Look both ways, and hea off with my buddies behind me. The sheriff passed up both my friends, pulls up behind me and wham, the dreaded sirens. I pull over into a parking lot and wait.

"I pulled you over for your modified exhaust"

"it's just a muffler, I said"

"it's still modified, do you have anything unde the hood?"

"just a k&n ( trying to pass off my msa shortram)

"where's the carb number for that?"

"it's just an air filter?"

"yeah you need a carb number for that"

Fuuuuuu

"that breather filter and bov aren't legal either" he said

FUUUUU

"you're also too low" he goes on

FUUUUUUUUU

"I'll be right back"

He leaves me to ponder what number I'm gonna have to pull out of my wallet in a month.

"come over here please"

Great... <_<

"so I'm giving you a ticket for modified exhaust and modified smog, you'll have to go to the ref if you want it signed off"

I scribble my signiture and leave..

Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

So that was my nice experience cruising up to alice's and back. Oh joy

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot belive people still let the cops get away with this "modified" exhaust crap. The modification is only illegal if its eliminates the cats or produces a sound louder then 95db @ a certain RPM (to be dertermined by how the SAE testing is done).

You need to fight this ticket. Put your stock air box and and your breather tube. Did he measure your car? Its measured @ the center of the headlamp to the ground.

Fight this shit!

and carry a code book with you, its saved me MANY TIMES!!

BTW...are we required to pop our hoods....cause isnt that an illegal search?

I think the key here is to fight teh particular ticket and know the laws that apply to your... too low? come on! car problem is no matter what you still have to deal with it. just dial in your car and enjoy yourslef if they pull you over you can have confidence to tell them to f off

I live in cali theres def tons of pros and cons weather is hard to beat, we get summer driving basically all year round!!

I think the key here is to fight the particular ticket and know the laws that apply to your... too low? come on! car problem is no matter what you still have to deal with it. just dial in your car and enjoy yourself if they pull you over you can have confidence to tell them to f off

I live in cali theres def tons of pros and cons weather is hard to beat, we get summer driving basically all year round!!

i got pulled over once in my 98 turbo eclipse car was super clean no stickers or nothing, it had front spoiler and wheels and lowered and greddy exhaust. car had mods out the ass but were all factory evo 6 parts from japan so it LOOKED stock but had bigger different turbo no cat cams thing wouldnt pass smog to save its life.

Got pulled over for turning right on a red when you couldnt then he comes up to the window and asks " is exhaust the only thing done on this car?" i said i dont now bought it this way he says "pop the hood"

Now at this point i was laughing inside because the thing looked stock except for the intercooling pipes that were powder coated black with red couplers.

Hes sitting there looking and asks "what are those pipes for?" i said i dont know exactly something to do with the intercooler. and then hes said shut the hood. if he woulda looked under the car for a cat i would've been effed.

I still dont know if he had the right to ask me to pop the hood... ill ask one of my cop friends they are narcotics but they worked the street ill see what they say

Bottom line is the majority of people cops or not dont have a clue about cars

its our job to defend ourselves no one else will and you know how cops can be

A excerpt from an article written in 2006:

Too fast, too furious? Too busted, police say Owners of souped-up cars, beware.

Oakland Tribune, Jun 8, 2006 by Christine Morente, STAFF WRITER

For the first time in the county, three teams of officers from San Mateo County law enforcement agencies will be out Friday night, searching for illegal street racers and inspecting cars.

"We just want to make sure people understand it's not OK to have cars illegally modified in San Mateo County," said Timothy Birch, a Daly City police management analyst. "We can impound cars or do whatever it takes to get the message across."

<SNIP>

Friday afternoon, police will learn during a four-hour training session in Burlingame how to spot illegally modified cars. Birch said police officers will look out for cars that are brightly colored or have lettering and graphics.

"Obviously, there's nothing illegal about that ... but sometimes, when a car is painted that way, it's tied with illegal modifications," he said. "If a car is too loud, or doesn't meet emissions requirements -- because it's a violation -- it allows an officer to pull a car over and gives police the right to go underneath the hood to see if anything has been modified."

Officers will also look for stolen parts. Birch said law enforcement agencies aren't in a position to deal with the vendors.

"We're not equipped to do it," he said. "In San Mateo County, there's very few shops that overtly sell stuff that's illegal. We can only deal with what we're seeing after it's installed."

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, walks like a duck.... it probably is. If your car is illegal why not keep a low profile? Loud exhaust screams at cops to pull you over. WTF do you expect? If your car is the right legal height carry a tape measure with you and show the cop. If it's too low, again, WTF do you expect? Don't call attention to yourself by squealing the tires going around corners and shit and he won't be looking under the hood for 'illegal mods'. Play the game to win, know more than they do, be in the right.

• Like 1

But there is nothing worse than almost knowing the law cause that will screw you even more.wink.gif

If by some chance the officer knows the law inside and out and you dont,,your going to get a rectal exam like you never had before..

hence another reason i will NEVER live in Cali. and if i do go down there, i am RENTING a car. no way in hell i am taking anything i own down there. well MAYBE my caprice. its stock except for god awful wheels.

I think a lot of this is a California thing. Like I mentioned, I drive the 510 around Spokane and CDA with a glasspack, that's it. Harleys roar around all day long. No one really gets hassled unless they're doing something majorly stupid. I got pulled over in the Miata a lot because I was using public roads as my personal race track, but I'm not surprised by that.

Cali is fun to visit, but any state bent on not having vehicles modified in any fashion is not a state I want to live in. And the bullshit is that a '32 Ford ratrod will be fine any day of the week, yet a modified mid 80's Japanese vehicle attracts way more attention. Who pollutes more?

There are many sides to this argument, but only a few ways to go. Either leave that state, or go totally illegal with folding license plates and a shitload of power and handling to outrun the cops. Probably not the best idea. Better yet is fake everything. Hell, my Datsun guru put his Mazda pickup through smog here with a Weber on it. Cut out the stock filter plate, mocked everything up, passed inspection no problem. That was back when they used to check. Now they don't even open the hood on older rigs.

I don't think any of us are gonna go James bond anytime soon hahaha. I still think the whole American favouritism is messed up, but what can you do? I can get a 60's chevy with cherrybombs and a blower sticking out of the hood, but in the end there will be a hundred other 60's Chevys like that. My late friend got me into datsuns the first time he took me for a ride in his 260, I haven't considered anything else since then. There's always gonna be a bias towards domestics, and that's something you can accept or go buy American. I think we get datsuns because they are a dying breed, they are unique, they are capable of some amazing feats considering their age, that is why I drive one, and keep fixing it hahaha agreed California sucks, but there's no better place in my opinion, and I have been around the country a bit. In my case, all I can do is bite the bullet and pay up. Now I know better. Atleast local pd where I live is very lax on imports and the whole car culture.

I still think the whole American favouritism is messed up, but what can you do?

When I lived in San Mateo, a friend of mine owned a very nice, clean 1967 Mustang with a newer 5.0 engine swap. The local PD provided him with the same treatment.

Even though his vehicle was a 1967 and no longer needed a bi-annual smog inspection, they made him pop the hood and questioned him about the drivetrain. They asked for receipts for the newer engine to prove it wasn't stolen. His engine bay was photographed by the police, and documented.

He was referred to an emissions inspection, and got the same type of treatment that you also received.